Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Weston Magnum - Destroyed on First Flight!

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston Magnum - Destroyed on First Flight!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 04:25 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Futaba....lost control....

Originally posted by Flyboy Dave
....one word...."switch".
I'd go with the switch also, I crashed my Spacewalker twice for no apparent reason due to a bad HiTec switch. Both crashes happen from straight and level flight, the first time sudden pitch down, the second a snap roll. After the second repair I put a new motor in it, and while breaking the motor in the switch switched itself off. I turned it back on, and 30 seconds later it switched off again. I got the switch to do it 5 times while breaking the engine in that day. Needless to say the switch got tossed.
Old 11-26-2002, 05:37 AM
CONTENDER

Default Magnum-Destroyed

Maverick,
Sorry to hear about your crash! Unfortunately I would not rule out pilot error. I don't think a third of the 'Experienced' flyers at my club could keep up with my 32SX powered Dust....although I'll bet half of them would try, if I offered them the chance.
At speed, these planes cover a great deal of sky in seconds, and all it takes, even with a trimmed out speeder, is a quick pass thru the sun, and a slight over-contol,and you've bought the farm.
Don't give up...speed is addictive!!!! Just be sure that the pilot you choose, or you, are ready for the next trim flight.
I started flying in the early 70's, without duel rates, expo, or even servo reversing!! We would just set the planes up with the throw we thought we would need, and fly with 'soft hands'. Try dumping the expo, setting up really conservative low and high rates, and be prepared! Then increase the rates as necessary.
Also a word to' Experienced' flyers, be honest when asked to test fly a new plane. Ego is a powerful emotion, but it's a shame to loose a plane to 'pilot ego'. If you really question your ability to fly a plane...say 'no'....especially when you are dealing with one of these 'rockets'.....Do your club member a favor...just say no!!!
Good luck...and don't give up!
CONTENDER
Old 11-26-2002, 06:12 PM
Cactus.
My Feedback: (1)

Default Weston Magnum - Destroyed on First Flight!

you have to re-learn how to land with this. you know your gonna run out of fuel on the next last big mother of a dive, keep it slightly higher than normal and heading downwind, when it cuts just past you, pull up into a wing over type move and dive back at the patch, then flare out. 5mph landings are easy, just takes practice.
Soft hands are what my car racing was bassed on, i test flew a Rapier, looked like a RAF Vulcan, the owner took over 1/2 flight and it transformed into a bank and yank ship
Old 11-26-2002, 06:25 PM
Rubbie

Default Magnum Loss

Sorry to hear about your loss, I too lost a Patriot this past weekend. Thank the Lord they are coming back out again. The reason that I lost mine was servo failure, I determined that when I retracted the gear the retract servo was binding and dropping the voltage. I know that you don't have retracts but could one of your servo's been binding and failed causing the voltage to drop?
Old 11-26-2002, 09:52 PM
roywiglesworth

hey joe
just got a chance to check my throws on the magnum the
elevator is 3/8 up 3/8 down ailerons 5/16 up 5/16 down
get a chance i think i'll weight it i'm guessing its just under 3lbs.

roy
Old 11-28-2002, 01:05 AM
ishu4u
My Feedback: (9)

thanks for the feed back and i always wash my engines prior to first runs..guess what they all have some metal to spit out from the factory.....
Old 11-28-2002, 04:05 AM
flybike

Just curious, how do you flush out an engine? What do you use to flush it with? I suppose I could do a search, but as long as we are on this topic... Thanks, Hans
Old 11-28-2002, 02:15 PM
roywiglesworth

i use a combonation of spray carburator cleaner and mek these 2
products will take any thing down to bear metal don't get it on any painted surfaces or it won't be painted anymore. then i lube
it down marvel air tool oil. this is the first motor that i've seen
that needed to be flushed out new in the box i've checked other motors but never seen anything. i usealy as far as glow motors go
run os saito webra & jett . i guess this was like this because of it being regrinded on the port sleeve i don't think the manufacture left it like that because its a webra 50 and other webra i've purchased wasn't like that. althou the metal dust didn't seem to hurt anything because i didn't catch this untill the second tank and the second plug went out thats how i caught it
the particuls were very fine like talcon power. i guess for the most part they collected up in the glowplug element.
roy
Old 12-05-2002, 01:31 PM
[email protected]

