Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Star Wars Whiplash

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Star Wars Whiplash

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2002, 06:48 AM
bstfrnd2bstfrnd
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Star Wars Whiplash

Check out this bad boy. It's designed after a Star Wars ship. David is AWSOME! I have a new Weber 50 on it. It should haul butt. I'm not as obsessed with speed as some people. I was there when Rick was testing one of the first ones. He had a stock OS46fx and I got to make a 145 mph run. That was plenty fast enough and this bad boy should go faster.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	34568_14625.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	25.9 KB
ID:	21993  
Old 11-09-2002, 06:51 AM
bstfrnd2bstfrnd

Default more

If you think that's cool, check this out. I'm scared to fly this. It's like a piece of art.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	34569_14625.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	21994  
Old 11-09-2002, 09:47 PM
IMAC Buff
My Feedback: (8)

Very Nice!! Have fun with her. Remember it's not how fast you go, It's that you look good while doing it!!!!! LOL

Enjoy
Old 11-10-2002, 12:33 AM
bstfrnd2bstfrnd

Thanks, I took it to the flying field today but we had a big bird fly in going on. By the time we went to open flying I lost my nerve. Too many people watching. Besides I need to break in the engine. It got a lot of stares(I was a proud papa).
Old 11-11-2002, 01:12 AM
Instructor
My Feedback: (16)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flew my Whiplash today, and boy did I have a hell of a time. It pitched down on the first take off and hit the ground. To say the least, I broke the prop. After replaceing the prop, we tried it again. This time I was able to get it airborn. It was all over the sky.. It still wanted to pitch down and it wanted to roll to the left. I managed to get it down, and then I put in a little right trim and some up trim. When I tried to fly it again, it still wanted to roll left and down. It hit the ground again, and this time I broke off the front of the motor mount. The CG is right where the booklet says, 2.5" behind the front of the receiver hatch. Anybody else have this problem? I was flying it with a OS .40 Sr with a rear carb and a muffled tune pipe. I was using a Master Airscrew 9x7 and 10% Omega fuel. As for the servos, I'm using 100 inch oz metal gears. The pushrods are carbon fiber, and the horns are the Sulivan stainless steel ones. Pleas give me any advice you might have.

Thanks
Larry
Old 11-11-2002, 02:00 AM
IMAC Buff

The first thing is that the Whiplash is very sensitive to control inputs. Use expo on your elevons. The 5/16 inch deflection is more than enough for the A/C but you should turn down the ailerons to 3/16 or even 2/16. You will have more than enough roll rate. The CG is real close at 2.5 inches back from the leading edge of the hatch cover. Mine is a little bit back from that but flew well at that CG. I also use 1/2 inch deflection on elevator for landing. I guess the next thing I should ask is have you had any experience with high speed A/C?? This airframe is not for the faint of heart to say the least!! And it does require that u be well ahead of the A/C to keep it under control. I would be happy to talk more about the Whiplash if you have any more questions.

Cheers
Old 11-11-2002, 02:08 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the information. As for any experince with high speed aircraft, I have flown Fomular 1 raceing aircraft with speeds of 165mph. I have been flying ducted fan aircraft for the past ten years with speeds up to 145 to 155 mph. Right now I'm flying a Kangaroo powered with a JPX T-250. I only wanted the Whiplash because here in the North East, it's getting too cold to fly the JPX turbines. I agree with you about the ailerons, they still say I need 5/16th up on the elevons and the ailerons. I feel that the problem lies in the vertical fins. I didn't sand them to get the leading edge down flush with the top of the wing. I feel that I have about 1/2 degree positive in the vertical fins.

Larry
Old 11-11-2002, 02:24 AM
IMAC Buff

Ok, the gap under the vertical fins shouldn't change the incidence of the fins at all. I don't suspect that is the problem.
I would use the expo on the elevons. It will smooth out the Whiplash alot.
Old 11-19-2002, 08:29 PM
qsdriver

Default Pitch Down

I just trim flew my laser arrow for the first time and it also dove for the ground. A more experienced gentlemen told me that your elevons or elevators etc... have to be a few degrees up for tail down force in order for a Delta wing to fly correctly. I have a hitec radio and I was +20 on the up trim for level flight. Ive since brought it home and zero'd the trims back out with the control surfaces in the slightly positive postion -IT WAS AN EYE OPENER. I dont have a whiplash but this is what caused mine to dive, luckily no incident or groulnd strike
Old 11-20-2002, 12:47 AM
Instructor

Thanks for the information. The instructions for the Whiplash, say that I don't need any reflex in the elevons. I even e-mailed them and told them what the problem was. They tried to say that I had a heavy motor, even with the CG right where thay called for. I did break the motor mounts and they are sending me new ones along with new fins. If I get them before the weather turns cold, and I get a chance to try it again, I'll let you know how it flys......

Larry
Old 11-20-2002, 02:54 AM
bstfrnd2bstfrnd

Ok, I flew Star Wars. Man!! Very fast! Weber makes a very fast motor. I had an 11x5 on it and was not nearly enough. Threatened to over speed the motor every time I flew. You could tell the enginee was unloading completely, but I didn't have a prop with more bite. next time I fly I'll put a 10x7 or 9x8. This is the closest thing to instant speed ever. Great Plane!!!
Old 11-20-2002, 02:56 AM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Default whiplash launch

My whiplash needed two clicks up and two clicks right. It sinks a ton on launch. I run and toss it off a hill. But i only have a 7.3 inch prop. Have you tached the engine with the 9x7? Also with a full tank the CG is way forward. To get the nose up you give it full up elevator and this causes you to lose lift and it sinks more. Move you CG back some and use a 9x6 prop to get the hang of the launch and youll be fine.