Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Diamond Dust Modified

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Diamond Dust Modified

Old 03-23-2006, 12:23 AM
WD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diamond Dust Modified

Here are some pictures of a Diamond Dust that I am building. I plan on covering it in the next few days. It is powered by a Jett .50 FIRE with a full pipe, Tettra 8.5 oz. bladder fuel tank, Hitec HS-5645 servos for the elevons and a Hitec HS-225 servo for the throttle.

I made access covers out of 1/16" ply for the receiver/battery, servos/switch, and throttle servo areas. The sheeting between the fins has been reinforced on the top and bottom with ply to prevent crushing when hand launching. I also added some balsa with 1/2" cap strips between the ribs and along side the spars to provide more surface area for the covering to adhere. A 1" wide roll of Coverite is supplied with the kit for this, but I just thought the balsa would be better.....we'll see. The engine mount has been laminated top and bottom with carbon fiber cloth.

I will post some additional pictures after the covering is applied.

Bill
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77166.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	431282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11498.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	431283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg93945.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	431284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86720.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	47.9 KB
ID:	431285   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67986.jpg
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	431286   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lq37572.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	431287   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj24238.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	431288   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47006.jpg
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	431289  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84724.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	431290   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx73709.jpg
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	431291   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd80937.jpg
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	431292  
Old 03-23-2006, 01:34 AM
Kostas1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Diamond Dust Modified

Great job so far.
Can i ask you a question?
Can you add tricycle gear on it?
Because i like this plane but my field has a runway without grass,to land it.[]
Old 03-23-2006, 07:55 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Nice photos, I'm going to use them as reference on mine
Old 03-23-2006, 10:39 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Bill,

Looks great so far. Nice post and photos.

One suggestion - consider making the trailing edge a fixed piece between the fins. Makes holding it for launch a great deal easier. Just trim the inboard end of ailerons of an inch or so, and make that a fixed surface inbetween.

FlyboyDave should consider making this one a sticky when complete Will provide a good dust-reference for others, as Cyclic noted.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:42 PM
HaveBlue

hey what great timing to post this thread..I'm starting my dust this saturday while I'm waiting on new plans to arrive before building the Hornet.
this is a big help especially with such an array of photos and BTW your dust is looking fantastic[sm=thumbup.gif]

I can imagine it will really haul with the Jett .50...I'm still deciding between my Jett .46 or whether to run my Irvine 40 fire /with CF pipe only thing with the Irvine is,it's going to run a small prop ..7 X 10

anyway thanks for posting this thread..now I cant wait to get started, and I hope you will post some more photos when she is all done!
Old 03-23-2006, 03:41 PM
Cyclic Hardover

What are those leading edges made out of? Just asking for "covering purposes."
Old 03-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: Cyclic Hardover

What are those leading edges made out of? Just asking for "covering purposes."
Fiberglass leading edge and carbon fiber spars. I over lapped the covering and it stuck to itself fine with any seams facing to the rear.
Old 03-23-2006, 06:57 PM
WD

Bob,

I had already considered making the trailing edge fixed between the fins. As a matter of fact I have a piece cut just for that purpose, but I have about decided that the center piece of wood will not support the weight of the plane when gripping in this location without breaking off. The plane is really nose heavy gripped in this manner. I thought landing could also be a problem with this modification in that the elevons would be in a high up position and the fixed piece would be the first part of the plane to touch the ground thus being more likely to break off. The fixed piece is to long to be able to just cup your hand around it and grip the center section of the plane. I was thinking about just removing some of the inboard part of the elevons so I can just grip the center section between the fins. This area of the plane is really strong where I reinforced it with ply. This would leave about a 4" gap between the elevons. What is your thoughts on this? Do you think the 4" gap between the elevons would be a problem?

Bill
Old 03-24-2006, 12:30 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: WD

Bob,

I was thinking about just removing some of the inboard part of the elevons so I can just grip the center section between the fins. This area of the plane is really strong where I reinforced it with ply. This would leave about a 4" gap between the elevons. What is your thoughts on this? Do you think the 4" gap between the elevons would be a problem?

Bill
That's what I did... works just fine...
Old 03-24-2006, 12:34 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

yeah, that should work fine too.

the fixed TE has been done a few times by folks. Not an original idea on my end. Im not sure if they glassed it or whatever, but they turned it into a handle of sorts
Old 03-24-2006, 01:50 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Sounds like its a more stable way of launching it. Ones that I see, the pilot holds it down on the ground by his leg, winds it up and then flips it out like a frisbee.
Old 03-31-2006, 06:31 PM
Kickin Chicken

[color=#0000FF]Hi Bill,

Thought I should post a note to Thank You, for posting your thread on the Diamond Dust, believe it or not I just started to build another DD Tuesday that I picked up this week end at Mac Hodges.
I have built a few DD's but haven't had one in the last couple years been flying OutLaws and such.
I really like the idea how you added to the spars so you have more surfaces to adhere the Ultrcote to, I have always freaked out when I hear the boomimg sound, I have lost a few delta's that just exploded in midair, funny for the club members but scare the cr-- out of me every time.[:'(]
I called Dud Jett yesterday and ordered a Jett Fire 50 with all the trimming, tuned pipe,header, spinner and props, funny how seeing your setup -[sm=thumbup.gif]-- fired me up big time, so Thanks Again.
By chance do you ever go to the Henderson Fly In in the Fall, I have been coming up, the last few years with Mac Hodges/Dan Stevens and crew with our B-29.
Charlie

