Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Great Planes F-14 Tomcat

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Great Planes F-14 Tomcat

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2002, 05:49 AM
FullScalePilot
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Planes F-14 Tomcat

Hi

I have been a Fixed wing and Heli pilot for just shy of 30 years. Ive always loved the looks and flight characteristics of jets. My problem is I'm a poor working stiff and cant afford a Turbine or Ducted fan Jet. I have been to damn near every Airplane manufacture looking for prop jets KITS. and what I found was, if your looking for 40 size and lower there are a few to choose from. But I don't do 40 size birds I want a minimum of 60 size and here in lies the problem.Not many of those out there. After seeing the Great Planes 60 size F-14 Tomcat I just fell in love with it only to find out is has been discontinued. So I searched for darn near 2 weeks on the net and found one NIB in a hobby store in Canada :-) and should have it Monday of next week.

I guess I should have asked you guys these questions before I bought it, but better late then never.

Does anyone know how it builds, flies, any tricks or hints etc.

I downloaded the manual from GP and it shows 1 servo for the ailerons. In a bird that big that flies that fast shouldn't there be 2 (they show 2 for the elevator)

Also I want to put Nav and landing lights on board. Can someone point me in the right direction to find info on the proper placement for these on the plane.

Thank you all so very much

Dave
Old 12-31-2002, 12:16 PM
nun45
My Feedback: (1)

first of all you'd better be a patient man! that thing is a pain to build. when it's done you will be rewarded ten times over. it flies like a dream, but not as fast as you think. there is only one servo in the wing, but two on elevators. also the retractcs that they recommend are a nightmare to set up as shown. best to use separate servos on retracts. if i think of more i will let you know. i just sold mine last month!---henry
Old 12-31-2002, 12:38 PM
leroifort

it's long, but easy to build. Just prepare yourself to convert your workshop in a balsa dust factory.The one I builded was fixed gear, os.60 on the front. I went with the recomanded radio setup using a hig power servo for ailerons and standard servos for the rest of flight controls. Don't make the STUPID mistake I made when I was performing the final assembly, It was 3 am and i wanted to have my tail group, verticals fins and elevators in place. I gluied the four pieces in places using a good amount of epoxy and went for sleep very happy and tired.....
On the morning I saw that i gluied the fins for stabilisers and the stabilisers for fins..... AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHH.
A nightmare to deglue without destroying the entire fuselage.

Good news, the bird fly great, with good low speed characteristics.
Old 01-01-2003, 01:16 AM
FlooredCOBRA

From what I remember it is supposed to fly very well at low and hight speeds.

I have seen 2 of them fly before and they looked like a lot of fun. They are an eye catcher in the air especially with the wheels tucked up. One of them had a OS 61 SF with pipe ( not sure of prop) and the other had a OS 91 FX with 12 x 10.

The 60 flew good but really did not look all that fast at top speed. It flew about like a Ugly Stick top end wise. Not saying it was slow but for the looks it needed more oompf.

Now as for the 91 it seemed to take a while to get off ground. Once in air it pulled it around okay. But at the time it was very rich since the engine was brand new. I was anxious to see it after it was broken in fully. The engine finally flamed out and he had to bring it in. The prop got broken while landing at end of field so I never got to see it fly again. That was only prop he had with him at time.

I am sure that it would have hauled around pretty good once engine broken in.
Old 01-01-2003, 02:26 AM
kram51

This mine. I've had it for years and finally built it this past year. It has an OS 61 SF and Spring Air retracts Flies very smooth and jet-like. Not a speed demon. I'd estimate about 80+ with a 11x9 APC. It does slow down nicely and is very stable in the landing mode. You'll enjoy it! BTW, I used standard BB servos throughout with one servo on the ailerons. The only thing I changed was the elevator pushrods from 2-56 to 4-40.

Enjoy!

Mark
Old 01-01-2003, 02:31 AM
kram51

Default Dunno what happened. . . .

let's try this again . . .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	44244_7161.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	27492  
Old 01-01-2003, 03:15 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are still some Direct Connection F20 Kits around. Throw a Jett. 50 in it and 120mph plus you will go!!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	44250_8393.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	27493  
Old 01-06-2003, 05:41 PM
Rubbie

Default F-14 Tomcat

FullScalePilot

I have had a F-14 for the past 2 seasons, I have a MVVS .77 with a pipe and 11x10 prop. I put Spring airs in it and they work really well. Not blazing fast but really nice and scale like. I wonder if the rudders are really necessary? I have installed them but have yet to use them!! With my set up it takes a little to get off the ground but it lands like a trainer and glides really well too. You will have a blast with this one.