Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

How heavy is your "Whiplash"

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

How heavy is your "Whiplash"

Old 11-24-2002, 01:04 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How heavy is your "Whiplash"

Very good friend of mine who flys them all, Imac, Scale, DF, Turbine etc flew his Whiplash today. He is running a YS .45 with a pipe. Frankly I thought it was a bust. it does not even compare to a Diamond Dust. It does not just take off out of your hands. Now once it got in the air it was impressive but launching it was not good.
* later on this afternoon, I was talking to the guy who built it and told him what happened. I asked him if he knew how much it weighed and he said 5lbs. 5lbs? I remember when the plane came in and I picked it up with nothing on it and it felt very heavy. With hit being as it is, is a hot .45 engine the right size for this flying boatanchor.
Old 11-24-2002, 01:12 AM
miderror

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Delta weights

For the Dust,Outlaws and Wiz that I've flow anything over #3
has been sluggish on take off/landing and really jerking it around.
Most have been in the 2.25-2.7# range and let you do anything.
All above are in the 450-600sq.in. range.
5+# wow, It has to be good on the down line!
Old 11-24-2002, 02:53 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Yeh that down line was solid and the YS .45 is on the table with thebest of them but getting that thing in the air was rough. If i were to guess, it was pulling around 135ish. Like i said, before he even started installing the stuff, it was heavy.
* Actually I am glad i saw this because IMHO the DD is the way to go.
Old 11-24-2002, 02:56 AM
jlong34016
My Feedback: (1)

Default weights

Most are coming in at 4lb 8 oz. It is hard to get them airborne. Im building a DD that should be under 2 lbs dry. My current DD with ys 45 is about 3lb 8 oz i think.
Old 11-24-2002, 09:07 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Default Diamond Dust weight

My second Dust weighed 2 lbs. 12 oz. ready to fly (except fuel) with a Jett 50. My first dust was a couple of ounces heavier.

There is a Whiplash at the field with a 46FX but I have not seen it in the air yet. I was told it did not compare to my Dust. I am sure the engine is part of that.

There are some positive things about the Whiplash but here are my biggest complaints. At over 4 lbs. the Whiplash is too heavy. Too much of the servos are exposed to the air flow. The vertical fins do not come with a sharp edge on them.

I have a launch video of both of my Dust on my web site. That is the way this type of plane should launch.
Old 11-25-2002, 12:19 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Default Re: Diamond Dust weight

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Mike Connor
[B]My second Dust weighed 2 lbs. 12 oz. ready to fly (except fuel) with a Jett 50. My first dust was a couple of ounces heavier.

There is a Whiplash at the field with a 46FX but I have not seen it in the air yet. I was told it did not compare to my Dust. I am sure the engine is part of that.

Mike-As i recall, you have a Shrike also. I have the .40 Shrike runninnga TT46pro and Ultrathrust and i need you thoughts here. I do not have a whole lot of time on it. Around 15flights-all good.
*Thing is it handles like crap and can't seem to get it smooth.

1. Here is the symptom. Lets say I am up their and make a nice smooth left turn. Going into the turn is okay but coming out is a nightmare. I reallly have to pull the stick over and when i do it over corrects.
2.I have minimun throws on ailerons. even with this it rolls fast.
3. I thought i may have to much expo. i checked and had 30% and decided to take it down to 10%neg and increase my aileron travel a bit. Went back up and the same thing.

4. its like went i come out of a simple turn, it wants to keep turning to a point of inverted and need to overcorrect to get it back. Its not smooth at all... Any ideas.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	37317_8393.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	23335  
Old 11-25-2002, 03:32 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Default Re: Re: Diamond Dust weight

Originally posted by Cyclic Hardover

its like went i come out of a simple turn, it wants to keep turning to a point of inverted and need to overcorrect to get it back. Its not smooth at all... Any ideas.
I still have my 40 Shrike and it has many flights on it. I have not experienced any symptoms like yours. It almost sounds like the ailerons are hanging up or the airfoil is flexing in flight. Does it do the same thing in right turns and at different speeds? My Shrike is sensitive on the controls but very smooth.
Old 11-25-2002, 11:30 PM
Cyclic Hardover

I think what I am going to try next is to increase my aileron throw but also increase my expo to help out. One thing i do no is it is nose heavy. I may ad some more weight in the ass end. later
Old 11-27-2002, 06:37 AM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Weigh In

Just weighed my WhipLash today, it came in at 4lbs., 3.75oz. dry.

Airbrushed version w/OS 46FX, 2-HS5945's, 1-DS3421, 600 mah, & R600 Rx.

George
Old 11-28-2002, 04:16 AM
BAGOSTIX
My Feedback: (178)

Default whiplash weight

I can tell you Mr. Cyclic Hardover that its the best flying and best performing flying boatanchor you'll ever fly..

Everyone has their own opinion, and its true that the whiplash is heavier than the Diamond Dust, but at least it doesnt rip to shreds or come apart after hitting a blade of grass...

They are both good airplanes, each has its own good points and bad.

