Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

MagnumR Maiden Advice

Old 04-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Glorfindel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default MagnumR Maiden Advice

Hi guys,

I finaly received my MagnumR and i finished it yesterday. Here is my set-up :

The engine is the Jett Q500. Fot yhe fist few flights i will put an APC 9x6 on it with the red carb. I dont know how many rpm i will get with 15% fuel, i'm guessing more than 20000rpm. After some flight i will go back to the real q500 carb and an APC 8.75x9w. I've got 2 Jr 811 sport digi on ail. and elev. and 1 Hitec HS-85 on throttle. I'm using a LiPo 7.4v 800mah with a 6v regulator. I wanted to keep it as light as possible and it came at exactly 64oz. (4lbs or 1.81Kg.) dry with the batt pack right beside the servos elevator. Did you guys weight your plane???

For the building part. It was ok. But there is some things that i didnt like. First of all the Vertical fin is not straight and one stab is 1/4 of an inch lower than the other half. So the block that set the angle is probably not symetric or not glued correctly. I found dumb the fact they put a pre-drilled engine mount. My mounting pattern on my Q500 didnt fit the West engine one. Why do they drill it???

I'm open to any advice for the fist flight!!

Thx,

Claude Perron
Old 04-03-2006, 02:35 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: MagnumR Maiden Advice

ORIGINAL: Glorfindel

Hi guys,

I finaly received my MagnumR and i finished it yesterday. Here is my set-up :

The engine is the Jett Q500. Fot yhe fist few flights i will put an APC 9x6 on it with the red carb. I dont know how many rpm i will get with 15% fuel, i'm guessing more than 20000rpm. After some flight i will go back to the real q500 carb and an APC 8.75x9w. I've got 2 Jr 811 sport digi on ail. and elev. and 1 Hitec HS-85 on throttle. I'm using a LiPo 7.4v 800mah with a 6v regulator. I wanted to keep it as light as possible and it came at exactly 64oz. (4lbs or 1.81Kg.) dry with the batt pack right beside the servos elevator. Did you guys weight your plane???

For the building part. It was ok. But there is some things that i didnt like. First of all the Vertical fin is not straight and one stab is 1/4 of an inch lower than the other half. So the block that set the angle is probably not symetric or not glued correctly. I found dumb the fact they put a pre-drilled engine mount. My mounting pattern on my Q500 didnt fit the West engine one. Why do they drill it???

Thx,

Claude Perron
I would seriously avoid using a stock APC 9x6 C-2 on the Q500 engine. Even for break-in, don't do it.

If you have access to a 8.8x8.5 or any of the other D-1 series props, use one of those.

If in need of a break-in type prop, use the 9W and clip a 3/8" off each blade. Balance it. You can use that for the first flights as well.

Make sure the break-in is done on the bench. By the time you are done with that, you can run the 9W anyway (even with the red carb - you are only going to lose a few hundred rpm on the ground).

Of note, the SJ-50 i believe will fit in the engine mount. The Q-500 engine has (or had .. may have changed) different mounting holes. The SJ engines have OS46 compatible mounting holes (which I think are the same as webra/west)
Old 04-03-2006, 02:45 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Tilt the plane at about 30 degrees to the right when you hand launch it.
It WILL torque back to the left as soon as you let it go.

FBD.
Old 04-03-2006, 03:03 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: bob27s

Thx,
Claude Perron
Of note, the SJ-50 i believe will fit in the engine mount. The Q-500 engine has (or had .. may have changed) different mounting holes. The SJ engines have OS46 compatible mounting holes (which I think are the same as webra/west)
The SJ-50 does fit the mount. Some whittling at the cowl is necessary here and there, but minor. Bit of a squeeze getting the fuel and vent lines through and routed around without pinching them.

First flight advice? Avoid moving the CG to the forward end of the range like you might with other sport aircraft. The rear of the suggested range is still "forward" and you'll only end up landing hotter with the forward positions, and perhaps having to grab a pile of backstick with a weak launch and/or a higher pitch prop with less static thrust. Many are flown with much more rearward CG's than those recommended.

Don't be too scared of the aircraft, it flies smoothly enough if you set it up right before flying. The glide is fast and you cannot extend the glide too long, it needs airspeed. Don't forget the throttle! And make sure the person you have launching knows what they are doing - 20-30 degrees up, tilted to the right a bit to anticipate the torque reaction, and a good fast, straight push.

Best of luck!

MJD

Old 04-03-2006, 03:11 PM
Glorfindel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi again,

Bob, Why i cant use a 9x6?? Is it 'cause i will go beyond the max rpm of the prop, or 'cause it will load the engine too munch?? I think i read that the max rpm for the 'normal' 9x6 is about 22k, so if i got it on the ground at 20-21k i will just throttle back in the air. I always use pylon prop, but for the fist fly of a hand lauched kind of heavy plane, i want better static trust. Pylon prop dont give good static trust. But if it too unsafe, i will simply use the 8.75x9w (the screamer )
Old 04-04-2006, 10:51 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Two reasons actually......

1) you want the ground rpm on the Q500 engine to peak between 19,500 and 20,000, and launch it around 500-800 down from peak. The 9x6 will sorta be running-on-the-governor from the beginning. Not much load there.

2) yes, i have concerns over the 9x6 structure wise. I have no quams turning one at 17,000 - 18,000 or so. If you are seeing 20K peak rpm on the ground, the engine is going to unload up approaching 22K rpm in the air.

In the end, its up to you. That first launch is important.

Be careful.

