Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Matney Animal Zoomer

Old 02-08-2006, 07:12 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Matney Animal Zoomer

Animal here (finally)

The truck just dropped off my animal zoomer ordered 12-8, sort of a while, but no real problem. First impressions: Kit is intended for the experienced builder. Comes with no hardware, no additional stuff other than fuse and wing ordered to be bagged for a aditional $100.00. The glass fuse is reasonable quality, streight, no firewalls, elevator and rudder loctions etteched. Will be happy with it. You buy and make your own rudder and elevator from 1/4" basa or what ever you want. This is fine with me as it is usually what happens to factory provided material with some exceptions. Don't like to install engne firewall as it is time consumeing for me, such as it is. Wing came as ordered with the LE ready to be installed, no L.G. cutouts (ok) in this case the trailing edges are not perfect as to being streight, but will be fine when removed in part to install ailerons and related connection points. I don't criticise work that is eaquil to or better than I can produce, and none here with the product as received. Wing design is neat, owerall when Jett 50 powered, should be hard to keep up with even for the wing-e things. First comes first, the Alley Cat on the bench needs final work, a Bud needs some covering of his creature, and then the animal will get its deserved attention as I think this thing will be the cock of the walk! I promise to learn to upload pictures shortly (again), but right now new medictions have me wanderilng in strange places. ENJOY Bro #119
Old 02-08-2006, 08:13 PM
buddude8
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Matney Animal Zoomer

hi rmemke

i was hoping you would have that finished for when i come up to see you. its coming up quick just a little over a month away. I have another engine on order for my alley cat. hopefully i will get it in time so i can bring that plane too. I figure if your alley cat kicks my little tonis but, then i would bring out my alley cat to save me from embarresment lol. i will be calling you in a couple of weeks.

ken
Old 02-08-2006, 11:11 PM
HaveBlue

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey Rmenke, glad to hear you got the zoomer, please upload pics ASAP, I'm still interested in this frame and would like to see mulitple views .

I have had comms with the guys in Germany, got a couple of fuses and a DF engine heading my way in april sometime, just got to find someone on these shores that can CNC cut foam...I'm following their advise to the letter sounds like some REAL speed is going to happen by mid year..

In the mean time I think the zoomer will be a nice warm up plane probably go well with the 60LX , but Ive been converted into the ducted fan league of engines and now find sport engines rather boring..they arent up to expectations and the DF engine is cheaper to boot..sort of like getting a Lamborghine at a chev price instead of a chev at a lamborghine price..but I imagine any savings will go into the cnc work..

there is always a place for the sport engines, especially the better performing ones..they just aren't up to par for all out speed as far as IC engines go you really need the big numbers

all in all the zoomer still holds interest for me so when you can post some pic's ..I particularly interested in how the engine mounts and to see how "creative" I would have to become to run a fire with pipe and keep it sleek
until later bro

cheers
Old 02-09-2006, 01:54 PM
Glorfindel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Mine is about 70% finished....Wings are sheeted and ail are cutted out, i will put 1 servos per ail. Will use the little hs85.
I'm putting a Jett Q500 in it. The firewall is not hard to glue in. It's not a beginner plane, you heve to built it all the way. I will not use any landing gear. I'm still not sure if i will glass the wing too or put monokot on it....

BTW i dont know if you see alot of glass fuse in your life or maybe the one you get was not like mine, but the fuse is close to perfection. No pinhole, not too heavy, i wish all the df kit i had over the years was like that....
Old 02-09-2006, 03:53 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yo Bueddude8 (Ken)

