Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

40 size prop jets, what are they?

Old 11-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Auburn02
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default 40 size prop jets, what are they?

Forgive me if this has been discussed 279 times here before, but it's 1 a.m. and my eyes have gone cross from looking at pictures and reading various threads all night. Years ago I had a GP Patriot (kit) with a YS .45, retracts, the works...loved that plane, but it met it's demise following a radio failure and a 100+ mph nosedive. Got out of the hobby for a while, and have been back in it several months now and am looking at my options once again for a prop jet. The F20 is obviously very popular and I'm very intrigued (none at the local field), but which models are available? From what I've seen Cermark used to make one, now they don't but the Kangke is the same model? Is Direct Connection still around? Sportsman Aviation? Looking at ARFs primarily, but just wanted to see what the market has to offer these days.

Thanks.
Old 11-28-2005, 02:50 AM
setxws6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: 40 size prop jets, what are they?

Sportsman Aviation make an ARF. I really like mine. Fly's great.

Old 11-28-2005, 11:06 AM
Auburn02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Man, that thing is fine. You may have just convinced me. Have you added retracts to yours? I've seen that some have, some don't think it's worth the trouble, some would never be without them. I think I'd be forced to find room for them somewhere. Also, only one servo for the elevators and one for the ailerons? I've lost some good planes to some miniscule details and I think I'd want a little more peace of mind than that. Then again, that would add a good bit of weight, but I could possibly make up for some of it somwhere.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:26 AM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The old Direct Connection was apparently purchased by BRC design whos principal business is graffics. I have seen their rc site from time to time, but always loose their rc web address that Bob from Jett Engineering.com provided. It is strange and obvioussly not not good business to have some link to their RC sales on the principal brc web site. In addition to the DC F-20, they also sell the old Tsunami 40 which has been the most versitle sports airplane I have ever come accross. I hounded DC to kit a 60 verson of the Tsunami as did others. They never got around to it, the business attitude I suspect was one of the major reasons DC went under. It appears BRC design is sadly following in their footsteps. BRC tells me they will have a 60 version of the Tsunami after the first of the year. Hope they get their RC act togeather for their sake and ours.
Old 11-28-2005, 12:04 PM
crasharama

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Cobra99,
This was my Pheonix F20, 40 size with the Jett SJ50. Unfortunatley it is no more but fun while it lasted.

Tony....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84006.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	361625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nj25723.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	53.0 KB
ID:	361626  
Old 11-28-2005, 02:14 PM
setxws6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It sure does get some attention from others at the field. I decieded to go with a simple/strong method with this one. There's no retracts for the Sportsman Aviation F-20, but I have seen a few others similar designs that allow retracts. There are only 4 servos E/R/A/T. I just made sure I built the plane strong to with-stand high speed g-force and hard landings. So far it fly great. I would recommend it for sure.
Old 11-28-2005, 08:35 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I just bought a DC F20 from junorc.com. They have the rights to sell this plane again. For $75, I figured it would be fun to build another
Old 11-29-2005, 09:57 AM
Auburn02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

So is there a good thread around here that details the differences in all the F-20s? From what I've seen the Kangke, Sportsman, and DC are all 47" wingspan, 54" long. Are the wings all in roughly the same location? Some further forward, some further aft, etc? On that same note I see that the Phoenix F-20 has a 57" span and is 53" long. I wonder is that a typo or is it really that different of a design?

Obviously several factors to think about. Again, I don't want to build a kit right now, but the DC does say it can be built for retracts. Hell, at that kit's price, I might have to get a Sportsman/Kangke/Phoenix ARF to fly and a DC kit to build.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming if you have anything to add!
Old 11-29-2005, 11:58 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rmenke

The old Direct Connection was apparently purchased by BRC design whos principal business is graffics. I have seen their rc site from time to time, but always loose their rc web address that Bob from Jett Engineering.com provided. It is strange and obvioussly not not good business to have some link to their RC sales on the principal brc web site.
BRC Design is my web hosting business. Not an r/c business (other than hosting a few hobby reltated web sites)

Correct distributor of the Direct Connection kits is Juno R/C www.junorc.com

Bob

Old 11-29-2005, 05:17 PM
setxws6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That's not a typo, the Phoenix F-20 does have a larger wing. This makes a little less speed and less wing loading.
Old 11-30-2005, 08:52 AM
Auburn02

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Less speed, less wing loading? Sounds like less fun!

Do you know what differences, if any, there are between the Sportsman and the Kangke other than 20 bucks or so on the price?
ORIGINAL: setxws6

That's not a typo, the Phoenix F-20 does have a larger wing. This makes a little less speed and less wing loading.