Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

DDust Tank Mounting

Old 04-01-2006, 07:36 PM
Rflyin
My Feedback: (6)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default DDust Tank Mounting

Hello,
I'm almost done with my first Dust and like to know the best way to secure the tank.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 04-02-2006, 12:51 AM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DDust Tank Mounting

I have seen velcro and rubber bands used. My second Dust pictured used 1/64 ply and covering to hold it in. My first one used just covering. Use foam on the bottom and sides of the tank.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv64800.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	437391  
Old 04-02-2006, 02:00 AM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: DDust Tank Mounting

On my second Dust I just drilled two holes into the ribs next to the tank bay area, and I made a couple of hooks out of piano wire to secure the tank with rubber bands. A piece of latex foam under the tank and a couple of household rubber bands to keep things in place. It worked and it was cheap!
On my first one I just used contact cement between the tank and a piece of 1/2" latex foam, and between the latex foam and the bottom of the tank bay area.
Both methods proved to be OK, but the contact cement thing was easier to do.... drilling holes into a 1/8" rib that you can't see can be rather difficult.

In either case, I never had fuel foaming problems... so I must have done something right.

The next one I build will just have its tank glued in with contact cement. Easy and fast!

But I have to add that both of my Dusts die rather fast... so I can't comment on the life expectancy of my tank mounting solutions The first one with the contact cement still had the tank in place after it crashed (it was just a cartwheel on takeoff), but the second one with the rubber bands lost its tank when going into the ground at about 150 mph. At that speed I was more worried about my Jett as my tank! Digging the gleeming piece of aluminium out of the ground was kinda exiting...