First things first. Still working out the kinks on the AC and my gosh darn old boddy. The AC could fly tomarrow if I plushed things, but will put-put and get it done in reasonable time "my way". The motor is broken in from the Tony experience, will be flying the 25 or 26 with the XL pipe just to get the additional rpm lost with the extension. Have a hunch I might need all the rpm available out of that engine. Too bad the OS fan motor tuurned out to be a worn out item. Then I would be sittilng with the snide smile on the face. Its so good to have 5-10 mph on everone! That motor will slip into the AC in the same mount holes, minor mods to get the pipe in. As to the Animal, dont think your gonna get a 90 fan motor in this little guy. Fuse is oval and about 2-3/4" deep by 2-1/4" wide at the motor mount point tapering down to a 2" nose. Ideal for my Sport Jett 50. The combo should let me relax some during our club racing season. Cumfortilng to know you gotta killer waiting in the back if needed. Guess there is something to that "treacherous old men" stuff in Flyboy Daves montra. Haveblue's 60 LX being based on a 40 case should slip right in. The pipe will clear the wing no problem side mounted, and work ok top or inverted mount. Will be a great "Wow" bird, not going to see 200mph I don't think. If you want to see 200 mph, were going to have to follow our German firends directions with resspects to the airframe. Sleek, no drag, no open control surfaces or landing gear, 9% speed wing etc. , or just buy a good formula and racilng Jett or Nelson and tweek a little. Our overall goals conflict in that I want a larger airframe for ease of sight and flight that will outrun the gang in a fixed club racer format. The younger guys here can make life easy with smaller sized airframesd and engines easy to come by. I can hang in flying with a Q-500, but once you get into smaller airframes (lr-1) things get iffy. Have yet to stuff one, but very close too many times. My concern is for the safety of others. Our site requires the pilots to be 75 feet or so from the racing line around turn 2. Thats about 1/2 second to correct a problem turn, or get out of the way in a structural failure. Anyway, will get on the stick and start the Animal project and some pics to you guys as soon as I can. My excuse is the Shingles problem Im tryilng to kick has not gone away, and my new drug "neurontin" kicks you higher and a good quality joint! May have feen fun 50 years ago, but just a pain in the ass to deal with now. Am forced to take things very slowly or will screw up, or forget something critical for sure. Should be out of the woods by 3-10, and very ready for the weekend of the 25th. Do you know for sure what day, 25, or 26? Go to www.Mercedcountyradiocontrolclub.com for some good directions and map to our field. Ok, back to work! ENJOY bRO 119.
Old 02-09-2006, 04:10 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glorfindel:

You do well with english, I could do nothing with french. My fuse is quite good, only small problem is the seam lap could be better, but it just a fill and sand thing. As to the wing, I would recommend the fiberglass center section as shown on the plans and then cover with Ultracoat. Much stronger than monokote. Tailfeathers will be balsa sandwach with ply, or firberglass, maybe carbon fiber mat. Dont anticipate any problem with the firewalls or other stuff, just simpler to have them in when the product is in the mould. Get us some pics as you go along if you can, and enjoy this great bunch of people. I learn something new every darn day! To work!
Old 02-09-2006, 04:21 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi Blue:

Am set for the season now, must get the Animal finished next so will have actually two good backups for our coming club racing season. The Yellow Jacket is still a very capable little racer that has yet to be beaten when set correctly. Am still gonna get a good fan motor and build one "super scooter" founded on the design conscept of german friends. Cant get down to the 9% wing and make the thing turn well, and cant give up the retract landing gear due to our field environment, but the overall conscept will follow their directions. Wing, about 50-54", 12to 15%, everythig streemlined. Going to be a fun project, not shooting for 200, but close. Will be talking with you. Roger
Old 02-09-2006, 07:11 PM
jeffk464

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have been really tempted to order one of these planes, I think Ill have to add it to my list of projects. Anyways, could you post some pictures so we can all get an idea on what these things look like.
Old 02-10-2006, 02:54 PM
rmenke

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jeff:
Will try to do shortly. Must finish the AC which is close. Blew up my Jett tank last night in trying to clean it out from stupid leavilng some fuel in it when stored. New ordered from Jett along with the 90 LX pipe. Trying to do this thing up right so I have little chance of failures. New SR battery comming, everything ready to stuff and fly.
Old 02-10-2006, 11:29 PM
jeffk464

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Glorfindel

Did the firewall pretty much align itself or was it possible to install in a bad angle.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:08 PM
Glorfindel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Here is how i did the job.

1- I did a paper spacer to put in between my spinner backplate and the fuse.

2- I mounted the engine in the plane, with the spinner( and the spacer) against the fuse, the spacer given you the clearence you need. See on the pic i just did fot you (but i just make a fake sapcer )

3- Mark where the backplate of the engine is.

4- Make a paper firewall and test fit it.

5- Cut the plywood one.

6- Mount again the engine, the spinner resting on the spacer and fuse again. Tape it on the fuse like that.

7- Glue in your firewall. Your firewall should rest against the engine backplate. *

If you carefully align your spinner by the fuse the engine will be aligned and the firewall will be at the right angle/position too!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ro41776.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	406153  
Old 02-11-2006, 02:05 PM
jeffk464

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

NIce job, looks a little tricky to make a perfect template for the firewall.