Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Weston Magnum Launching Question

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston Magnum Launching Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 04:44 PM
kirkster2003

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weston Magnum Launching Question

My Magnum has six flights on it now, the last one with a little mishap. My poor father was launching it and it just wouldn't take flight. He was holding it in the front of the wing and just behind the wing. Is there a better way. Should he run and throw, should he put a finger all the way in the back of the fuse and throw it that way. I'm using and APC 8x8 prop and getting 21000 rpm. The plane itself flies great, the launches have been a little sketchy.

P.S.- How in the world are you guys launching this thing by yourself.

Thanks,

Kirkster 2003
Old 01-21-2006, 09:54 PM
jsn
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Weston Magnum Launching Question

Sounds like your launcher(father) just needs a little practice He's holding it right... have him use his weak hand up front to steady ONLY and shove with his strong from behind the wing... have him put all he's got into it... also have him hold the nose LEVEL or just SLIGHTLY DOWN when he tosses it. If your having problems with it pulling to the left have him roll the right wing tip down just a TINY BIT... to much will get you in more trouble The other thing that will help a BUNCH until you both get the hang of things is run a 9x7 9x8 prop... the extra thrust helps.

Launching by yourself is not hard once you get the hang of it... that's if the plane makes it that long Hold the plane by the nose and give a good FIRM nose level toss...tossing into a slight breeze helps at first... still unless you have to go it alone it's always best to have a launcher

I ended up putting gear on mine... the dry lake I fly from was just tearing the snot out of the bottom no matter how perfect the landing... the gear makes it safer by yourself but without a rudder it has it's own quirks if there's ANY wind blowing.

John