Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Engine choice for GP Learjet

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Engine choice for GP Learjet

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 07:46 AM
Props4ever

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Engine choice for GP Learjet

Hi Guys,

I have finally decided to fly my learjet that i built 10 years ago, i never flew after built it and it got damaged in between the years. When i built it, i modified it extensively also, i added almost all scale features and control surfacs that i could except of extending the fuselage. I have flaps, spoiler/speed brakes, scale ailrons, stall fances, stall strips on the wing, i scaled up the elevators and rudder.
I also installed scale nose gear and 2 bogie main wheels on mail gears with mechanical retracts, I also made working nose and main gear doors but i wont be using those now. With all these features and 5 servos in main wing this jet is going to be on heavy side, not to mention i finished my model in silkspan and automotive paint. When i first completed the model i bought Magnum 65 Gp for it and its been traded since then and now a friend in hobby have 2 OS 50s that he highly talkes about, specially says those engines are power house!. Now my question is that if i could use OS 50 with pipe or w/out pipe on this jet?, would it be enough powerfull for its weight or should i go back to 60sz engine?.....I need serious advice here, dont forget that wing loading of this jet from factory was 29oz sq/in!, but with all this weigth it will be more...And i ahve hears that this jet wants be flied in to land properly....

Sammy
Old 01-09-2006, 11:35 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Engine choice for GP Learjet

If you have the OS50 on hand, my suggestion would be to use that, and maybe add on a Jett muffler if you want a bit more oomph. Proved out to be a good combination, and probably will give you better power than the 65GP would have.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:15 PM
Props4ever

Hi Bob,

I can get OS50 anytime from my friend thats not a problem but where can i get Jett Muffler for it, plus what does Jett muffler do that stock cant?...Just curious now. I really dont want anything happening to this model, it took me 2 1/2 years at that time to built it so thats why i am being so cautions and emotional about it....

Cheers,
Sammy
Old 01-10-2006, 09:43 AM
bob27s

The jett-stream muffler is a tuned exhaust. Much like a tuned pipe. Bolt it on, get an instant extra 1000 rpm or so (or more like 1500 depending on the prop) above the stock muffler. No muss, no fuss. Available direct from jettengineering.com

On the OS.50/jett-stream combo on the lear, run a 10x6 prop to start with. Should be able to move up to a 10x7 after initial flights, and still keep the rpm up.
Old 01-10-2006, 02:53 PM
HaveBlue

** deleted , because it didnt contribute to the subject of this thread...sorry**
Old 01-11-2006, 05:16 AM
Props4ever

Old 01-11-2006, 11:35 PM
lear31A
My Feedback: (123)

I would love to see a pic of your Lear there Concordefan. Sounds cool!
Old 01-12-2006, 01:45 AM
Props4ever

Lear31A,

I would love post pics of it but its not in same condition when i first built it, over the years time took toll at it and damage happened to it. Its not the same anymore but i still love it very much. T stab split for H stab completely, Rudder got damaged and one of the tip tanks also go squished and damaged, now days and tring to bring it back to picture acceptance condition. So once its in that shape then i'll post pics of it, least it will be presentable by that time...

Cheers,
Sammy
Old 06-24-2006, 10:06 AM
smirniotisice
My Feedback: (1)

I put an OS 46ax on mine and A guy at the field that I fly at has a caos and its about the same speed. It has like 9oz in the tail so it would balance. With a big engine in the front I couldn't imagine the weight needed.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23116.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	36.7 KB
ID:	481970  
Old 06-26-2006, 07:11 AM
bob27s

Nice looking plane
Old 08-09-2006, 01:42 PM
juanpipito

IM PUTTING A SUPER TIGRE 90 ON MINE, lets see how it holds. should gve it lots of speed.
Old 08-01-2008, 12:52 PM
Props4ever

Well it's been sometime i checked on this thread, 90 would be real screamer for sure, if you can fit in that tiny cowl!..

BTW does anyone know actual C.G. point of this beast, i know guys have discovered new point then what is suggested by GPlanes...

I buying back my second one in few minutes and would like fly it today. This one has OS46 FP on it...