Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

magnum prop question

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

magnum prop question

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2006, 05:44 PM
bs4219rc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default magnum prop question

Hello, i just finished putting my magnum together. I have an os .46 ax with a stock muffler. can you please suggest the best prop to get the fastest speed with my setup. thanks! I have two flights in already. The plane hand launched with ease and required no trim. At a moderate speed it flies great but when I go full throttle it begins to climb. You think the cg might be off?
Old 04-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: magnum prop question

If it climbs at full throttle, it is out of trim. I seem to remember mine also needed a little down trim. I never bothered to check the incidences... maybe the H-stab slot is a little off mark...? It doesn't take much at 160 mph...

What kind of prop are you using now? You will probably see the most speed from either an 8x10 or a cut down high pitch Q500 prop. An APC 9x6 is a good starting point, but not the optimum for all out speed.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:40 AM
bs4219rc

Thanks for the reply. Right now I'm running a 10x8 prop. Ill pick up the props that you recommended as soon as i can get to the hobby store. I'm going to use a radar gun this upcoming wednesday or thursday to see how fast it's going.
Old 04-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

10x8 is too much prop... you are lugging the engine down.

You should try get the engine to do at least 16000 rpm, that will make it come alive.
Old 04-10-2006, 08:46 AM
bs4219rc

Thanks for the great info! I cant wait to see how it performs with the new prop.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:41 AM
jaka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hello!
The OS .46 AX is no that great when it comes to speed/high rpm but is a good average sport engine.
I would try a 9x7 APC.

Regards!
Jan K
Sweden
Old 04-14-2006, 05:27 AM
bs4219rc

Thanks for the info. I tried the 9x6 apc and clocked it at 119 before almost crashing. i was coming in over runway straight and level when it banked to the right and down. i applied up and left on the stick and didnt seem to help. i backed off throttle and pulled up and managed to get it under control. It then did the same exct thing except i was going in the other direction and had more altitude. It happened over the same area of the field. A friend to;d me that allot of flyers have had the same propblem flying in that area. He said it may have to do with an electric cattle fence or a big antenna that is to the west of our field.