Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

how fast can a mustang be?

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

how fast can a mustang be?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:55 PM
RodneyR
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how fast can a mustang be?

Hey guys...been trying to get info on my latest project...60 size P-51 re-enforced for a magnum 1.08. The two were paired as a gift from my mother in-law and I'm building it as a racer...Was wondering what prop I should run? Considering the power to weight. And If any of you have chopped a p-51 for speed? what were the results? Almost finished with it so looking forward to the " test and tune" ....Any info...or advice appreciated.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:46 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: how fast can a mustang be?

Well if it were me, i would start with a 14/8 apc for a few flights and see how it goes. I leave my initial props on for about 10 flights or so. if I like it then I leave it alone. You will see an immediate change in performance when you change props if you leave the first prop on for a while.
Old 02-07-2006, 01:34 AM
da50ex

Have you clipped the wings? Just a thought as that's what they do in Reno on the big ones
JOhn
Old 02-07-2006, 01:53 AM
RodneyR

I have a 15/8 now I might try it if it spins well...I have not clipped it yet, although I've thought about it...figured I'd get used to it with the big engine first, check for the dreaded
flutter and use the extra wing to perfect the CG etc...It will require moving the ailerons over,
but it's not gonna be hard to do. Thanks again for the input. I'll try to get some pics on..and post the results of the first test..soon I hope...the weather here has been really mild but rather windy on clear days.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:18 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

As noted, fly the plane somewhat conventionally first - use a common prop like the 15x8. Do the shake down flights, make sure the linkages are tight and there is no flutter or surface flexing issues.

The mustang is not going to be real fast, no matter what you do. But there are things to get the best you can out of it.

For best results, you will want retracts. Getting the gear up is most important.

Clipping the wings will not do as much good as it will harm. Don't bother. All you will end up with is an ill-handling plane with too high of a wing loading. It does not change the frontal area much - and that is the killer on a P-51. Leaving off (or re-fairing) the belly scoop and dropping the canopy lower would be more effective. Again, minimal gains here... weigh the hassel factor.

Eventual prop selection - try using a 13x10 or 14x10 prop on the 108
(yes, the engine can deal with a few more rpm - it may surprise you)
The pitch and reduced prop-disk area will get you the speed you want.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:30 PM
Erik R
My Feedback: (32)

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey,
I had a modeltech 60 sized P-51 with an OS 108 in it.Ran in the 110-120 mph range with a 15x8 apc.No faster with a 14x8,and worse vertical.Done in Miss America theme.Gave it to a bud,and he still flies it.Nose heavy with the big mill,make sure you get the gear as far forward as you can,and be ready with the up elev on t/o/ldg,or she'll nose over.I added some weight to the tail,but didn't want to go nuts.Mine wasn't clipped,so yours should be faster,although I don't know how the magnum compares to the OS.Also had flaps,really helped it slow to land.
Good luck!
Erik
Old 02-08-2006, 03:29 PM
RodneyR

I appreciate the use of all the experience you fellows have. I do have retracts installed
(and working) Will probably leave the air frame and wing stock for the time being...establish a base for the mods in the future.
I have a modeltech 25-36 size ME109 that I've been running an old enya 35 on, but now it has a OS la-40 so I'm used to T/L with the elevator full up. It is a great little plane,
and seems fast because it's so small. Man it can vanish if your not carefull. Thanks again i'll
keep posting progress....