Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Dustflyer's new Whiplash ready to go

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Dustflyer's new Whiplash ready to go

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2002, 07:14 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Dustflyer's new Whiplash ready to go

Just waiting for a few warm days to break in the engine and go fly. Came in at 4lb, 6oz using 8411's and an 1100 mah pack.

Engine is a Jett FIRE 50 with a MACS quiet tuned pipe. Have not run the engine yet but Dubb said he achieved 18,600 not fully peaked using the 8.8 X 9.75 prop I supplied him.

The engine came from Jett with Merlin glow plug. I've tried that plug along with hot and cool plugs from Rossi and Enya and in all cases I got the best results from the KB 1L or KB HP plug. Can't wait to see what the engine and prop will do on Magnum 20/20 fuel and KB plug!.

The paint is Rustoleum florescent orange with clear on top. Definitely high vis!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	38993_257.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	24311  
Old 12-03-2002, 07:16 PM
Dustflyer

Default Bottom

Here's the high-vis scheme I use on the bottom. Helps me know which end is up!

Name:	38994_257.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	24312  
Old 12-08-2002, 04:53 AM
SSAN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Dustflyer,

I see that you took the advised...

By the way, I would recommend you use a McCoy #9 instead of the K&B plug. The K&B 1L will not hold up to Jett .50 performance and will blow the element easily. Your best bet is the McCoy #9 because it was designed for High RPM use. I use it all in my Racing Engines with RPM ranging from 19,000+ to about 30,000 for the FAI .40 and they're great. I can get many run with each plug, but I often change one plug for every flight to get the optimum performance for racing. Got to keep the edge you know.

Hope this information help!

Sam
Old 12-09-2002, 12:10 AM
Dustflyer

Default Plugs etc.

Hi Sam,

Isn't the McCoy #9 a ducted fan plug? If I'm not mistaken it is a cold plug designed for high nitro and not particularly suited for an engine on 15% nitro.

I do have an open mind; however, so I will definitely give it a try at some point..

I had nothing but outstanding results with the KB 1L when I was running the 9 X 10 props. After at least 100 flights I remember blowing only one plug after 20 flights or so. After that I would just change the plug every 10-20 flights but that was probably unecessary.

My friend Syd has picked up 500 rpm or so using Magnum 20/20 which is extraordinary, a much greater increase than would be expected with just a 5% increase in nitro. Merlin, the current plug used in Jett engines makes a version specifically for 20%. I have a few of the 5-15% nitro Merlin plugs but plan to try the cooler one just to see what happens when I run the Magnum. I have a few quarts of the fuel on the way.

The weather has been horribly cold in the NE and we just got hit with 7" of snow. Hopefully the forecasted rain for next week will get rid of it. Once we get some temps above 50 I hope to get out and fly the Whiplash. I am also anxious to see how my Diamond Dust does with the new 8.8 X 9.75 prop.
Old 12-09-2002, 01:45 PM
MMallory
My Feedback: (1)

Dustflyer,

I guess you will need to change your name to Whiprider or something.

The Mccoy plug should work fine. I only use 5% or 10% in my ducted fans with this plug and I use it on my Dust with 15% fuel.

Mark M.
Old 12-09-2002, 02:06 PM
Jeff Leavitt

Default 'OL #9

Dusty,

What these guy's are telling you re: the Mc Coy #9 are right down the line with my experience and many others in the pylon community. Running Powermaster 15%, a Supertiger GS 40 with a "Nelson" Ultra Thrust muffler" an APC 9x6 prop would run 18,600 out of the box. Some days you could fly all the heats on the same plug, yup, the No. 9 is king of the plugs... Try it... you can't go wrong.... Rgds, Jeff
Old 12-09-2002, 06:32 PM
Rocket
My Feedback: (4)

Default hot motor cold plug

the mc coy plug works the best with piped motors. the jett should be no exception. the mini pipe that comes with jett pylon motors wont like the mc coy but the KB1LHP. when you run a rear exhaust with the mac's pipe the mc coy might be a better deal.

a few years a go my self and my flying partner did the fuel test for the ama to see if we could slow the planes to a safer speed at minimal expense to the pilots by changing the nitro content of the fuel.

the fuel you are running might not be as good as you think. off the top of my head here's a guess as to the results as best as i remember.

NELSON QM40
ROCKET 7.2X8.0 WOOD PROP
MISS ASHLEY II
NELSON STANDARD PLUG

15% FUEL 185 MPH + -
05% 190 MPH + -
0% FAI 185 MPH + - this fuel we had to drop the liner to 185 and drop the head to 10 but used the same plug and prop.

for yuck yucks you might want to try different nitro contents to see if less is more. when i told shadel about what we found he said the design of the head was better suited for less nitro and the motors still have room for improvement. the pic is of 2 nelson heads, the one with runs on it is FAI and the other is Q40/Q500.

you can see the difference. RR

Name:	40068_2311.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	24313  
Old 12-09-2002, 08:04 PM
Dustflyer

Default Plugs, fuel, etc.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm the first to admit I don't know all that much about this stuff.

Sounds like the McCoy is certainly worth a try. Hadn't thought about using less nitro but I guess I'll try that too. Funny you mentioned it because I always thought my little two stroke glow engines ran better on 10% than 15. I guess the only reason I wound up with 15% and sticking with it for all my engines is because it is the recommended fuel for the Jett.
Old 12-12-2002, 12:33 AM
SSAN

Dustflyer,

Yes, they're the plug that Ducted Fan Flyers use, but it's not limited to just high Nitro content. The plug can be use in all types of application from Sport flying to High Performance engines using 0% Nitro on up. Although, it's a cold plug, but has shown to run just fine with all my engines (from my old mid 1980's Magnum GP .40 to my current racing engines) and it can take a beating without blowing element.

I guess the rest has been answered by others...

Sam