Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum vs. Viper

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 11:53 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Magnum vs. Viper

Alright guys. This isn't another "which one is faster apples to oranges thing," I know the Magnum is probably faster in straight lines and the Viper is better in turns. I understand the reasons behind this, too. What I want to know is your recomendation for a hot sport plane. Probably put a SJ 50 on either one I get, and radio to suit the use. So, what say ye?
Old 01-17-2006, 05:27 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Magnum vs. Viper

Your choice do you want a hand launched belly lander or a something with wheels?
That is the decision that has to be made FIRST.

THe Magnum does not slow much in the turns far less than you think,
Mine has a Jett Sport 50 and it rocks!!!

A Whiplash or Diamond dust will slow some when you pull the delta wing into a turn all that wing area is now and airbrake. I have several Whiplashes Jett Fire 50 & Sport 50.

Magnum UK .50 combo with tuned Pipe will do 180+ on the right prop and tuning.
My buddy HAD one till the Rx failed.

bob revver brother # 105
Old 01-17-2006, 05:31 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://www.matneymodels.com/q500.html

look here me thinks I will buy one off this page.

Also email Dub Jett for his hangar sale you may fine a engine at reduced cost.
http://www.jettengineering.com/
Old 01-18-2006, 12:20 AM
Lomcevak Duck

even if I went with the Viper I would probably remove the landing gear. I want a quick plane. I have even thought about a DD w/Jett FIRE BSE on it. I'm sure this would be the fastest of all the choices, but I am concerned that it wouldn't fly like a conventional aircraft, and there is something to be said for the sleek lines of a Magnum coming out of a descending turn at full throttle three feet off the runway.
Old 01-18-2006, 02:10 AM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Magnum is AWESOME....nuf said It really seems like a jet, hauling ass through the sky!!!
Old 01-18-2006, 10:59 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

No need to leave the gear off of a Q-500. The speed you gain will be minimal... not worth the hassle factor.

Honestly, a Viper with a Jett SJ-50-SS or 60LX will perform very similar to one of the 428 racing planes. 150 mph is not difficult at all.
Plus, the plane will glide well, slows for landing, has no bad habbits - its more like a sport plane. There are a few things you should keep an eye out on the airframe if you intend to go fast with it (documented elsewhere)

The Magnum is great - really moves. Others have noted its performance characteristics. Not as forgiving with the engine out. But the jet-like appearance is always a bonus
Old 01-18-2006, 01:58 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd have something with wheels on it as well.

FBD.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:02 PM
HaveBlue

sorry to bust in on this thread, but that link that C4F posted(matney models) looks very interesting , scroll down a bit and you come to the "zoomer" looks like that would haul ***** very smartley.. pretty clean.. and thats not a bad price either...

now imagine a 60LX in something like that..he he he
Old 01-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Kaos1

The Zoomer has my vote! Anyone fly one of these with the taper wing?

ORIGINAL: HaveBlue

sorry to bust in on this thread, but that link that C4F posted(matney models) looks very interesting , scroll down a bit and you come to the "zoomer" looks like that would haul ***** very smartley.. pretty clean.. and thats not a bad price either...

now imagine a 60LX in something like that..he he he
Old 01-18-2006, 07:25 PM
Lomcevak Duck

That is appetizing. I like it's price, too. I can't seem to find any information on the Jett .60LX anywhere on the Jett website. All I can find is the .60L, and I know that's not really intended to be a speed engine. Bob, can you point me in the right direction or give me some more info? I am also wondering if a .60 would fit in the space of a .40 on this plane. It appears to have a half cowl.
Old 01-19-2006, 12:19 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

I can't seem to find any information on the Jett .60LX anywhere on the Jett website. I am also wondering if a .60 would fit in the space of a .40 on this plane. It appears to have a half cowl.
Bob posted this awhile back. It is a 40 size case.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30730.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	390575  
Old 01-19-2006, 09:13 AM
bob27s

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

That is appetizing. I like it's price, too. I can't seem to find any information on the Jett .60LX anywhere on the Jett website. All I can find is the .60L, and I know that's not really intended to be a speed engine. Bob, can you point me in the right direction or give me some more info? I am also wondering if a .60 would fit in the space of a .40 on this plane. It appears to have a half cowl.
Yeah, thats the one I had.
Here is the updated one.
Ive yet to upload the new engines pages on the web site, and I do not think the 61LX is on there yet. The 90LX is shown in the BSE .90 page though.

The SJ-60LX is the same size as the .40 racing engines and the SJ-46,50,60L engines. Will drop right in to the Zoomer. You might even want to use a backplate mount too.

The Zoomer has been around a long time. We use to have a racing class called Animal 500 - sort of an 'unlimited' class Q-500 type event. It was fun. The zoomer flys great. Well be haved. Any of the wings work well. Matney does fabulous glass work too. Remember, its a basic kit - you get plans, glass fuselage, and cores. Quite a few folks flying the Zoomer with a SJ-50 up front or 'old' 428 .40 q-500 engines. No doubt the 60LX would make it move quite nicely.

There was a company I saw not long ago in Orlando area that offered spring-air-like small retracts - 25-40 size. Ive always imagined installing something like that in a Q-500 type wing. I cant seem to find the link though.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91576.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	143.8 KB
ID:	390724  
Old 01-19-2006, 09:40 AM
Lomcevak Duck

Jett puts out some amazing power plants. Thanks for the info. I didn't know you had posted it earlier somewhere else or I would have checked the archives.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:32 PM
HaveBlue

So Bob , what would be the best configuration for the "zoomer", would it be ok to run a fire version on pipe or side exhaust/muffler combo?... I cant make out what the "engine" side looks like in that photo

Old 01-19-2006, 04:17 PM
bob27s

run the side exhaust on it ...... engine 90 or 120 deg to the side.... muffler down low. Just like a Q-500.

You can run the FIRE setup if you want. Kinda hard to tuck it in. Would take a little bit of creativity to make a channel or tunnel to fair it out a bit.

Bob