Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

speedy Aspire?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2006, 05:00 PM
Matt G

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default speedy Aspire?

Hey all, I crashed my wonder a while back and getting the itch again for some speed. My question is, have any of you ever cut down the wing of a 2 meter sailplane to 48" and added power for some decent speed? I have a hanger 9 aspire sailplane that I don't fly anymore and was thinking of cutting off polyhedral wingtips to 48" and modifying it for bolt on wings and cowling in a 25fx and am looking for ideas or advice if anyone else has done this. The fuse is 44 1/2" and fairly clean dragwise. Also need to revamp canopy attachment for a more solid mount. Looking for some feed back on this idea, so let me know what you think!
Matt.
Old 02-27-2006, 07:06 PM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: speedy Aspire?

Interesting idea. Let us know how it works out.
-Steve
Old 02-27-2006, 07:44 PM
Rebellion
My Feedback: (2)

I had an Aspire several years ago. I'd definitely look into beefing up the tailfeathers if I were planning on going fast with it.
Old 02-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Matt G

Yeah, good idea. Might even shrink them a little.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:10 PM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

I'd consider beefing up everything if you're gonna throw a 25 on it! I don't think that wing would handle it! :P
Old 02-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Matt G

Started on it today! Might be a while before its done, 8 month old son takes most of my time and am not really fast builder anyway. So far I have the wing cut down and nose cut off but am having some issues with gear placement due to narrow fuse. Will need to strip wing covering and glass leading edge and cut out ailerons. Will probably do away with rudder control to make room for aileron servo. Wish me luck!