Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

.15 Little Toni

Old 03-19-2006, 12:31 PM
Grodus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default .15 Little Toni

Hi All,
Just joined the forum, this is my first post. I didnt realize there was such a place for rc speed freaks and I am happy to be here. I had gotten away from glow airplanes the past few years because i had lossed access to a place to fly anything other than hand-launched electrics, but that just doesnt do it for me. I have a place to fly and I'm looking forward to dusting off the Toni, DC Dodgger, and Patriot.
I have a QM Little Toni that was given to me , still in the box, 8-10 yrs ago. It was paired un-used Cox .15 Conquest that was part of the free package. I didnt use the .15 but instead opted to go with an OS 32 with a tuned pipe. The airplane flys like a dream and is very easy to handle. I havent flown it in several yrs and I thought it was very fast but I've not been exposed to the types of racing airplanes most of you have, here in rural Arkansas. I can only reference a .10 Shike with a 32 and a Q-500 with a YS 45 and Prather pipe. Neither of these airplanes even comes close to the Toni. I am looking for engine suggestions for more speed out of the Toni. I understand there is a Jett .35. Would that kick it up a bit? I'm so far behind in the speed zone now, I'm trying to catch up on things like, DD, Magnum, Alley cat, Weston, ect.

Thanks in advance,
Grodus
Old 03-19-2006, 09:04 PM
huey-pilot
My Feedback: (17)

Default RE: .15 Little Toni

Before you purchase the Jett .35 check the Jett web site or call and see if this is the engine you want, a lot of the Jett engines are machined from the same basic casting and you may find out that you can purchase the .40 for the same price and it may weigh less. I called Dub Jett about a Jett FIRE .50 and I found out that I could purchase a .60 that weighed the same for a few dollars more. The weight for the .25 through .40 engines is nearly the same. Most of the Jett engines are available with either a side exhaust or rear exhaust and you can have the factory provide a pipe that is tuned for your engine.
Old 03-20-2006, 10:23 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

There are are a handful of older QM15 planes I know of flying with Jett .30,.35 power that I know of. Seems to work out rather well.

One in particular was a FIRE .35, and the owner installed a straight QM15 style exhaust extractor on it. I dont have a photo - must be loud as all get-out !! But I guess he was happy with it

Of note, the Jett BSE small block engines have the same footprint and mounting holes as an OS.32

Bob
Old 03-20-2006, 01:14 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Grodus:
Get on the original site and see if you can join the "Brothrhood". Great bunch of guys here with no exception that I have run into. Jett BSE 35. You are talking my favorite engine of all time, all time being since 1948 or 9, so a while. Wonderfull engine, easy startilng, reliable idle, great transition all packaged into a little powerhouse that will turn 19K pulling a 8 pitch prop. Have raced this motor in a home brew Q-500 cut down wing to 40" going into this third season, never beaten in our 3 race daily club racilng! Just simply love this little bomb! Sticking a 40 in your 15 based model is asking for a lot of problems as to flying character I think. I think the Jett 35 is as far as this size of engine frame has gone. The "Sports Jett" 35 engine is not their all out racilng engine. Your best bet is to call Jett engineering and discuss their best engine recommendations for your plane appliction. Follow their recommendations and you will not go wrong. I have 3, a 35, 50 and 91 SJ type. All are simply wonderfull! The 91 not designed for racing still pulls one heck of a prop over 14K, in my Alley Cat is a great fun and fast package.
Old 03-21-2006, 07:33 PM
Grodus

I have heard nothing but good things about the Jett engines from you all. I about convinced that I need to try one. I have always been happy with the OS particulaly the 32 and the VF 46.
Thanks for you input. Great Forum and tons of info.

Grodus