Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

New owner of a "SpideyLash" (1st. flight)

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

New owner of a "SpideyLash" (1st. flight)

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2002, 05:31 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default New owner of a "SpideyLash" (1st. flight)

Got Spidey on Wed. and how pleased I was! Got him together and went out Sat. for the first flight. It is set up w/ digital Hitec 5945's, sullivan horns, 4-40 rods, (was JR 331) on the throttle, but now have JR 3421 digital (overkill, I know, but what I had laying around), and OS 46 FX w/MAC's small pipe (test purposes).

-The first attempt ended with the plane pitching down and to the left breaking the APC 9 X 7.
-Second attempt ended with the same senario except breaking a APC 9 X 7.5 (or 9.5 X 7.5) can't remember.
-Third attempt with a little up trim on the elevator ended in the same as the first two except this time it did not break the 10 X 7 Master Airscrew.
-Forth attempt, I added even more up trim and finally, SUCCESS!!!

Flew it around and ended up removing all the up trim and actually had one click of down. I had about 3-4 clicks right and we're good. It flew great and was a blast. It did have a tendancy to "tuck" or fall on left banks. I did not notice this at all on right turns. All in all, it was a great first flight even if it took 4 tries to get that first flight.
Landing wasn't too much of a problem. I landed a little bit away from me so it was hard to judge the speed, but again, success.

I fired it up for a second go and as we were walking out to the flight line, the throttle servo decided it had enough (331). It was an old servo, so no big deal. I'll have to wait until tomorrow for flights 2, 3, 4,.......and so on

I'll post some pics of my set up soon.

Thanks Rick for a fine product.

George
Old 11-11-2002, 07:07 PM
George

Default Set-up

Here's the servo side.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	34994_319.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	22194  
Old 11-11-2002, 07:09 PM
George

Default Set-up

Here's the elevon side.

Name:	34996_319.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	30.2 KB
ID:	22195  
Old 11-11-2002, 07:22 PM
George

Default Flights 2 & 3

I tell you what!, this thing is a blast.

Launches went off w/o a hitch. I know the instructions say do not throw, but we have have found with the OS 46 FX set-up, it helps to give it a little "push". Sorry Rick, but it definitely helps me out.

Second & third flights went great. I have found that flying on high rate elevator with about 70% expo (JR) works for me. I am going to increase the elevator throw for landings above the high rate setting b/c it feels like I'm running out, even on high. I will only use that setting for landing though.

Plane flies great still and the "tucking" I experienced in the first flight is still present, but I know its there and can compensate and basically make it a non-issue.

I just want to say these are just my experiences and what works for me and wanted to pass on the info. in case someone was looking.

THANKS AGAIN RICK & ACM

Happy WhipLash owner,
George

Name:	34998_319.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	22196