Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Looking to get Into Extreme Speed Planes

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Looking to get Into Extreme Speed Planes

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2006, 12:42 AM
Iturnright

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to get Into Extreme Speed Planes

Well, I am one to keep his options open, and I've realized that the car won't fit any planes with wingspans more than 48", so I'm looking into some smaller, but just as exciting aircraft. I'd guess that the main issue is the field. We have a fair sized flying area and are putting in a runway, but it is still essentially a park. However, we have seen some high powered planes there; hotliners are a routine sight, and we've seen 2 planes that easily topped 140mph, and one pilot has a giant E-powered U-Can Do with an 81'' wingspan he has brought out[X(]. So, the field isn't too big of an issue in my mind.

In any case, I think one of my options could be a small electric powered speed plane like the Shrike .10/EP or similar. But first I should probably ask what the advantages-disadvantages are with these very fast planes, and what experience is recommended before purchasing? I'd be glad for help with one of these extreme speed planes.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:31 PM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Default RE: Looking to get Into Extreme Speed Planes

The Shrike is a very popular plane in this forum, as is the Diamond Dust.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:44 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I think the DIAMOND DUST is a great way to get your feet wet. They are fast enough with an OS .32, turning an APC 8x8 to put a big smile on most anyones' face. . They come out weighing 2.5 pounds, so take offs and landings are a breeze.
Old 02-12-2006, 12:51 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

There is a Q-500, Shrike, Dust and Magnum but if you go electric there may be better options. These are not beginner airplanes but the Q-500 is not too hard to fly if you have more then just trainer experience. I doubt you have grass to land on where you live so landing gear may protect your plane. What kind of car limits you to a 48" wing span?

Old 02-12-2006, 02:42 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Iturnright:
Not sure you are in here with the right bunch of guys. This bunch are generaly commited to glow powered speed, but with great overall knowledge. Some little guys that would addapt to electric are the Krangke F-3D currently out of production, but occasionally available on the innernet. They will be coming back! Then theres the cutee Larson Lr-1. Think the best I am aware of is the electric speed plane fron Matney Models, designed for where you need to go. All will fit in a Ugo. Your next car should be at least something like a Honda Accord or equal where the back seat folds down. Got some big airframes in mine prior to the Outback which works great for almost anything normal. ENJOY
Old 02-12-2006, 04:03 PM
HaveBlue

advantages = lots of fun, keep you sharp , usually everyone stops to look at speed planes

disadvantages= when they go in, they go in..major rebuild time if not a new plane needed
Old 02-12-2006, 06:08 PM
Iturnright

Thanks for replies. About the cars, I'll just say that a lot of planes will fit into a small car if you try hard enough, but big planes really reduce that amount, not to mention the high prices, since I have to stay with electric.

To clarify, what I really need is an entry-level extreme speed plane that is designed for electric or that can be converted to elec, that isn't too big, (I. E. cost saving)

-The field is normally dry grass, not all that soft, but it is useable, although we are adding a runway, so as long as the bottom of the plane has decent durability, I'd be fine either with landing gear or without.

-My experience so far is 1 year beyond trainer flying, although I'm told I'm a quick learner. Hopefully once my Super Sportster gets flying I'll have some more experience from here until April, which is the earliest possible opportunity to purchase, but I could hold off for a while if I'm having any trouble.
Old 02-12-2006, 08:16 PM
Airbike
My Feedback: (6)

First, aren't you turning the wrong way? I thought most of the guys go fast and turn LEFT!

If you want to try speed electrics, check out Soaringusa.com or nesail.com or esprit models (sorry, don't know their web site)

Small fiberglass/carbon reinforced pylon racers start from around $120. Full blown F5D electric racers with FULL CARBON wings start around $440

I think the "Quick" is a good value for "most bang for the buck, or most speed for the buck in an electric) you can set it up for mild to WILD depending on your motor of choice. 130-140mph level laps easily obtained. 150-160mph easy from dives. The hardest part is keeping the plane in sight as it's only 30" span. Mine is set up with a Neu 1105/2.5D motor, Phoenix 35 ESC, Thunder Power Prolite 3S 2100mah battery, and a apc 4.5x4.1 prop.

Other electric pylon planes in this same catagory are: VIP, Stinger, Sokol, Excite 400, and several more than I can't recall.

The larger F5D planes are easier to see and IMO, more stable at speed, but will cost more to set up. Check out the Excite F5D, Nemesis, Sunracer, Bathleth, Jibe, Cyclone... (from acmeflyingmachines.net)

You might want to check out the High Performance Forum at RCGroups.com for some more info.
Old 02-13-2006, 03:12 AM
jeffk464

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here was my sollution for getting those large wingspans down to the field.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73833.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	407279  
Old 02-13-2006, 10:15 AM
Joe Ortiz
My Feedback: (75)

ORIGINAL: jeffk464

Here was my sollution for getting those large wingspans down to the field.

Nice truck, but not everybody can afford one of those, specially me[&o]
Old 02-13-2006, 11:10 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

If you want something that flys real well, and is very quick...

take a look at matneymodels.com and the Vixen page.

This is a Speed 400 type model. Depending on the speed control, battery and motor you use, this can be either a quick sport ship, or a VERY quick compeitive race plane. Somewhat affordable. You may want to splurge on the pre-fab wing.