[/color

Ps: Here is a few Outlaw's, all running Webra"s

Name:	Xu62747.jpg
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	436706   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dz80576.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	116.7 KB
ID:	436707   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17388.jpg
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	436708  
Old 03-31-2006, 10:06 PM
WD

Charlie,

I'm not sure about the "spar ribs", I've never seen this done before but I think they will help with the covering. As for the flying part.......we'll see. I got the covering on this past Saturday, but I don't have any trim covering on yet. I've been busy watching my daughter play fast pitch softball every night this week and plan on taking my son turkey hunting this Saturday and Sunday. I hope to get some time next week to work on the Diamond Dust. I need to get this project done and the work bench cleaned off. I have a Cermark F-16 with a Jett 90LX to build. I will post some more pictures soon.

As for the Henderson Fly-In, I haven't ever been. I would be interested in going if I don't have a scheduling conflict. Do you have any info on this fly-In? Also do you have any pictures of the
B-29?

I don't know if you are interested in full scale airplanes or not, but the B-29 FiFi is suppose to be at Oshkosh this year. If you like airplanes and have never been to the Oshkosh airshow, you don't have any idea what you are missing.....you need to go, it is absolutely fantastic!
Old 04-03-2006, 01:53 PM
Kickin Chicken

Hi Bill,

I attended a flyin at Mac Hodges this week end, talked to the gang from Henderson but forgot to ask them about their fall flyin, I know this year will their 18th annual. Here is their web site: www.geocities.com/cmwvp/index.html

I have hundreds of pictures of the B-29 since I did a build page on our web site when we were building, also being our club web master/owner, our web site has some pictures on page 7. our web site: www.geocities.com/clubamac222

Full scale hasn't ever interested me but love the Warbirds, in fact most of the Henderson gang are leaving today to go "Fun and Sun" in Lakeland, plus staying on over and we all are linking back up for Top Gun.

Charlie

Name:	Zw69489.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	438282   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39463.jpg
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	438283   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mr40115.jpg
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	438284   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52018.jpg
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	438285  
Old 04-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Kickin Chicken

Hi Bill,

What's the latest on your Dust, maiden flight yet?

Did your Dust come out tail or nose heavy?

Been covering another Outlaw, until the trim solvent got to me, I had to stop, the room started to spin, lost another to "How Low Can You Go" contest this past week end, but I did Win, lucky is wasn't a total lost.

Stop working on my Dust until I get my Jett 50 engine and stuff, I added a 3" tab to launch by, I reinforced top and bottom with carbon fiber to help from breaking off.

Charlie

Name:	Ay75875.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	445453   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx76350.jpg
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	445454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ej12899.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	445455  
Old 04-20-2006, 07:39 AM
GregG
My Feedback: (2)

One question, what are the black looped parts in the center of the airframe? They look like a couple of nyrods, but for the life of me I can't see why they would be used. It looks like the control rods should go straight back from each servo to the elevon.

Thanks in advance,
Greg
Old 04-20-2006, 08:21 AM
ckoerner
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: GregG

One question, what are the black looped parts in the center of the airframe?
Antenna tube!
Old 05-02-2006, 02:26 PM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where did ya ge thte tettra tank?

rich

Have any pics of it done?

I am building one NOW

Old 05-02-2006, 04:05 PM
WD

I purchased the Tettra tank from Central Hobbies.
Old 05-02-2006, 04:08 PM
WD

I have not been working on the Diamond Dust lately. Just got started back on it this week. I should have it done in a few days. I will post some additional pictures soon.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:19 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Here's a decent question. Is most of the kit usuable or is some of the wood-crap and need to be changed out.
Old 05-08-2006, 07:27 PM
WD

I found all of the wood to be good quality and very usable. I didn't use it all because of the modifications I made.
Old 05-09-2006, 04:02 AM
HaveBlue

the quality is alright..I just wish that all the ribs were the right length. I sort of got stalled when I came to the trailing edge . unfortunately I have somewhat lost interest in completeing it for now. the trailing edge stock 3/8' balsa is also slightly warped but nothing to difficult .

Hopefully I'll find some new inspiration to complete it, plus I got to find a way of making a cowl to enclose the engine and pipe ..since I've never done anything even as simple as a cowl it will be interesting as a first time project

my list of mods are
1) slightly clipped wing
2) enclosed engine & pipe
3) I'm moving the fins out board and canting them inwards
4) either 1.5 mm sheeting or 1mm and glassed( but I dont want to add to much weight so still debating the worth of glassing it)

I think that should do it for my first dust

....now where did I leave that inspiration lying around???
Old 05-09-2006, 10:43 AM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks SOOOOOOOO nice, couple of questions. Where is the antenna going to exit and where the cap strips meet with the carbon rods what is the white stuff on the joints.

thanks

rich

MINE is SOON to be finished !
Old 05-09-2006, 07:20 PM
WD

The antenna does not exit the plane. It goes in the black circular tube. The white stuff is 5 minute epoxy mixed with micro balloons used as a filler to transition to the leading edge. I rubbed this area with a cloth saturated with denatured alcohol just as the epoxy was starting to firm up to make a really smooth joint for the Ultracote to adhere.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.