Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

diamond dust

Old 12-06-2002, 12:06 AM
superdave118

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default diamond dust

hey
i was wandering if anyone has any pictures of the building process. what kind of servos and engine you used. i was thinking of a jettfire 50 with tuned pipe. does anone think building a cowl around the pipe and radio equipment help increase speed.
Old 12-06-2002, 12:46 AM
vetagator
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default piece 'o cake

6 ribs, 2 carbon tube spars, 2 carbon tube leading edges, ply motor mount and some balsa sheeting. Not much to it. It will take you longer to cover than to frame up. Jett 50 will make it greased lightning. I used hitec 5945 servos. A cowl may make it cleaner but heavier. The DD has alot of drag to begin with because of the spacing of the ribs causes the covering to sag alot. The airframe makes alot of noise when flying and when you cut the power, the DD slows down quickly. I have been considering making one with leading edge sheeting and balsa half ribs. Any thoughts out there? Good luck with yours.
Old 12-06-2002, 03:36 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default diamond dust

superdave118

check out my gallery. I have a few pics of my DD while I was building it and finished. Hope this helps out some
Old 12-06-2002, 03:41 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default diamond dust

Hey also I noticed you are from Marietta Ga. where abouts do you fly? I am down here in Clayton county, we have a club right here off or 19 and 41. Drop by sometime and I will have the DD in action
Old 12-08-2002, 04:42 PM
Jeff Gilbert

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default diamond dust

For all you guys who fly the Diamond Dust.
The Diamond Dust was originally designed for a .32 engine although we have tested it and flown it at over 200 mph with larger engines which everyone can do if they keep the covering tight. The best way to do this is to start with a tight covering job.
You may also do something that we are going to put as an addendum, add a 1' srip of super cover rite (around the framed aircraft before covering) above and below the spars from tip to tip. You can also do the same by banding the air frame with kevalar, then brush it with stix it or balsa rite so your covering will attach to it. If you have anymore question you can check our website or call (352) 486-2159 and ask for Jeff.
Or we can supply you with the hottest Dust you have ever seen!!! (Arf).
P.S. The cowling has been done, It is too much work for the gain and it is a gian in weight. In essence it's counter productive.
See ya,
JeffG/DiamondDust RC
Old 12-08-2002, 07:03 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default diamond dust

Jeff, I sent an Email to the DD site last week asking about the Clipped wing DD. I was told it is only available as and ARF. That was an immediate turn off for me and will probably go with a regular kit. Will you be producing this as a kit soon?
Old 12-09-2002, 02:21 AM
FlooredCOBRA

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default diamond dust

I actually thought about putting some foam in side the ribs then sheeting it. Then covering it afterward. I can imagine at the speeds these things go the covering probably ripples like a rock dropping in a pond. Then again hard to tell since noway we can see this at WOT.

So maybe the sheeted foam idea may be an advantage. Who knows. Guess I will have to try it out to find out.