Whatever your choice, have fun..
Old 11-28-2002, 02:37 PM
tomr-RCU

Default Re: whiplash weight

Originally posted by BAGOSTIX
Everyone has their own opinion, and its true that the whiplash is heavier than the Diamond Dust, but at least it doesnt rip to shreds or come apart after hitting a blade of grass...
I've never seen a Diamond Dust rip apart or shred from speed or grass unless it was covered with monokote or econokote. Dusts covered with ultracote (as specified in the instructions) never seem to have that problem.

Just saw a clipped wing dust (new version not yet released) with a 30" span and even more rake. It has a Jett 50 and is nasty fast. 200mph +

Tom
Old 11-28-2002, 05:10 PM
pdxpaul
My Feedback: (1)

Default Clipped wing dust

Tom,

Tell us more about this clipped wing dust. Do you have any pics? Release date? I am anticipating some Christmas money.

Paul
Old 11-29-2002, 01:03 AM
tomr-RCU

I'm not the real expert here, I just got a peek while at Jeff Gilbert's place, (Jeff is the designer and mfg of the Diamond Dust). Basically the clipped wing dust is a diamond dust that has the wing tips pushed in to a total span of 30". this increases the rake of the wing. It uses the same carbon fiber leading edge and spars so only weighs just a touch less than the regular diamond dust. The wing area is less than 500sq in but I don't know what it is exactly. But with a very deep sweep to the delta and at less than 3#'s with a Jett 50, it is nasty fast. The Kit will sell for $65, (same as the diamond dust) and it is going to be sold as an ARF and ARC as well I think, I'm pretty sure in the prop drive delta wings it's going to be the speed demon to beat. They don't have it dialed in yet and it's beating 200mph. I'd email Jeff Gilbert at diamond dust rc to get the scoop. Maybe He'll post something here but he's a little shy about it as he is not a RCU sponsor and isn't sure how far he can go talking about his products here.

I'll see if I can get a picture this weekend.

Later
Tom
Old 11-29-2002, 11:24 AM
Rocket
My Feedback: (4)

Default smaller is better

TOMR

i built a clipped wing dust about 6 years ago. we were racing in orlando fl, at the tangerine and don miller was there with his d/d and flying it at the lunch break. we were talking about making it faster and he suggested clipping the wing like your friend.

the speed was limited to prop and rpm, no radar info as to how fast it was. webra speed 40, mac pipe, and apc 9.5x7.5 pylon. i will tell you that i did not like to turn. i might have gone to far as to how much i took off. it was only 2" or so at the tip. i did not change the span only the rake back to the tips.

i should have shortend the wing also but i didnt own it long enough to see if it would have mad a difference.
Old 11-30-2002, 12:50 AM
miderror

Default Vintage 1995 Taper Dust

OS 46VFDF
The one you saw Teamfutaba

Name:	38244_2343.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	23336  
Old 11-30-2002, 01:03 AM
miderror

Default 2003 Taper T.E. Dust

My latest Dust.
Swept more, clipped to 32"
and a 1" sweep in the tailing edge.
Just for looks. This is the 4th one
built like this but my fav.
It's a design form '95 as well

Name:	38248_2343.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	23337  
Old 11-30-2002, 01:19 AM
Rocket
My Feedback: (4)

Default hmmmmmmmm

could be, i dont remember don having a 40. he likes the smaller less weight motors for the straight down pull out at 5 feet wide open blow your mind pucker factor 50g's i cant beleve it did that kind of plane.

see you in apopka. RR
Old 11-30-2002, 01:23 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Default How times change..

My Dust had a OS46VRDF, and all I hear is how slow it was LOL!

I have long since resigned myself to the fact that no matter what engine I put on a plane, regardless of what prop I can spin or how many RPM's I turn, I'll never go as fast as anybody else, no matter what they turn.
Old 11-30-2002, 01:35 AM
flybike

"I have long since resigned myself to the fact that no matter what engine I put on a plane, regardless of what prop I can spin or how many RPM's I turn, I'll never go as fast as anybody else, no matter what they turn." Nice looking dust, btw Hans
Old 11-30-2002, 02:03 AM
ChuckAuger
My Feedback: (12)

Originally posted by flybike
Nice looking dust, btw Hans
Thanks, Hans..it's Monokote! LOL
Old 11-30-2002, 06:39 PM
Jeff Gilbert

THE NEW CLIPPED DUST IS AVAILABLE AS ARC OR ARF CALL FOR
INFO 352 486 2159
Old 12-03-2002, 07:24 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Default Paint job

Chuck,

That is one pretty Diamond Dust. I love the color scheme. Can't imagine why!

Name:	38995_257.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	23338  
Old 03-25-2003, 02:08 AM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

Default Whiplash weight

I just finished my Whiplash(older version) w/Jett FIRE .50. It came out to 4lbs 5oz. How should this one launch? Should it pull right out of my hand at full throttle?
Thanks,
Craig
Old 03-25-2003, 03:27 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

WhipLash #2 4.51 lbs: dry
Jett Fire 50. 9x9 apc
2 DS-8417 1 HS-425BB
1100mahr batttry
JR ner 529x RX