Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum Arf

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 10:38 PM
teg-1
My Feedback: (336)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum Arf

Has anybody flown or seen fly the new MAGNUM Arf
by WWW. modellbau-usa.com
They are claiming it will fly in excess of 200 MPH !
JOHN
Old 10-21-2002, 11:26 PM
roywiglesworth

Default Magnum Arf

i've got one been flying it for the last 3 or 4 months got maybe
30 flights on it.its the fastest thing at our field.until i hope this weekend when i fly my new whiplash.the magnum a good buy for the money.i would suggest you bal. it slightly to the tail heavy
side if not and you slow it down to land you'll never get the nose up for a good landing.the nose is a little flimsey and the bottom.
i miss up on a landing and got the nose ring and a couple pieces of wood so when i put it back together i used 3/4 oz cloth and fiberglassed the first 2 inches of the nose seems to be real strong now.take and put a piece wood stripe down the bottom
of the fuse about 6 inches it will save the bottom of the plane.
as far as going 200 mph don't think it makes it. at least not in the real world you might see it on a radar gun but those are about
the most worthless things to rely on,unless your a cop and just trying to collect money for the state we're going to mark out
500 at our field when we get a chance and take a reading the most accurate way with a stop watch,but i'm guessing the way it looks i would say 165-170mph but still for the combo and the price i don't think you can go wrong when you fly the plane till the cover comes off you still have a good motor and pipe you can stick on something else.

roy
Old 10-27-2002, 10:59 PM
Isaac F

Default Magnum Arf

Roywiglesworth has right on the balance of the Magnum.
The instrucction says balance on 120mm but I sugest something like 130mm.

My is 125mm but still nose heavy on landing.

This thing is very fast and for the price is the best deal you can get. They called the engine West 50 or Euro West but the true is that the engine is a Webra 50 modified by Webra factory with Weston UK specs.........BOTTONLINE: This engine scream and its very powerfull.

If you get a Magnum, install a bigguer fuel tank, because the one included is to little and give you a short time flying. I install a Dubro 8 onz but MAYBE you can fit a 10 onz

Hey roywiglesworth, were is your balance?? Around 130mm or more???

What prop you are using??

Isaac
Old 10-28-2002, 01:49 AM
RampRat

Default Magnum Arf

I've balanced my Magnum at 130mm's and it's a beauty to land..

Just make sure you have enough elevator-throw if you wanna slow it down... ...not that you'll ever get it to slow down much tough...

It's quite easy to fly considering the size and the speed, but it sure get's out of visual range fast!

If you don't mind a smallish agile wasp, this is a model for you!

Old 10-28-2002, 02:00 AM
roywiglesworth

Default Magnum Arf

i think it was either 130 or 135 .if i rember right i got it at 130
flew it and still put a small piece of lead in the tail.these fast little planes that have to be belly landed on a dead stick i'm happy when its dead coming in and elevator neutral stick neutral and has slowed down its glide is basicly flat you can then yank the nose up briefly kill the rest of the speed but still have enough for a good flair. i've tried a bunch of difernt props but the best i've tried has been a 9x8 and a 9x9 i think the temperture of the air just makes it change a little i might try some of the ones again that didn't work good in the summer heat.i know the 8x8 they sugested was not as fast or the couple of other props i've seen others say they were running i will continue to play with differnt ones untill i don't think i can get any more out of it.

roy
Old 11-01-2002, 09:21 PM
SSGSPEEDMAN

Default Magnum Arf

Could a mvvs GRRT .40 fit ? So far as the engine mount, or

would you need a bigger one?
Old 11-01-2002, 10:04 PM
roywiglesworth

Default Magnum Arf

yeah i've had a couple of those motors and they look about
the same size and it should give good results.i'm not sure if it will do better then the webra that comes with it .its a verrrry strong motor.but if you already have the motor and pipe you could just buy the plane only kit.

roy
Old 11-02-2002, 04:44 AM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Default Magnum Arf

Check post #5 in this thread:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/showthread...519&forumid=26]
Old 11-02-2002, 07:05 AM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Default radar gun vs stop watch

I assume your joking about a radar gun being less accurate. People holding a stop watch and trying to guess when it crosses two imaginary lines. Plus reaction time starting and stopping. Its less than two seconds on a 500 foot course to start with. This information compared to a tuned radar gun accurate to within 1 mph (= 18 inches on your course) is hardly worth mentioning.
Old 11-02-2002, 11:57 PM
roywiglesworth

