Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

My Winter Dago

Old 01-18-2006, 10:40 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default My Winter Dago

Well here is my progress, this is the purple Voodoo that the MFGs in China somehwere also called a Dago Red. Some of you remember i bough it off Ebay a year ago as a cheap speedster. 65inch wing, same size as the H9 Marie with retracts and the whole thing.

I threw a G2300 inverted up front and a Jettstream muffler. This "piece" turned into one of my better flyers all last season. I told myself if it survived, I'd rebuild. It did and I am.

I stripped it down and made a solid front end instead of a cowl and a hatch underneath. I'll be starting on the wing shortly. Going to cut off a few inches and install 3/16 struts to replace the cheap white metal ones that never did hold up well.

This is the one I also have those
i4c whistles in. With the angle on them, they are only noticible when I slow down to land. Sounds exaclty like a F15 flying over head slowing down. real neat

PS "Haveblue" yes that is.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ge96050.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	390502  
Old 01-18-2006, 11:17 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: My Winter Dago

A big ol' G2300 stuffed in there and the head does not stick out? Pretty cool!

What is that black fuse in the background?
Old 01-19-2006, 09:42 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well it definately looks different. Some good racing markings, and its going to look real nice. Maybe some Merlin exhaust pipes too

How was the structure and stuff underneath the covering ..... once you had it torn down ?
Old 01-19-2006, 03:13 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Cyclic:

Thanks so much for the info. Was given a Dago Red last week complete without motor. The Jett 90 is destined for the Alley Cat if I get off my but with it, so rummaged around in the motor cupboard. Came up with a Webra speed 90 with pery carb which is now resting in place in the DR. Have been a little concerned about the total motor weight, your post flying same with a 2300 sort of releaves the concern. The fuel tank that is in it is a little high for the inverted engine, which will probably give some problems. There is only 3.75" of clear space behind the fire wall, the existing tank looks like 12-14 oz which will be enough for a trim flight a few turns to see if it will stay togeather and land. What did you find to stuff in there for a tank for your monster? I am still in bed most of the time with the shingles, but dong better. Just as well, the field has been flooded for past week. If thing flys well and will turn around the pylons when CG'd correctly, gonna get out the grinder and see if there is any more rpm's left in that Webra. Its also a sort of "hand me down" without much cost, so nothing really lost. Exhaust is going to the one of the old OK open mufflers with a penny JB welded into the front. The bark is a little bad, but we dont have any noise control problems, just consideration for the guy next to you. Thanks for the info!.
Old 01-19-2006, 03:14 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Lookin' good, Mike....[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is the "before " version so that you can see how the 2300 went in. The cool thing about this plane is that the stab is an actual airfoil and not some flat framed up thing plus flaps. The covering was not that great either but it flys real nice. If you every see one on "that site" for aroun$160. Its definately a deal. Like Isaid the retract struts did not hold up . I had my boy make me a pair of 3/16 and we'll see what happens

Name:	Jh15758.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	390928  
Old 01-20-2006, 09:43 AM
iFLYrc_Vic
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That appears to be a SU27 in the corner. Is it on hold or did you just take a break?
Old 01-20-2006, 10:01 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

this is a slightly re-worked version of Cyclic's photo...... you can see the engine installation a bit better

Name:	Yw68812.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	391487  
Old 01-20-2006, 10:27 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the retouch and yes that is the "Flanker" that started the thread in the corner. I got distracted and never got back to it-yet