Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

new arrival

Old 01-19-2006, 11:44 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default new arrival

the big brown truck left me a brand new....

Dub Jett 60LX FIRE
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pm34733.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	102.7 KB
ID:	391299  
Old 01-20-2006, 12:06 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: new arrival

YEAH, BABY !! Does it come with the pipe ?

Old 01-20-2006, 12:09 AM
Crazy4Flight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have several pipes in the work shop....

Might buy a Dago Red for it or ???
Old 01-20-2006, 12:13 AM
Flyboy Dave

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It comes with the head-pipe ?

You mean the World Models Dago Red ?

Dave.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:34 AM
Crazy4Flight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

It comes with the head-pipe ?

You mean the World Models Dago Red ?

Dave.
headders are extra and I have them

yes world models I know their quality
the 60 size on ebarf is of unknown manufacture
I bought "richmodels" Quickie and LongEZ same as "Nitroplanes" except trim colors....
so far I haveIssues with the Quickie....Manual is worthless & hardware was put in trash.
Old 01-20-2006, 12:44 AM
Flyboy Dave

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The W.M. Dago Red will handle the speed....[sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-20-2006, 01:07 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Aww- you just had to go and make me jealous.
No you've no excuse not to buy that Animal 500 plane.
Old 01-20-2006, 01:32 AM
Crazy4Flight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

Aww- you just had to go and make me jealous.
No you've no excuse not to buy that Animal 500 plane.
Animal 500 ??? got a link to it?
Old 01-20-2006, 01:34 AM
Crazy4Flight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

do you mean the Zoomer from Matney ?

Matney said it could handle it (60LX FIRE).

But I forgot to ask how big of a fuel tank it could hold.

Bob B. told me the .60 can drink up to 2 oz/min.

bob
Old 01-20-2006, 09:34 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

There is a lot of room up front it the zoomer.... you can get at least an 8oz bubble-jett tank in there - probably the 10oz too.

Photos here are a WM Dago with a SJ-60L up front - and pipe - just the side exhaust version. These are ADodd's photos

Im not sure how easy/hard it would be to rig a RE setup in here. Would take some creativity.

Name:	Wt59311.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	64.4 KB
ID:	391470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Hc92711.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	391471  
Old 01-20-2006, 10:14 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

do you mean the Zoomer from Matney ?
Yup. That's the one. 2oz./minute?! Wow! That's what my 1.60 FX drinks[:-]!
Old 01-20-2006, 02:07 PM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck
2oz./minute?! Wow! That's what my 1.60 FX drinks[:-]!
Yeah, thats about right. Big carb, lots of displacement, lots of RPM - burns about the same fuel draw as the QM40 and Q-500 engines. Develops about the same power too.

tells you something important though...

Consider this ..... (simplified for this example) HP = 42.4 BTU/min

fuel energy can be calculated in BTU. Methanol is 9500 BTU/lb Nitromethane is about 5000 BTU/lb.
Remember, oil does not count as fuel. So 2oz of 15% nitro 18% oil glow fuel is 1.64 oz of actual burnable fuel.

So it stands to reason, that the amount of fuel consumed per unit time (engine rpm) is proportional to the HP developed.

Yes, there are losses in heat, noise (quite a bit of loss). Some fuel is unburnt depending on conditions and fuel/air mixture. The rest of that energy becomes work.
Old 01-20-2006, 02:31 PM
HaveBlue

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bob27s

There is a lot of room up front it the zoomer.... you can get at least an 8oz bubble-jett tank in there - probably the 10oz too.

But you would need the slim version of either capacitywouldn't you?, can the tank sit over the CG line on the Zoomer ?
Old 01-20-2006, 03:50 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Crazy:

The Matney Zoomer is not the airframe for this sweet 60. The Animal Zoomer is my backup go faster for this season and has been on order since 12-8-05. I run to the door every time I hear the Brown truck just knowing it has arrived. The SJ BSE 50 is startilng to make vibration noises sitting in the engine cabinet.