Default Magnum Arf

no i'm not joking about the radar gun.been in radio communications for about 30 yrs. about 10yrs ago had a few customers come in thatwanted to beat radar guns so i started to do some research on radar principles radar is based on return and absorbshion if you will take a stepvan a motorcycle and a corvette and get a radar gun you will see very simple how unreliable they are take all 3 go down the road say 60 mph not the speed on the speed odometer when they are all three nose to nose then go back run the same speed that your speed ometer was showing you'll see the stepvan showed the most speed the motorcyle the second the corvette the least.why the stepvan will have the most return and metal makes a good reflection.the bike you might think this would be the least because
of the smallest size that would be a good guess but the corvette
is fiberglass plus it has one advantage i never have got a straight
answer from guys in the auto industry buta corvette's radatior is at a slant a good portion of the return is not coming straight back
its going up .now if you'r going to check the same plane its proberly makes things simple but if they are differnt it could be some differnces.think about something like a diamond dust that has carbon fiber rods a stealth 117 has a lot of carbon fiber it absorbs proberly better than 90% of radar that why its radar invisable.but it all gets back to how accuarte you want to get if you don't come straight down the line at the radargun each time
just 10 degress off will show a differnt reading.if you use the stop watch method yes there is human error but with 2 stopwatches at the start the clock run lin and stop the clock line with two people it should be close.thats why the national hot rod assocation doesn't have radar units they use stop watches.

roy
Old 11-03-2002, 03:48 AM
jlong34016

Default NHRA

They dont use a stop watch number one. Number two how do you think they get top speed number if they dont use radar or laser. Number three all vehicles have a radar signature and can be clocked accurately and precisely.
My radar gun will clock a BB. Im sure some cheapo models are not very useful. My gun gets the dust over 1000 feet away. The whiplash less than that.
10 years ago is an eternity in electronics.
Old 11-03-2002, 04:14 AM
roywiglesworth

Default Magnum Arf

what your sayingis radar absorbtion & dirrectablity is impossible?
send a fm chirp back to a radar unit and watch what happens
top speed is still determed by time lasp. 10 years have nothing to do with return signal if you don't get the same amount of return
you'll get a differnt reading .thats how 117 is "radar invisible"
yes your radar might pick up a bb but a bb will not have the return of a tractor trailer.i'm not say that don't have there use but to totaly rely on it would be rediclous .and it has no bearing on being a exspencive gun or a cheap gun the good gun will take a reading at a longer range.now if you want to get more realistic
try a lasar unit alot more precise & exspencive and also can be inaccurate if you direct the beam from coming striaght back or by sending back bougas light flashes back to the recieving unit .all
i'm saying its no way to fool a stop watch if you go from piont a to piont b and it takes a certain amount of time that the speed period no if ands or butts
Old 11-03-2002, 04:56 AM
jlong34016

Default radar signal return

Amount of signal return has no bearing on reading. Either you get a reading or you dont. It works on doppler shift. A semi or a BB produces the same shift for the same speed. If it picks up a signal its going to give the correct reading.
Have you ever been a timer at a sporting event? Three people in the same lane will have different times that are several tenths of a second different apart. Error is from starting and stopping watches. Timing an event by hand under two seconds 500 feet apart is inherantly very inaccurate and imprecise.
10 years makes a huge difference. My gun is better than the state of the art gun 10 years back. Look at computers or any other device you wish. The principle is sound and the implimentation is now remarkable. Take a gun when you have those watches going and you will easily see how anything that involves human input is not going to be nearly as good as an electronic device.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:01 PM
ArthurD

Default Magnum Arf

Has anyone tried a landing gear on the Magnum?
Old 11-14-2002, 02:29 PM
ArthurD

Default Magnum Arf

I've just ordered the new Magnum ARF and see from the above posts that the only fuel reccommended is "Pro Synth 10%".

Exactly what do I ask for at my local hobby shop which sells Morgan fuels?
Old 11-14-2002, 02:55 PM
roywiglesworth

Default Magnum Arf

i've had landing gear on mine keep it on for about 4 or 5 flights
each time the gear bent backwards.i guess you could put a little heavier gear on it but then you'r adding weight.the best thing
i would say is put a strip on the bottom i did this with a shrike i just got done. works great. i've been buying fuel in bulk (54 gal drums)for the last 10 yrs its made by morgan mach-7 (same as cool power 15% but blue instead of green) works fine i usealy get
5 gal. cans of nitro so i can bump it up if i need to i've tried all the
way up to 60% and saw no real difference except it took a plug for every flight.
Old 11-14-2002, 03:35 PM
maverick

Default Magnum Arf

Originally posted by roywiglesworth
........except it took a plug for every flight.
What plugs are you using?
Old 11-14-2002, 04:10 PM
roywiglesworth

Default Magnum Arf

i'm now useing os no.9 or mcoy no. 9 but at 50% nitro they still only make 1 flight but like i said 15% is more then enough maybe if you were in a race it might be enough to pass someone but thats about it maybe if you shimmed the head the higher nitro would make more of a differnce but just for sport flying and flying at your normal club field the 15 all synthtic fuel is fine.

roy
Old 11-15-2002, 12:21 AM
maverick

Default Magnum Arf

Originally posted by roywiglesworth
i'm now useing os no.9 or mcoy no. 9 but at 50% nitro they still only make 1 flight but like i said 15% is more then enough
Thanks for the plug info. I will be starting using Powermaster YS 20/20. Which is 20% nitro and 20% oil, all synthetic. This is only because this is the fuel I have.