Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

K&B45 fire

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2006, 08:02 PM
HaveBlue

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default K&B45 fire

Does anyone have a K&B 45 fire, I'm looking at one thats NIB with a pipe and just wondering if anyone has some basic info on this engine???? stuff like rpm range or any useful info on its performance envelope or bad habits???, I know its an engine question , but I'd think at least one of the revvers would have one

cheers
Old 01-01-2006, 08:48 PM
piper_chuck
My Feedback: (12)

Default RE: K&B45 fire

I don't have the .45, but I've got 2 of its baby brother, the 3.5cc. One is on my Shrike 10, and it works great. The other is still in a box waiting for me to figure out what to put it in. I would expect the RPM range to be similar to K&B's .45 marine engines, up to about 25,000. The only bad thing I've found about my 3.5 is that it makes many of my other planes seem too tame!
Old 01-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have one of the .40's....it's a pylon engine. No specs, but it should turn mid
20K's with a correct prop.

Is yours like this one ?

FBD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90294.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	155.6 KB
ID:	379607  
Old 01-02-2006, 01:49 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Have Blue:

I fly against a K & B screamer 48 and hate the ground it covers. When it first came out, I could hear I was turning 2-3,000 above the K & B, so it was a ho-hum catch me if you can sort of race. Next race, a month later, I cranked up for the start, and then came that dreded noise from down the line, someone turning more r's. Now, I am turning 19K ok. Down the line turning about 1-2K more, my god, more? I try to maintain my general aloof snobish demeanor. Turned inside and stole the start at the first turn, now comes the see ya chuckle just loud enough to be clear. Should be pulling away, should be pulling away, should be pulling away, not pulling away. Start lapping, not pulling away. Thing harrssed me for 10 laps and almost caught me. After the race, just had to stick my nose into his prop. Ok 9.8 X 9 apc, a lotta prop, performance muffler, a obvious improvement, but not accounting for all those GD r's. He has sources of info not available to me, actually can call Clarance Lee etc. which is a little advantage. Could ask him what he has done to it, am sure he will tell me more than I would in reverse? After all, I am a nicer guy than he is? Bottom line: I am flopping around trying to get something larger and faster up for next year (Alley Cat) (Matney Zoomer) etc. cause I can see the cat and dog fight coming as can everyone else. In the past two years, the overall has been won by no more than one race heat. Think part of prep for next season is going to have to be R & D into the K & B screamer 48. Bad part is you are going to have to kill at least one and probably two before (if) you get it right. Sure not going to start grinding on any of my Jett's!
Old 01-02-2006, 06:59 PM
HaveBlue

Hi Dave - the One that WAS for sale has been retracted..it was at $102.00 they stopped the auctiob early with no sale ..I deleted the item from my list..but I dont think it had the fins on the carb but basically very similar.. the tund pipe wasnt fully visible in the photo but it looked like it was more of the the converging pipe design..

I have already replied to chuck , I told him I was loosing interest as I didnt really have a need(airframe) for it..(guess I'm hooked on fast engines)..but I left the item in my list just in case..

but all in all its been withdrawn ..so I miss out which might not be a bad thing since I dont really have any cash to buy it with.
I'd probably might have got it had it stayed at the $102 mark

remenke..I might try porting one of my jetts one day, but first I going to pull down my old OS 25 or even the old 35 I have and get to grinding to get experience..these engines throw me a little..give me an old cast iron small block or big block ..tell me what E.T's you want and I'll make it happen..my street dodge ran in the low 9"s I could have made haul more but couldnt get hold of a dana rear end down here, my aussie valiant had a 265CID 6 cyclinder and that ran in the 12's and thats on 2.92 rear end, but these little suckers have got me re learning everything cause these things are so different.. but as I said give me a little time , an old engine to experiment on and in no time at all I'll know the in's and out... I really only wanted the k&b because of reputation

thank you guys ..sorry to have wasted your time here as the item is gone..but if one should pop up somewhere..well if I can I might just get one..although there are far more urgent items I need like a another jett60lx for that DH88 I want to build