!12/5/02 I just wanted to let everyone that purchased the MAGNUM, IT does fly, and I mean fly totally BALISTIC! THE only advise I can give to anyone,would be , Make sure all of the control surfaces are level with all trailing edges, Keep in mind about the tuned pipe, by being mounted on the right side of the model ,it may have a tendency to lean to the right due to the weight of it. The trim adjustment can compinsate this!
Old 12-05-2002, 09:16 PM
ishu4u
My Feedback: (9)

my engine is flushed and it was pretty clean from the factory.. the arf is laid out on the bench ready for assembly.. i have a report from another magnum flyer that during landings it needs a fair amount of elevator to flair well. i will set it up with 1/2 inch total up with about -75 expo on the fut 8uaps...also he said the anhedral tail can break on landings easily and i think i will limit the amount of anhedral i use. maybe just shy of regular horizontal tail..as for the pipe weight i always balance my planes side to side and add a stick on lead weight on the one wing tip for balance. this helps at low slow landing speed. and yes it does land slow enough this will make a difference. it will even land in a harrier position with a bit of wind, i am told.. best of luck to us all.
i am told it is faster than a whiplash by far..will report back soon when the local guys get together with radar gun and fly them side by side..the 200 mph on apc8x8 sounds honest.
Old 12-09-2002, 12:55 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally posted by ishu4u
..will report back soon when the local guys get together with radar gun and fly them side by side..the 200 mph on apc8x8 sounds honest.
...eehhh, 200mph, that would mean, with a 100% effective prop your engine would be doing over 26500 rpm...taking propeller slip into account, you would be getting a figure close to 30000 rpm...
What engine are you using? Must be an F3D engine, or something like that.
My bet is that 150 mph would be a more realistic number.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-13-2002, 06:08 PM
RampRat

I would have to agree with Contender who pointed out that the pilot-error should not be ruled out.

The Magnum can be a handful to fly for the first time when it's not trimmed correctly, the CG is not enough aft, and with a pilot who's ego might be somewhat bigger than his experience with very small, agile, fast models. I remember my first flight with my Magnum, and i especially remember how the Magnum made a fast 45 degree roll to the left as soon as it was launched due to torque, and how the aileron-throws were way more than needed.

I almost crashed mine within the first 3 seconds after launch, but managed to take control of my new radiocontrolled missile...

After the first flight, i made some adjustments on the control-throws, moved the CG back towards 130-135 mm's, and the Magnum became a sweet flier. I now deadstick it in for landing after cutting the engine on downwind, while continously increasing the angle of attack to bleed of airspeed, and end up with 10-15 degrees nose-up at touchdown... If the speed is to high before entering final leg, i just make a tight turn from base-leg to final leg, and it settles at a very nice approach-angle with an angle of attack at approx. 0 degrees.

With this kind of approach there's no second chance at landing, but when this routine get some personal polishing, you'll probably never need a second chance.

Recently i installed a Megasmoke-pump in my Magnum, accompanied by an extra 4,8V-600mAh battery and a extra 4oz tank for the smokefluid. I drilled a hole in the header for the injector, and the damned thing works like a charm! The all-up weight increased somewhat, but it still flies great, and launch and landings are the same. The white smoke looks great as it flies by. There is a slight drop of peak RPM when the pump is running, but it still moves fast enough.

Pictures or video will most likely show up in the near future.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:19 PM
maverick
My Feedback: (12)

Originally posted by RampRat
....and i especially remember how the Magnum made a fast 45 degree roll to the left as soon as it was launched due to torque, and how the aileron-throws were way more than needed.
This sounds exactly like what happened when mine was launched. I haven't yet dropped the idea of replacing the Magnum. I just received the tool today to remove the drive washer from the front of the engine which had been jammed on tight in the crash. After I remove this and check the engine thoroughly I may still have a good engine.
Old 12-13-2002, 08:59 PM
RampRat

Maverick: If you replace your Magnum i suggest the following:

- Put CG somewhere near 130 mm's

- Use less than recommended throw on the ailerons (preferably with dual-rate so that you can try the recommended throws once you get the hang of the flying characteristics of the Magnum).

- Keep the recommended throw for elevator. You'll need it for high-speed turns and soft landings.

- Launch it with just a little bit of nose-up attitude, and don't throw it. A gentle push will be enough. My launcher just let's go of mine, and mine is quite heavy. Needs a little elevator-input then, but the engine really shows it's potential when he does that.

- Give a little bit of right roll-input just as it is launched, and then you just let it pick up speed in a shallow climb straight a head for a couple of seconds (but no more, or you'll see how fast it get's away from you). I usually let it pick up speed for a couple of seconds before making a steep climbing turn.

- Start practising the approach straight away. The engine has a fuel-consumption in the range of a fullsize jet, so when it quits (not if, because it will.) you'll have a general idea of how to bring it in for a good landing. Speed and altitude are your best friends, but to much or too little of any of them on final approach will not provide you with a good landing.

I guess those are the best tips i can give about the Magnum.. Good luck to ya!
Old 12-13-2002, 09:02 PM
maverick

Maverick: If you replace your Magnum i suggest the following:

- Put CG somewhere near 130 mm's

- Use less than recommended throw on the ailerons
I only wish I had these tips before mine flew/crashed! These are two things that I would definitely need to change.
Old 12-14-2002, 05:08 AM
Rudeboy

Thanks guys...
I've ordered one too... Always nice to know these things before the maiden flight.
Too bad Braeckman (Germany) is out of Magnums; I will have to wait 'till 2003.
Old 12-29-2002, 11:44 AM
RampRat

Pictures or video will most likely show up in the near future.
And for those who are wondering what happened to the Magnum with smoke-video, here's the answer:

It just won't stop snowing!

