Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Q500 question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2006, 03:53 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Q500 question

Hi folks,

Does anyone know - I have a West .50 w pipe, and am wondering about putting it on a Q500 airframe for sport once I retire my MagnumR airframe - the engine is fresh and runs like a bat. Is there an orientation of the engine that works on a typical high-wing quickie? I considered 135 degress CCW from vertical, to put the pipe under the fuselage but am wondering if the pipe will drag on the ground with proper Q500 landing gear?

Thx,

MJD
Old 06-06-2006, 09:07 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Q500 question

ORIGINAL: MJD

Hi folks,

Does anyone know - I have a West .50 w pipe, and am wondering about putting it on a Q500 airframe for sport once I retire my MagnumR airframe - the engine is fresh and runs like a bat. Is there an orientation of the engine that works on a typical high-wing quickie? I considered 135 degress CCW from vertical, to put the pipe under the fuselage but am wondering if the pipe will drag on the ground with proper Q500 landing gear?

Thx,

MJD
Yeah, mount it cylinder down 120-135 deg, pipe under the belly center line. No chance of hitting the landing gear that way. Mounting at 90 deg, it is going to hit the gear. The SEMPRA planes I flew 15 years ago with the pipes were set up this way.

You should have enough clearance. If not, its just a sport plane. Get some slightly longer main gear, or build up a plywood sub-fin-tail-skid that is about 1.25" tall [sm=sunsmiley.gif]

One other option - swap to a jett-stream SS type or ultrathrust muffler. Problem goes away. Engine will run great.
Old 06-06-2006, 12:08 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Q500 question

ORIGINAL: bob27s

Yeah, mount it cylinder down 120-135 deg, pipe under the belly center line. No chance of hitting the landing gear that way. Mounting at 90 deg, it is going to hit the gear. The SEMPRA planes I flew 15 years ago with the pipes were set up this way.

You should have enough clearance. If not, its just a sport plane. Get some slightly longer main gear, or build up a plywood sub-fin-tail-skid that is about 1.25" tall [sm=sunsmiley.gif]

One other option - swap to a jett-stream SS type or ultrathrust muffler. Problem goes away. Engine will run great.
How did I know you'd be the guy to answer this?

Good, I thought it would be okay. I was a little disappointed at the durability of the Magnum fuselage this weekend; had a fairly normal landing, flaring into 6-8" long grass. I think the prop was not horizontal, because it tipped a bit and must have caught one wingtip first. It did not flip or cartwheel, but it did stop very abruptly although upright. A decent fuselage should have been fine, but the rear wingmount was tore up, and the fuselage side sheeting popped out of all the (weak and brittle) CA joints on one side, from the tank compartment to the rear servo compartment. Grrrr. Wing is fine at least. I get the feeling the life span of this aircraft will be very limited. Man, it glides like a flamed-out F-4.. and I have the CG rearwards. Small flying fields need not apply. But it is pretty fast at least.

Thx

MJD