Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Weston Magnum build help

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Weston Magnum build help

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2006, 05:11 PM
leetony
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weston Magnum build help

Hi, just got a unassembled Magnum combo kit. In the instruction, it mention about the throttle strengthening plate, D25. I didn't find it in the kit, is it necessary? What is it?
Thanks,
Tony
Old 03-27-2006, 06:05 PM
mpriestley
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Weston Magnum build help

Hi there,

Congrats on one of the fastest planes out there. so fun...

I no longer have my Magnum but I did not remember any re-enforcement for the throttle but I would suggest that you just make sure that the servo will not break away and that the assembly is solid.

I have a question, do you know if you have the new Magnum R? is there a checkered bottom?

I am trying to get a new one.

thank you for you help and have fun with that thing.

hint: no more than 3/4 throttle on take off ( hand launch ) keep you from torque rolling.

mike,
Old 03-27-2006, 10:00 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it will be some time before WestonUSA gets the R version, I waited over a year and GAVE UP!
I guess they have a ton of them.

If you REALLLY want one and willing to spend big bux
buy one from Weston UK and have it shipped from England.
http://www.westonuk.co.uk/
Old 03-27-2006, 11:19 PM
leetony
My Feedback: (2)

I don't think I have the R versoin. Are the included CA hinges strong enough? Should I seal the control surfaces?
Thanks,
Tony
Old 03-27-2006, 11:54 PM
rconabudget

Tony,

The CA hinges are plenty strong enough. Make sure that you use THIN cA and at least 6 drops per side of each hinge.. I drill a small hole (1mm or less) in the middle of the hinge slot (from trailing edge of wing forward and from leading edge of control surface back) to help with the wicking. Make sure that you have the gaps as small as possible and it should not be necessary to seal the gaps.

Regards
Kerry
Old 03-28-2006, 09:36 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My R version had no part D25 and didn't mention any throttle strengthening plate either. If you got yours from WestonUSA it is most probably the first versiosn. One thing I did notice is those diagonal webs are incredibly weak and IMHO do just about squat to strengthen that area of the fuselage in terms of compression. I added two 1/2" wide strips of 1/16" aircraft ply on either side of the throttle servo mount and spanning the width of the fuselage. Whether I needed to or not is up to the jury but it didn't hurt.

Don't feel guilty for thinking the control horns are crap and wanting to replace them, either.

MJD