I'll have to get back to this video at a later time.. Sorry..
Old 04-16-2003, 11:43 AM
simonbsimonb

Default magnum crash

ive only just joind this forum but as a speed freak of many years

i think i must point out that i have a magnum and built it exactly
per instructions ( change the control linkages to elevator as these were too stiff and would only drain battery on Rx)
and except for the lousy covering ripping loose on first flight )

the plane perfoms outstanding on a 9x6 prop 10% nitro running 22 ,000 rpm on the ground ( but watch that torque roll on take off ) and you have to fly it continually although ive tried to stall it ,it just wont snap out , even landing is an absolute dream

i just bring it in over the field on tick over cut the throttle and land
no prblems whatso ever .
Old 04-16-2003, 11:49 AM
Cactus.

8x8 my friend
as for covering, i saw a old and new Magnum side by side the other day, the old is a very different colour to the new, more of a lemon, new looks better, but Weston are right when they say the factory is screwing them over with the covering, thats why the stickers come off
Old 04-16-2003, 01:58 PM
simonbsimonb

Default 8x 8 prop

def a 9x6 prop and a tacho saying 22000

also my super tiger runs 21,500 on a 9x6

Old 05-10-2003, 01:21 AM
Rudeboy

I started putting my Magnum together today...

This thing reminded me why I stopped buying ARF's and even kits a long time ago... The wing fit on the fuse is horrible... There must something like a 3mm gap in the middle of the wing!

Mounting the engine is a pain in the ***...

As for the engine, well I have some issues there too...
When i moved (moved...not turned) the crank it felt gritty. The piston was at the bottom af the cilinder, so it wasn't due to the tight piston fit...
So I looked down the exhaust port... and guess what...: little scratches on the piston and liner. There must be something in there, and someone must have turned over that engine by hand when it was dry... Them little scratches probably wont do a lot of harm, but still, they shouldn't be there.

Next engine issue: I wasn't able to tighten the prop when using the spinner... so I started looking what could be wrong... It turns out the slitted brass cone that sits on the crank is simply too long. The backplate of the spinner touches the cone before it gets pressed against the thrust washer...
So the whole thing just starts to slip when I try to tighten it!

So what should I do? Send the thing back to Great Brittain to have it fixed, or just grind the cone down a little myself.
I can grind it down, no problem, but if them scratches turn out to be worse than they look, and I have to send the engine back for a repair under warranty, they might say I have to pay for the repair because I tampered with the engine...

The problem is that I have waited a long time for this thing to arrive, and now that it has, I want to fly the damn thing!
If I send the engine back, it will take ANOTHER couple of weeks before I can test this rocket... and was really getting ready to scare the old folks at the field...
Old 05-10-2003, 01:23 PM
maverick

Originally posted by Rudeboy
This thing reminded me why I stopped buying ARF's and even kits a long time ago... The wing fit on the fuse is horrible... There must something like a 3mm gap in the middle of the wing!

Mounting the engine is a pain in the ***...
Yes, mine was terrible to put together too. That combined with the first flight crash really turned me off, even when Vario was almost giving the things away!
Old 05-10-2003, 02:25 PM
sydclement

Default Magnum problems

Maverik, Rudeboy,
If the folks from Florida that sell the Magnum around here
are at the JOE NALL next week, as they were last year,
I will make sure they get the problems explained real good!!!!

If you go to page 9 of Extreme Speed Prop Planes you
can read the changes I made to hand launch the unit
safely, and all the problems I had during construction.

The Magnum does fly smooth and many folks like the looks.
Using the New Magmum 15% fuel which works great.
It flys somewhere in the 170MPH area with an APC 9x8 prop.

Still don't know weather it was worth all the dam trouble
with the missing part and construction problems..

Syd
Old 05-10-2003, 11:38 PM
maverick

Default Re: Magnum problems

Originally posted by sydclement
Still don't know weather it was worth all the dam trouble
with the missing part and construction problems..
No I don't believe it is. There are plenty of other airframes around that are much easier to put together that go just as fast.

The only thing the Magnum has going for it is looks.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:27 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Re: Re: Magnum problems

Originally posted by maverick
No I don't believe it is. There are plenty of other airframes around that are much easier to put together that go just as fast.

The only thing the Magnum has going for it is looks.

I really didn't find any difficulty in putting it together, I had mine done in about 8 hours. The only poor fit was the wing saddle, I made an epoxy and micro balloons fillet and all was good. I also replaced the metric wing bolts with SAE so when I lose them it's not impossible to get new ones.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.