If you happen to have any of the "older" style D-1 props, like the 9.25x7 or similar, perhaps try that.
Old 04-04-2006, 05:19 PM
erikpmort
My Feedback: (52)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

yeah thats good advice (launch airplane turning right a little bit) I didn't really throw mine though, i just gave a little under hand toss, and actually launched it almost vertical.... no problems with that, just looks like a rocket slowly launch off.

landing: let it drop, and then when you're 3 ft off the ground level off ( let all the airpspeed bleed out) and start to give up ele until you're out....

fun scary plane. the bigger the landing space you have, less fear of landing.

make sure your prop stops horz. where the compression stops...
Old 04-11-2006, 10:14 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi, I am flying the Magnum with the Jett .50, using the Super Sport muffler and APC 8.75 x 9W pylon prop. I am quite
pleased with the speed, but was wondering if the Jett .40 Q500 (same or other pylon prop) would be even faster? Just
wondering if the engine timing and shorter tuned muffler on the Q500 would more than make up for the displacement
advantage of the .50 or not on this plane. I don't guess a Jett Q40 would be faster on the Magnum, probably too much
drag, and no way to match the prop to the plane, since the Q40 needs to turn so high.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:12 AM
Glorfindel

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi,

You know i kind of asked this question a couple of time without realy get an answer. So Bob27s Is the MagnumR will be faster with the Jett Q500 engine or with the Jett .50 F.I.R.E. engine??? Wich one will swing the 8.75x9W at highest rpm??

thx a lot!!!

P.S. i'm making a stearingable dolly for my magnum, i've got an old receiver that i didnt trust anymore
Old 04-12-2006, 11:35 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Electric Delta

Hi, I am flying the Magnum with the Jett .50, using the Super Sport muffler and APC 8.75 x 9W pylon prop. I am quite
pleased with the speed, but was wondering if the Jett .40 Q500 (same or other pylon prop) would be even faster? Just
wondering if the engine timing and shorter tuned muffler on the Q500 would more than make up for the displacement
advantage of the .50 or not on this plane. I don't guess a Jett Q40 would be faster on the Magnum, probably too much
drag, and no way to match the prop to the plane, since the Q40 needs to turn so high.
The SJ-50 with the SS muffler is almost the same power output as the Q500 engine. With the actual Q500 black muffler on it, the tuning range is exactly the same - turns a 9W just fine. So a trade in that respect is probably not worth while.

If you want performance a bit above your current setup, the next step would be a SJ-60LX. This engine has shown to turn the 8.8x9 Q-500 prop as well as, and often better than, the Q-500 engine. And it still idles and throttles great. Prop it to run between 18,000 and 20,000 on the ground, and just hang on
Old 04-12-2006, 11:39 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Glorfindel

Hi,

You know i kind of asked this question a couple of time without realy get an answer. So Bob27s Is the MagnumR will be faster with the Jett Q500 engine or with the Jett .50 F.I.R.E. engine??? Wich one will swing the 8.75x9W at highest rpm??

thx a lot!!!

P.S. i'm making a stearingable dolly for my magnum, i've got an old receiver that i didnt trust anymore
You will be better off with a FIRE 50. By virtue of the full pipe, and the ability to tune it for a specific prop/rpm.

But its real hard to integrate a rear exhaust engine into the magnum.

The baddest kid on the block for a conventional setup is the SJ-60LX noted above. The baseline on that engine is 18,000 rpm on a 10x6. Its got serious balls.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:47 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Is the .60 LX available as a BSE FIRE? I might be in the market for one in the near future if it is, but I don't really like the side exhaust for a true speed plane.
Old 04-12-2006, 11:53 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Lomcevak Duck

Is the .60 LX available as a BSE FIRE? I might be in the market for one in the near future if it is, but I don't really like the side exhaust for a true speed plane.
Yes, it is available as a FIRE configuration, and as a BSE.
One shown here is a cast case 60LX. Scarey power.

turning 8.8x9 D1 series APC at over 19.5K rpm (ground). Launches around 19K even.
Old 04-13-2006, 02:33 AM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I learned 3 main things with my West 50 Magnum.

1) It launches VERY easily with a 9X7 (8X10 not so easy). Plus this goes against everything I've read in the forum, but to me the plane was faster with a 9X7, than a 8X9 or a 8X10. I want to try the 8X8 as it makes my MVVS .40 Dust really haul.

2) With the aforementioned 9X7, the plane launches without drama (unlike my Dust on a hand launch ). Just have your buddy launch at a 30-45 degree angle to the horizon (no running launch, but have him give it a good shove). I had no problems with torque roll to the left and had my buddy throw it out with wings level.

3) This is the most important thing I learned. Don't flare this plane more than a few degrees on landing. It can rip off a horizontal stab if you come in at too much of an angle. My best landings were with power off and keeping the plane straight and level (zero to 5 degrees, almost no flare whatsoever).
Old 04-13-2006, 08:29 AM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have seen and launched several of these Magnums. Very impressive and they all had one thing in common. When that engine quits, It drops like a brick. I see them go 150mph downwind when the engine runs out of fuel and can't make it to the runway. So keep it in mind.
Old 04-13-2006, 11:55 AM
cobratraxxas69
My Feedback: (31)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Very true, that's why I fly at a wide open field
Old 04-15-2006, 01:47 AM
Gidusko
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I would like to know where you bought a Magnum R and for how much, I want one but the only way to get one is to order from the UK and it cost about the same to ship as the price of the plane. so if you did get one from the UK how much did it cost total to your door, thanks alot.