Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Best Prop for Cox .049

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Best Prop for Cox .049

Old 12-25-2002, 01:14 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Prop for Cox .049

This February our club does an annual Tether Contest (gives us something to do in the winter months).
What we do is build a plane with a minimum 12 inch wing span that we tether to a stationary pole that has a magnetic counter on it.
Our goal is to see how many laps we can turn with a standard size fuel tank on a stock Cox .049 engine.
My question: What would be the best prop mfg and size/pitch for this type of event?
We have been using mostly 6/3 size props>
Thanks
RORO
Old 12-27-2002, 04:52 AM
Dave Campbell

Try APC's website. They have a bunch of really good props for 1/2A's. The 4.5-4 might suit you guys well-do you only get to run Cox's? A norvel would really speed things up for you, even a slower variant.

Dave
Old 12-27-2002, 02:07 PM
ROGER RUSSELL
My Feedback: (12)

Default Hard to change??

This is something that our club has done for over twenty years and I tried to get some of the members to change to Norvells a few years ago but they did not seem interested!!??
Thanks for the reply.
RORO
Old 12-27-2002, 05:17 PM
phuffstatler
My Feedback: (20)

I like the Master Airscrew 5.5x4.5 (I think) plastic props. Be sure to sand down the edges (sharp!) and balance them well. You can even cut them down a bit (we've gone as little as 4.5x4 for Norvel racing) and they are almost unbreakable...

APC's are nice, too.

phil in austin