Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Clocked the SA F-20!!!

Old 05-13-2006, 04:09 PM
setxws6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Clocked the SA F-20!!!

Today at the field I had the luxury to clock the Sportsman Aviation F-20 with a radar gun. Needless to say I was impressed! We had a 8-10 mph wind out of the south west, nothing too strong at all. Here are the results?:

At full throttle, with the plane level, and with the tail wind, it's fastest was 132mph.

At full throttle, with the plane in a 45 degree dive toward the ground, it clocked at 143mph!!! [X(]

So I estimate with no wind, the plane will easily go 120+mph at full throttle and level. This was done with a fairly new Thunder Tiger .46 pro, 10x6 apc, OS 8 glow plug, and a Dubb Jett muffler. And I had the engine just a little on the rich side, but without being rich, if you know what I mean. It tached around 15,000 on the ground.
Old 05-13-2006, 06:38 PM
flyingmachine
My Feedback: (9)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Clocked the SA F-20!!!

Sweet, Mine is a junrc F20 still in the build phase. It is going to have retracts and a Dubb Jett .61 LX

We shall see

RIch
Old 05-13-2006, 10:17 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I'll bet it is quite a sight to see! Now it would be interesting to see how well it does with a 9x7 APC.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:10 AM
setxws6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I tried a 9x8 apc on the older engine and I really wasn't impressed by it. My vertical went down a bit, and I like doing those big jet manuvers. A 9x7 might not be bad though.
Old 05-14-2006, 10:33 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nice report.

If think some of you have seen in the past that Ive recommended the TT46 pro and jett-stream as a 'budget minded' speed engine. You can see why.

That 15,000 on the ground is about right. You want the engine rich at launch - it needs the extra fuel once in the air and it unloads. Leaned out that should peak near 15.6K or so, so at 15,000 that is backed down 500-600 rpm - ideal. It will easily unload over 16K in the air. That is a good target for the TT46 setup like this.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:01 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I have a couple 46pros. One on a Shrike with a 9/7 apc. Didn't think the 46 could pull that plane that good. I'm impressed.
Old 05-14-2006, 08:40 PM
setxws6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The .46 pro is diffidently a good budget minded engine with good performance. And with the 10x6, it has really good vertical considering the plane probably weighs around 6 pounds. It climbs out real good. I tried a 10x8 apc, but didn't like it at all. The plane had drasticlly worse vertical and really wasn't faster. The engine also took longer to unload.

I'd like to get a Dubb Jett .46, but I'd be affraid to fry the damn thing from wrong tuning!
Old 05-14-2006, 09:16 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Set- The 10x8 is PURTY big for most 46-50 sized airplanes (YS-45 can spin it but it is a stretch)

The Jett-50 runs as reliably and easily as an OS-46 or TT Pro-46, I too was worried when I got my first Jett-50 about it being finicky or hard to tune, worried for not....

You got a tach.? If you do it is no problem, besides Bob is right here on RCU and not only is he a Jett guy he may be one of the nicer people on the planet---

Try a jett and you will NEVER go back - I have a TT Pro-46 that I love, I have a Webra-50GT on my spare Patriot, and I enjoy YS-45's and Rossi's etc. but the Jett-50 is in a league all its own. Think about it have you ever heard anyone complain about a Jett neing finicky, over-rated, or hard to tune? Didn't think so... Don't see 'em for sale much either
Old 05-16-2006, 01:17 AM
setxws6

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Razor, what kind of rpm's are you seeing off of your Jett-50?
Old 05-16-2006, 02:14 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I was getting a little over 17K on a 9x8 APC, Nelson plug (long story), and 15% PM fuel- This is a rebuilt SJ-50 so I am not sure how it stacks up against a new one... Although I am buying a brand new one soon!