Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

First flight of F-20

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

First flight of F-20

Old 11-19-2005, 12:17 PM
setxws6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First flight of F-20

Took the F-20 out yesterday afternoon to a local grass flying field. All I have to say is wow! This is a great flying plane. On take off the plane left with no rolling left or right, just straight out at a 45* angle. I got the plane higher and started trimming. I need about 40-50% up elevator trim and that was it! I didn't have to give it any aileron trim at all! No trim for the rudder because it is locked. I noticed that under half throttle that the nose would want to drop a bit, and I think it is because it is still slightly nose heavy.
I tested the stall of the plane and pointed the nose into the wind. At stall, all it did was drop the nose nice and easy and roll slightly to the left...pretty good for a delta style wing and no washout. When landing, it just glided in really nice. Just give it a little nose up and it settled in with ease.

Overall great flying plane with excellent slow speed manners. I didn't go balls to the wall with it and push to see how much speed I could get out of it, but it does fly very quick. Hell, at half throttle, it was flying as fast as my GP stick would fly at full throttle, same motor. The roll rate was awesome to say the least. I can now pull off those fighter style manuvers I like and have great vertical. Great plane!!!

Old 11-19-2005, 07:31 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Default RE: First flight of F-20

Glad to hear the maiden went well with out any bad flight Characteristics. Looks good and flies good. What else could you ask for.
Old 11-20-2005, 04:09 AM
crasharama

Congrats on a successful maiden !!

Nice when it flies out without much trim the first time..

Tony.
Old 11-21-2005, 04:15 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Im pleased to hear of the first flight!

This will be a good thread to hand on to. Lots of folks ask about the SA F-20

Enjoy the plane!

Bob
Old 11-21-2005, 04:46 PM
SPEED JUNKIE
My Feedback: (14)

Sweet bird![sm=thumbup.gif]

Glad the maiden went perfect!

Now pedal to the metal and give us some picture's of inverted 130mph fly by's 2 ft of the ground![X(]

Rev on my Bretheren!

Rev Bro #118 [sm=RAINFRO.gif]
Old 11-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Setwxs6,

Nice to hear you had awsome maidin flight, now keep it flying for ssometime before loosing it, its very pretty bird.

I did same with my beaver yesterday and man it was hand full of flight!...

Cheers,

Sammy
Old 11-21-2005, 11:34 PM
setxws6

Thanks for the complements! It is a great looking plane. So now I guess I could get into the REV BRO club?!
Old 11-22-2005, 09:35 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: setxws6

Thanks for the complements! It is a great looking plane. So now I guess I could get into the REV BRO club?!
Quick questions if you will...... how did the engine/muffler/prop combination work for you?? Any comments on the performance, any rpm readings you might have ?

Bob
Old 11-22-2005, 02:44 PM
setxws6

I don't have any rpm readings, but I think I was running a little rich mixture. As the gas went down during flight, it started leaning out. Once it started to lean out it really started moving! I used a 10x6 prop which seemed to give it great vertical, even when not at full throttle. I think the TT Pro .46 is still a great motor for this plane, even though a lot of people go with a .50 or higher.
Old 11-22-2005, 03:56 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice job![sm=thumbup.gif] Be sure to keep a little speed while turning. Mine dropped like a rock, my fault tho. When it gets back togeather I won't make that mistake again.