Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

difference between Magnum and Magnum R?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

difference between Magnum and Magnum R?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2006, 02:36 AM
Turbo442

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default difference between Magnum and Magnum R?

Could some one kindly explain the difference between the Magunm and the Magnum R? I have this version and am just curious about the difference between the two? Strangely enough its one of the few planes after many flights that I have yet to smash to bits!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq46336.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	108.5 KB
ID:	387243  
Old 01-14-2006, 02:33 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: difference between Magnum and Magnum R?

There's very little difference the easiest way to tell the difference is the servo tray is laser cut on the R and die crunched on the normal one. There is a very small difference in wing shape between the two versions.
Old 01-16-2006, 01:42 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: difference between Magnum and Magnum R?

From the http://www.bumpygreen.co.uk/index.htm website:

Thicker ply is utilised throughout the New Magnum R but the completely redesigned fuselage with plenty of lightening holes makes for a lighter and stronger fuselage. The quality of the covering has also improved, and instead of the plain yellow covering of the old model there is a new metallic yellow covering, the quality of which becomes evident when you try to remove it from areas that require gluing. The de-rigueur carbon-fibre look-a-like decals are still there but now the canopy has also been finished with the same effect. The underside of the wing has also been decorated with a similar shape set of decals but with a chequer-board design to make orientation a little more obvious.

One immediately obvious change in the design is in the shape of the wing. The design of the original Magnum wing was very flat with very little profile evident on the leading edge. This made the final glide to the patch more of a nose-down, un-powered flight/dash. The new wing still has a very slippery shape but now has a wing design which will at least encourage some lift. This should make the glide a little longer, we'll have to see. The wing retention system has been completely redesigned, with a single large plastic screw placed through the back of the wing and into a retained nut in the fuselage which has already been installed at the factory. The installation of the wing servo, ailerons and connecting rods are exactly the same of the original - a ply plate is secured with cynoacrylate around the hole allocated for the aileron servo which actuates two torque rods located near the trailing edge and are secured into each aileron with a small amount of epoxy. All aileron hinge tabs are secured by wicking thin cyno into them whilst in place. Nothing new in that.

The tail with the familiar and distinctive anhedral design is now swept with the tail halves placed into pre-cut slots with the correct angle. This makes installation extremely fast and simple, with elevator hinges installed using the same method as for the ailerons.

The tail fin simply stands in a pre-cut slot and secured with epoxy once the covering has been removed on the glued surfaces (same with the tail halves) which brings me back to quality of the covering. It's very strong and has some very elastic qualities which means it won't tear easily - the up shot of this is that you need a very, very, sharp blade and still need to apply a bit of pressure whilst taking great care to not cut into the balsa underneath. Once I'd marked the areas to be removed I peeled back the covering beyond where the cut needed to be made, taking great care not to stretch and distort the material, and cut it dead straight with scissors, after which I tacked it back in place with a small drop of cyno.

The fuel tank is slightly larger than the earlier version and a small modification to the bulkhead former needs to be made to ensure that the fuel tank can be positioned as far forward as possible, otherwise it makes wing installation practically impossible - this is the only niggle in the entire installation process. Care needs to be taken when installing the fuel tank as it is very easy to introduce a pinch into the fuel tubing which will halt all efforts to bring the engine to life. The throttle servo is simply screwed directly into the mounting plate already installed in the fuselage and the engine mount is already installed, as is the tube for the throttle wire.