Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

LR-1 Elevators

Old 12-14-2005, 10:12 PM
Camster
My Feedback: (59)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default LR-1 Elevators

I need advise on which type of hinges would be best on elevator halves on the LR-1. I lost instruction sheet that came with the kit, not much use anyway. But taped to it were hinge like material that I had never seen before. But others were in the kit that looked like typical epoxy type with metal pin. I plan to have a BSE .35 in a few weeks to power it.
Old 12-19-2005, 03:15 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: LR-1 Elevators

I think any good hinge will be ok as the slot that is already cut will accept a pretty thick hinge . I would not use a CA hinge for this application, use epoxy or gorilla glue.

I flew my LR-1 again last saturday and was a little worried about elev flutter but everything seems fine so far. You do need to check the elev hinges as part of your maintenance or preflight. Of course add some tape to seal the hinge gap.

Still no radar gun to check speed but the airframe is holding up. Sport Jett 50 and screaming split S from 500' made for some nice speed passes. After a few go arounds, finally got my mind adjusted to a slow landing speed with flaperons and I'd have to say that the Jett carb works beautifully. I didn't shut off the engine this time for landing and was nice to taxi back instead of walking to go pick up the plane.

So far, even with tight turns, the plane has not shown any bad behaviors at all ( at 3 lb -10 oz empty)

Your BSE 35 would make for a lighter wing loading and the plane will slow down very nicely for landings.

Enjoy.