Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

ARF or Kit for Balls Out Speed

Old 01-31-2006, 12:17 PM
Crash1976

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default ARF or Kit for Balls Out Speed

I am looking for a .40-.50 size kit or ARF plane that is designed for sheer speed. Any ideas or pictures/links would be great. What are your setups and such?

Crash
Old 01-31-2006, 03:34 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: ARF or Kit for Balls Out Speed

Crash:
Suggest you spend some time reading the threads you are in. In the end, wings such as the Whiplash, Shrike, ARD Stingray are quick. The Shrike arf at Tower should keep you busy for a while, gotta remove the landing gear to scoot. ARD stingray is available in arf form, although a little pricy. The ARF aspect is asking a might much as the speed nut crowd you are in is small. (limited sales) You wnta hit 200mph, going to have to go to a formula ARF airframe, Jett or Nelson formula 40 power (Jett a tad faster), or go to the unlimited class of racers and spend the $10,000.00 or so to guarantee the 200 mph. There are one or two for sale at rcu and E-bay currently that would be good buys compaired to starting fresh. Your not going to get there without studdy, work and money. Sorry, speed is expensive any way you want to look at it. The world's speed merchants are currently located in Germany. Wold be worth wile to go to the annual Europe meet this year where they are talking 250 mph. There are a lot of po-po's this side of the pond, but I dont see any USA challangers making the trip. Bottom line where the BS stopps is where are the world records are located. Part of our problem in compeeting here is our own AMA and their legal counsil being typically afraid of their own shaddow. Live with it, its part of living in a society that is looking for their "Rights", and a free shot at wealth without work! Sad, but true! "Oh, you made me spill coffee in my lap" Sorry for the social comments.
Old 01-31-2006, 03:49 PM
RCBOZO
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

What kind of speed are you talking with the .40 Shrike Arf with a standard .46 engine?
Old 01-31-2006, 04:25 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Crash:

You have to pay your dues here and spend the time to read. What do you mean by a "standard 46". You want to go fast? Got to start with decent equipment, Jett or Nelson, several others. No substitue for quality=$ If it wont turn 20K plus, its not going to scoot. You can stick a OS 46 AX with performance pipe in a Shrike and get 120-140 or so mph. Landing gear has got to go, drag problem. RCU is a wonderful source of expert information, excluding myself. Old does not equal expert. Their knowledge has been earned through hard work, studdy, and test, test, test. Most, if not all will help you with a specific direction toward a specific goal, exceptional and wonderful people here. They are not going to give you much of their time unless you are willing to make a little effort. Just my thoughts.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCBOZO

What kind of speed are you talking with the .40 Shrike Arf with a standard .46 engine?
with a 46 FX or TT Pro 46 and no gear you should pass 100 mph without problem. OS LA and gear may not make 100 in level flight
Old 01-31-2006, 07:35 PM
SPEED JUNKIE
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Balls out flying has huge drag penalties![sm=punching.gif]

Retract for comfort and top speed![sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 01-31-2006, 08:27 PM
RCBOZO
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks mike for reply. Besides the OS .46 FX and other run of the mill engines what would be the next step up in a performance speed engine with out breaking the bank?

As far as the Shrike .40 ARF goes what would be a top MPH that you would need to be concerned about passing and fluttering this particular plane?
Old 01-31-2006, 08:34 PM
vicman
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

fast=$ to me a buck is pretty good for a Sunday flyer. I still want more.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Rcpilot
My Feedback: (78)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Buy a GP Viper 500 ARF pylon plane and stuff a 60 size engine on the firewall.

Mine came out tail heavy as sh it--and I had to stuff a battery and servo up front behind the firewall to make it balance with a 46FX. So, I don't see why you couldn't use a 60 on it.

Of course, major reinforcement of the frontal area is in order. Glass, pins, the usual stuff.

Might not be a bad idea to just epoxy the tail on if your going to put that much HP on it.

Go for a 10" prop with lots of pitch and break your engine in right--high RPMs and rich enough that you don't cork it inside the first 3 minutes of running.

Hang on to your shorts.

I know everyone is going to flame the hell out of me for suggesting a .60 on a Viper--but you DID say you wanted to go fast, and it doesn't sound like you have much experience. A Viper and a .60 is a good way to get your feet wet with some serious speed, and a limited budget. It's an ARF that costs $120 and you can put it together in 2 evenings. You can buy a budget .60 engine for under $100. Thunder Tiger, super Tigre, and GMS all make budget .60 engines that have proven track records for reliability. The ST being the heaviest--but also ringed. The TT is an ABC and the GMS is ringed and also the cheapest of the bunch. I like ringed engines--but thats just my personal preference. Doesn't mean they are better or worse than an ABC.

If you buy the viper and a .60 engine--you got about $200 in it. Toss in some decent servos and a RX, and your up to about $350 for the whole shootin' match. Not bad for a taste of speed. And believe me--with a .60 on a viper--you'll get speed. Lots of it.
Old 02-01-2006, 12:28 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's hard to beat the Viper for quick speed, without breaking the bank.

FBD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64733.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	399585  
Old 02-01-2006, 12:32 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: RCBOZO

Thanks mike for reply. Besides the OS .46 FX and other run of the mill engines what would be the next step up in a performance speed engine with out breaking the bank?

As far as the Shrike .40 ARF goes what would be a top MPH that you would need to be concerned about passing and fluttering this particular plane?
You could just add a JettStream or UltraThrust tuned muffler to an OS or TT for decent power. My Shrike had a Jett 50 with the shorter SS muffler. My Shrike was a kit and if built right flutter was not a progblem. There are a few threads on the Shrike ARF so you might try a search for more info.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:39 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I am looking for a .40-.50 size kit or ARF plane that is designed for sheer speed. Any ideas or pictures/links would be great. What are your setups and such?

Crash
What about a Jett 50 or 60 in a Diamond Dust or Whiplash. The Diamond Dust airframe is defintely faster than the thicker and heavier Shrike (Trust me, as I have both [with similar engines]). Plus it's fun watching the Dust doing the low high-speed fly-bys. Speed will probably be in the 140-150 MPH range.
Old 02-08-2006, 03:04 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Ok Rcpilet, consider yourself blow torched with regards to a 60 in a Q-500. Way too much weight for little rpm. You would go faster with a hot little 35, like a Webra speed and performance muffler, or OS AX etc at half the price. There are few high dollar 60's out there that will give you over 17K, some of them seem to be made from lead. There seem to be a black hole for engines that really put out the rpms once you esceed the 50's. Yes, there are high dollar exceptions. Dont think the guy wants to invest $500.00 into a power plant and exhaust system that will truly pull the tailfeathers off this bird. Yes, there are a lot of us here that would save their penneys and buy a Jett, Nova Rossi, OPS, or other, and then send it to the hop up artist of their choice and get back a real high rpm motor to crow about. Cobratraxxas69, you gotaa know this bunch of guys are without doubt, the best people in the world, we are also certified crazies, who in a brotherhnood, lust for speed, think speed, live for speed, dream speed, almost above life itself. Given a choice between 250mph and the best looking babe in the world, most here would take the 250. Sadly, I would, but I have age an excuse, whats yours? Oh, that must have really hirt some of my brothers, but thats thw way we are!

Rever Bro #119.