Stick it in a Alley Cat! The rear exhaust should not be a problem in this airframe at all. I have the AC and a Jett 90 that I just don't think will work out very well with the 1.5 inch exhaust extension needed to make it fit. In addition to the rpm loss that represents, I don't like the forces acting on the system that are created by the additional lingth, in engilneering terms called "lever arm". Worst case, you would have to cut a very little from the firewall, nothing like what the guys are doing to stuff YS 110's in them. Have been considering a Jett rear exhaust engine for AC even if its going to dent the rat hole account a bunch. All of a sudden, I WANT, I WANT I WANT a 60 sized motor that will put out some real serious rpms. Helped young son set up his Aprilla 125 powered go cart last weekend. Gathering the guts to look at the tack at the end of the streight, behold, 16, 480 rpm which equals about 110 mph. Yea, scared myself. Thing is, this is a 125 cc motorcycle engine that is turning over 16k in stock form. Why in the heck cant I buy a 60-90 sized RE model motor that will give me the honest 19-20,000 I WANT!. I see model boat and car engines turning 24-25K, but they are under 40 cc. Have been looking for a quality 60+cc motor that will give me the POWER NEEDED, but gotta be front carb like the Jett Fire. In looking about, I hear and see Nova Rossi that is "supposed" to crank. Friend gave me a 40 to try last year, was a dog, dog, dog. If they are a good engine, why don't thay have the guts to give you performance specs and weight like Jett does. If Jett says 19K, its flat going to turn better. All 3 of mine do better than advertised, and frankly I expect them to. A 10 year old OPS 8 port sitting in the engine cabinet turns 22K, but is way to heavy for a normal application and is nasty natured. Can accept the nasty nature in trade for rpms, but gotta have rpm, rpm, rpm. Sound like I am startilng to "Loose It"? Am getting there. Season starts April, May. The gang is plotting, chuckles behind my back, sly smiles, discussion stops when I walk up, all telling me to get on the stick. Oh-poop. Time is a-wasting!
Old 01-20-2006, 04:07 PM
Crazy4Flight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

rmenke,

Just where does one backorder an Animal Zoomer?

And Animal Muppet graphics would bee kool.

Bob
Old 01-20-2006, 04:24 PM
slowmo777

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rmenke

...Why in the heck cant I buy a 60-90 sized RE model motor that will give me the honest 19-20,000 I WANT!
This is THE engine for 230 mph+ if used for a pure speed airframe and the right speed prop size. Turns 25 to 26000 rpm in flight with ease.

Although a too big airframe for good speed, just mount such an OPS 60 into your Alley Cat and see what happens with a 9*10 CFK prop. If the original spinner assy is to heavy for you, just replace it with a light Tru-Turn. Good luck!

Name:	Lj22196.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	391629  
Old 01-20-2006, 04:40 PM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

not to diverge the thread a bit..

I have the AC and a Jett 90 that I just don't think will work out very well with the 1.5 inch exhaust extension needed to make it fit.
The 90LX toni setup fits pretty well from the reports Ive had so far. Nothing lost with that setup. Although a little downward kick on one of the extensions might help things a bit. Im looking at a few ideas there.

with the small size of the alley cat, a 10x10 would be a good prop. Or start with something like a 11x12 prop and clip it to a bit under 10" dia.
Time will tell. Should be some of these in the air shortly. (what I really need is a D-1 serise 11x10 )

Name:	Rp43484.jpg
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	391642   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj26521.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	391643  
Old 01-20-2006, 06:03 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Crazy:

Here I am waiting for more than a month for my Animal and you want me to help you put www.matneymodels.com/ farther behind by buggging him. What kind of a buddy do you think I am other than flat stupid? For what its worth, don't call him, he will just refer you back to his web page for order. Look in his Q-500 group for the Animal Zoomer. If you want him to bag the wing for you, its an additional $100.00. You want the race wing if you want all out, the sports wing is about 15mph slower, but it flys like a typical sport airframe, just much faster.
Old 01-20-2006, 11:02 PM
Crazy4Flight

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: rmenke

Crazy:

