Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

This could be an interesting plane!

Old 11-27-2005, 11:57 PM
DaveR
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default This could be an interesting plane!

HobbyPeople is releasing an 88" DeHavilland Comet ARF. They don't have a picture on the web yet, but there is one in their latest flyer, it's red. It's a bit expensive at $350, plus 2 engines very $$$$ if you choose a pair of Jett 90, but it certainly will be easier to keep in sight and I bet there won't be many at your field.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:49 AM
HaveBlue

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: This could be an interesting plane!

thats my next project..power will be two 60lx on pipes.. but I'm going to build it off a set plans with slightly more streamlining to engine nacelles which house the retracts..I saw this ARF shortly after finding a write up on a 2mtr span model built from plans.. the arf wont cut it in the power department.. but I think either would scream!!..the fuse on the DH88 is sleek

http://www.airbornemagazine.com.au/artDH-88.htm

the current issue has a write up on the arf version to
Old 11-28-2005, 01:08 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

HAVE BJUE;

Wow, one bueatiful airplane. Glas I do not have two of any of the Jett enginess or would be tempted to follow your large footsteps. When you get to the build, keep us posted. Wish I could afford to go down under to see the maden, would be worth the trip! ENJOY
Bro 119
Old 11-28-2005, 07:28 AM
crasharama

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Haveblue,
This is the link to Model Engines website they are distirbuting the Awesome R/C products, including the DH Comet.
Yours should be a screamer with a pair of LX onboard. The airborne review says about electric conversion, with firewalls that accept elcts & glow for power, with 32-40 2 stokes.

Tony.

http://www.modelengines.com.au/awesome%20rc.htm
Old 11-28-2005, 02:34 PM
HaveBlue

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hey Crash how's it going..would we be speed freaks if we dropped in the recommended engines?????, maybe I posted the wrong link..I dont recall any thing about electrics..it was a 40 size though..but when I first started looking around for a differnt speed project a few montha ago , and came across the DH88 I knew that a couple of 60lx's would be PERFECT..well I still have to get my first 60lx, I phoned Dub the other day about getting a 60lx with pipe but I'm a bit worried as Bob said something about them not turning that much higher than the .50 ..so I had to sort it out.. I need the 60lx for the whiplash I have... anyway the phone conversation soon turned to a history lesson about Thanks giving...so I'm still none the wiser about those 60lx engines but I do know alot about thanksgiving!!!!!..sheeesh..heck of a nice guy that Dub Jett

ps ..maybe you mean the review on the arf.. I doubt it would handle the 60lx.. but Airborne has a set of plans for a DH88 which I could build specifically for the lx's.... would love to hear two of those engines on full song
Old 11-28-2005, 02:54 PM
crasharama

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Haveblue,
Yeah sorry I meant the ARF kit through Awesome R/C. 2 60jx's would sound very cool.
Tony.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:17 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thats a nice looking plane. I was considering a twin and that price fits my wallet real good. I think a pair of G90s will be very impressive in that thing.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:14 AM
DaveR
My Feedback: (7)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't know for certain, but I bet the Awesome R/C ARF is the same one HobbyPeople is importing. It has the same wingspan, and scale retracts will be an option for it too.
Old 11-29-2005, 04:52 AM
crasharama

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yeah Dave,
I would say it is, just different names for different countries. I have always liked the shape of this plane, & am sure it would look great scooting around the field.
Tony.
Old 11-29-2005, 12:05 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the FIRE 60LX does turn higer rpm than the FIRE-50, and the FIRE-50LX (whiplash engine) on the same prop. The 60LX will turn more prop at the same rpm. When you get to tuning points/prop selection around 19,000 ground rpm I usually recommend going up in prop dia/pitch on the 60LX and using the hp that way. Higher rpm is possible, but you have to cut the header/pipe so short it becomes a pain in the buns to install. Either way, its a ton of power.
Old 11-29-2005, 02:42 PM
HaveBlue

