Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Sig Wonder TT.15 What prop for SPEED.

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Sig Wonder TT.15 What prop for SPEED.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:53 PM
carmerxr400
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sig Wonder TT.15 What prop for SPEED.

Yes I know the Thunder Tiger .15 is not a fast motor but I got one and I picked up a Wonder at a swap meet Saterday so I'll give it a try. What prop would be good for speed. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2006, 11:59 AM
willflyforfood

Default RE: Sig Wonder TT.15 What prop for SPEED.

I used a 7x6 on my magnum 15 on a funbat and it would scoot pretty good.
Old 02-22-2006, 02:10 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Camerax400

Nothning wrong with the TTpro line of engines, will stay with or exceed the much more expensive OS line, period, and they are true ABC. Be careful you don't pull that Sig Wonder apart, stay well away from the flight line and parking with your dives. It it stays togeather in several high up high speed dives, its likely to stay togeather for a wihle. Sadly, going fast with cars, airplanes and models starts to go into high dollar gear and airframes. A motor that will turn will run you from $250 up, Nelson, Jett, Rossi racing etc. That being said, you can have a ball with your 15! Start learning why some aircraft are fastere than others. Look into the design of wings, there is lots of good information out there and systems that will help you design your own speed wing that will allow the airframe to really scoot. Airplane design is not that complex at out level. Anything that sticks out from a bullet shape is drag, drag is the killer of speed, as is weight. Your plane design should follow the moments (basic measurements) of what you know to be fast and fly well, IE a Q-500 or similar. Motor mount to wing leadling edge, wing trailing edge to tailfeathers etc. Use landing gear on your first attempt, then get rid of it (weight and drag) in future designs, retracts ok until you start getting serious. How large the wing and tailfeathers, use the Q-500 as a base design and then go from there. Elevator, tail and wing can be much smaller as long as you dont care how it turns. Very fast airplanes are designed for speed, not agility, or fun to fly, just speed. Most real fast planes will not be a ball to fly, just awsome as they scream by. If you hit 100 mph, thats no dog. You can get more out of your motor most cheeply with a Jett or Performance Specialities (Nelson) bolt on performance muffler, about 500 to 1,000 rpm. Thats a cheep hop up for about $60.00. Work at it fella, everything good in life requires working at it to make it good and fun. If the first one crashes, was it the design or your flying. If flying, improve that. If airframe, improve that, get better, make it better and stick with it. Wish you well and god's speed!
Old 02-25-2006, 12:02 AM
johnc1go
My Feedback: (9)

I would recommend a Black Glass Filled Composite Prop from Master Airscrew. Alot of guys like the APC props and they are good for certain things. But it's been my experience that an APC 7 x 5 prop wouldn't give you the revs you need for higher speeds. With the engine you mention, I think a 7 x 5 prop would work nicely. You should be seeing somewhere between 16k and 18k RPM with this prop. I would also reccomment using 15% nitro as well. Myself and a few other guys get together on the weekends and race pylon planes. These planes like your wonder have straight wings and weigh around 2 1/2 lbs. We use OS 15's and MAS props 7 x 5. We're seeing speeds somewhere around 90 to 100mph. I also have a shrike .10 which I fly with the same engine/prop combination as is on my racer and it's faster yet. Good luck and happy flying.