Here I am waiting for more than a month for my Animal and you want me to help you put www.matneymodels.com/ farther behind by buggging him. What kind of a buddy do you think I am other than flat stupid? For what its worth, don't call him, he will just refer you back to his web page for order. Look in his Q-500 group for the Animal Zoomer. If you want him to bag the wing for you, its an additional $100.00. You want the race wing if you want all out, the sports wing is about 15mph slower, but it flys like a typical sport airframe, just much faster.
Ha! MatneyModels is less than an hour south of where I live!!! I can drive down there PAY IN CASH and be flying before yours is delivered!!!![>:][>:]

I have been considering the Zoomer for the 60LX FIRE, but yout "Animal" term took a left turn...that why I asked about the Animal Zoomer.

soon spring will be here and it will be time to kick the tires and light the FIREs

Bob
Old 01-21-2006, 01:01 AM
Flyboy Dave

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The OS 90 rear piper will run with any engine in the Universe.

FBD.

Name:	Jh17309.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	391946   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa86014.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	391947   Click image for larger version

Name:	Gl20465.jpg
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	391948   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bu58987.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	391949   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qb36010.jpg
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	391950   Click image for larger version

Name:	Du21403.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	391951  
Old 01-21-2006, 06:26 AM
HaveBlue

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

[quote]ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

soon spring will be here and it will be time to kick the tires and light the FIREs

Bob
nicely put[sm=thumbup.gif]..........Godspeed to you and the 60LX fire
Old 01-21-2006, 05:12 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Crazy:

I truly understand the "need for speed", but put survival first! I have two objections to this. The RCU gang is going to pick up on what we are doing, which is OK, we are not likely to clash in a club race. JUST DO NOT CLOG UP MY PURCHASE, I HAVE ALREADY PAID CASH! I don't want to show up for the first race of the season and find two or three more Zoomers waiting for me. I must have a little speed over the gang, last year the difference from first to second was 3 points, that one race, one cut, one blown start. Talk about the gang being on your butt! The Zoomer Animal is not a Q-500 legal airframe, not legal for the formulas. Its just a fun darn fast airplane that our club rules comittee will have a hard time throwing out, and our RCU go faster people will enjoy. But go faster guys, why don't you buy a good F-1 airframe, they are in the 200 mph range right out of the box and not bad flyers once dialed in and you get used to them, and land much like the Q-500's, but faster. You start your landing pattern by turning the engine off, flying up wind, hard turn down wind, another hard turn to final and upwind. Its sweet when you get it all right, very expensive pieces when you don't. Almost built a drag shute at one time as you can almost take a nap waiting for the things to slow down. ENJOY
Old 01-21-2006, 08:58 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob:

It would be ideal to get this muffler dropping in the oposite direction it currently does, or is that a illusion in this photo. I am frustrated with the AC and 90L installation as I just cant give anything in rpm's and speed away and keep in front of my gang. The AC firewall is just a stiffner for wood rails and can be removed in part with no structural problems. Looks like a rear exhaust engine with goose neck would work out very well. Thus my thinking about a Jett Fire rear exhaust 60, rossi, ops or os (I flat hate OS). Airframe is ready, weather is ready, can't quite make a decision in a given direction. Guess due to being retired and on limited finances (rat hole). Just cant throw new motors at it until it scoots as needed. Oh heck! Bro 119
Old 01-22-2006, 05:45 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Slomo:
Have been looking or a outlet for the OPS here in the States, but dont seem able to find one with a working site. Am also looking for a used RE OS, or OPS. Up until now I have seen these engines all over the place on E-Bay and RCU. Now that I am looking, nothing. Even FlyBoy Dave is silent after showing me his 91. Dave is about 3.5 hours away driving, wonder if he keeps his garage unlocked? Would probably be the first human in history to be eaten by a mexican hairless. The OPS that I have has been modified to a point I would not like to rely on it staying togeather
Old 01-24-2006, 02:22 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Crazy:

Very nice engine. Was looking at them also for the AC, and they are on sale for $225.00, a very good price. The specs,. 18K were disapointing to me as I want more. Looking at Rossie, they are about the same, 17K. Flyboy Dave placed me on the path of the OS 91 VRDS, rear rexhaust and carb, a jet fan design engine. Specs say 24K. With a toothpic? Probably should have stayed with the Jett line as they have been so good to me, but no friends when the flag drops! Just gotta have those rpms in the bank. If the thing does not work out, my Jett 90L will fit in the same mounting holes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service