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

RMENKE, you'd be more than welcome, although I'm more of a dreamer than an achiever and at the moment just one 60lx is out of my range for now, so dont expect the DH88 anytime soon, sheesh I still have the AKM Flanker sitting in a box along with a JUNO RC Hornet, at least I have a pair of Jett 90l's one for each, ... with all that said though,I am willing to put those two jets on hold further and concentrate on getting my act together with the DH88 and buy my first 60lx which will be trialed on a whiplash... I've noted what Bob has mentioned here about the 60lx's ( cant get these engines out of my mind)

Bob as far as "pain to install" goes, I live in a world of pain so bring it on!!!! plus I love a challenge[>:]

if I can get rid of my 1/5 scale FG road car and the 1/6 scale buggy..man those engines are as good as mine!!! so is the comet

will try to get this project moving asap
cheers
Roger
I have put my revver status on suspension till I hit my target- a 200mph plane, then and only then will I wear my revver number #95!!!
Old 11-29-2005, 02:51 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man.... looks nice. I want the C-130 though
Old 11-29-2005, 03:01 PM
HaveBlue

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

One really good thing about the ARF that I forgot to mention is that all control horns are internal..(though I'm not sure about the ailerons)....looks like they wanted to keep this one as clean as possible
Old 11-30-2005, 11:26 AM
SunShyne
My Feedback: (68)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bob27s

Man.... looks nice. I want the C-130 though
me 2 although the comet does look nice. Wonder if these will be available here in the US?

matt
Old 12-05-2005, 08:58 PM
growingupisoptional

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

My Comet is nearly ready to go. Maybe this weekend if the weather fines up.
I was looking at four strokes to fit but the price was prohibitive so I went with 2 x OS 46 AX engines. They fit in beautifully and the exhausts line up nicely with the sides of the cowling. I also like the sound two strokes make when they are on song together. This will be my second twin.
The flap servo arm is external but like a review I read about this plane I fitted it inside the wing and cut holes thru it to make the lines cleaner.
I'm also fitting a landing light in the nose activated by the flap servo.
HS-125 MG thin wing servo's are expensive but have just received them from Tower.
Staying with the fixed gear at the moment until after the test flight and when I can save some money up for them.
If I fly this weekend I will report back. From all accounts I have heard it is an easy flier and does well on one engine.
Hopefully it is fast. I want a scale twin that is fast. May have to play around with different prop sizes.

Cheers J
Old 02-23-2006, 12:40 AM
kev71h

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got the DH 88

Opinions on the .52 4 strokes.....enough power??? I hate the 2 stroke "muffler look" outside the cowels...uuuuugly. BUT would .70 4 strokes fit without moving the motor mount?????? Will it be center???

.x2 .52 Four strokes seem to be a medium powerhouse for thie 88 inch baby..any thoughts?? I have a pair of .46 Tower Hobbies (OS replica) with tuned pipes but the pipes are kind of bulkey. and ugly.

I hope the .52 4 strokes would fly it "well"....... (?)

Kevin
Old 02-23-2006, 01:32 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

How about some RCV inline engines?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:52 PM
TEAMERICA
My Feedback: (77)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got my DH-88 Comet a couple weeks ago from Hobby People in Fountain Valley, CA.
[link=http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/190101.asp]DH-88 Comet[/link]

I have installed 2 Magnum .52 4-strokes that I had laying around. They are good engines with the power of an OS .46FX. But I think a better sound. However if you ever flew the DH-88 on the Microsoft Flight Simulator 2004, you know that those 6 Cyl. engines sound like Indy Car engines. So a two stroke R/C engine might be a more realistic sound for this particular airplane. But I have the 4-strokes so I am using them. I had one of these .52s in a GeeBee "Z" but had to replace it with an OS .70 FS. You could put the OS .70 FS in the Comet as well very easily.

I also have the retracts installed for that cleaner "cross country" look. I think, if the gear never extended, you could probably still land on the wheels in the retracted position. LOL

I like the landing light idea in the nose. Make it bright so you can show it off in the daylight too.

Old 03-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Just got to see one at the LHS. Nice looking plane.
Old 03-23-2006, 01:45 PM
G.W.
My Feedback: (22)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What are you guys getting for weights?