Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum Success!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2002, 01:10 AM
[email protected]

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Magnum Success!!

Today was a success, 4more flights 20MPH,winds. FROZEN finger fun fly, Very IMPRESSIVE model, this MAGNUM. Pipe sounded good today, NO radar gun, but It made my eyes water, knees knock, I was glad the tank only lasts 4.5 min. IT needs some kind of skid plate on it,even in snow it will scratch the fuse. and wing tips. hope all of you get the same results. :
Old 12-09-2002, 03:30 AM
flybike

Default Magnum Success!!

Nice to hear of success. I am ready to fly mine for the first time. Lake Superior is frozen and we have about a foot of snow, it is 3 degrees F. What would you recommend for a skid plate, and how did you launch it? Thanks, Hans
Old 12-09-2002, 02:25 PM
[email protected]

Default Magnum Success!!

Hans, Good day to you! Now about the skid plate, I would suggest a 1/8th + 5 in. on fuse ,make it 1/2 in wide, on wing tips about 3 in. in make another stringer, down the center of wing, do the same! this should protect underside. On Launch make sure MOTOR, is running good , launch model at about a 30* angle, there is enough power, When in flight, the model gets difficult to see when it is going directly away from you or coming toward yourself, Make sure you have hi rates, ready to turn on when you are landing, It flys like a brick when the engine is off! Howard
Old 12-10-2002, 04:29 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Another choice

I use a protective film on th bottom of mine made by Associated for the bottom of R/C cars, works great...
Old 12-10-2002, 09:55 PM
[email protected]

Default Magnum Success!!

Ice chunks, make mean dents, It sounds like a good idea, How many mm thick is film? Got another flight in today 40* no wind. Blue skies, was able to see it better. I also put an 1in Fluorescent orange strip on the leading edge of the wing it helped. Was able to see it on approach much better. Howard
Old 12-10-2002, 10:05 PM
evan-RCU

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Magnum Success!!

I would guess about 1mm or just a tad more, its soft and bendable and the self stick backing REALLY sticks...
Old 12-11-2002, 02:52 PM
Lee Cox

Default Magnum.

Just to add my comments,
I have had a Magnum for about a year, it is a real fun plane that can get those knee's knocking...........
My advice on the skid pan, is to use some litho plate, thin alluminium sheet, only 1-2 mm thick, and epoxy it on the belly, u will need to remove the film first to get a good bond.
the worst part for damage is between the prop and leading edge of the wings,this always get a rough ride,here I used a bit of fibreglass and resin, laying a Magnum decal in the resin during the bonding.
The leading edge of the wings show some knocks after a while so I am about to glass 1/2" around the L/E of the wings.
For a pleasure flight use a APC 9X6 for some adrenalin try a 8x8

Cheers
Lee (Dubai)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	40436_10442.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	24901  
Old 12-11-2002, 02:55 PM
Lee Cox

Default Magnum Success!!

Bye the way...
As far as the weather goes......
It's the Middle of winter in the photo posted above!!!!!!!!Ha
Old 12-11-2002, 11:08 PM
flybike

Default Magnum Success!!

What glow plugs do you use for the engine that comes with the magnum? I just burned up two, so I will have to wait before my first flight. I am using 15 percent fuel and the outside temperature was about 20 degrees F. Haven't had the first flight yet. Hans
Old 12-12-2002, 02:38 AM
Lee Cox

Default Magnum Success!!

I have tried alsorts, but due to poor availability I am now stickingwith O.S no8..as good as any for this medium power engine.
If u keep loosing plugs make sure the pipe is set right and u are not too lean.
Lee
Old 12-29-2002, 11:50 AM
RampRat

Default Magnum Success!!

I'm using OS A5-plugs on my West 50, and i havent had to replace one yet...

...and since winter was brought up:

...and it still keeps on comming! We get 10-20 millimeters pr. hour here now, and have been for the last few days...