Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Magnum & color schemes

Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 AM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Magnum & color schemes

I would be interested in hearing people's thoughts on high visibiltiy color schemes for speed airplanes.

I was out yesterday flying my MagnumR, in a greyish overcast sky, about 3pm. I have no color deficiencies, but am slightly near sighted and wear glasses for driving and flying. Normally I have NO problems with orientation with RC models, but I am having fits with the bloody Magnum. Years ago, I had a yellow and black sport airplane that was the worst I can remember for orientation, and I never used that color scheme again. Well, the Magnum is the only aircraft since then I've flown in yellow and black, and to me it is even worse. The black/white checkerboard on the underside turns into muddy grey at any distance, and I find myself orienting this aircraft more by memory than from visual reference. Is it just me, or does anyone else have similar problems with the stock color scheme?

After a hand launch yesterday, I was climbing out at about 30 degrees and picking up speed, then as I banked to come around I suddenly realized (a) I was a bit too far out, and (b) I had no idea which way was what! [X(] It really wasn't all that far out, but I was "excreting bricks" at this point and rocking back and forth trying to get oriented. I was also fumbling for the rate switch to get into low rate at the same time which wasn't helping [from now on I'll launch on low rates and only switch to high for landing..]. Finally, as much by luck as anything else, I ended up level and headed back to the field, but I was a hair away from killing the engine and augering it in on purpose before it got too near the village nearby. But it was not just this time, I am having these problems all the time with it.

I have a second MagnumR airframe, my original plans being to hack off the turtledeck and convert it to a rear exhaust engine with enclosed pipe. I am thinking I'll strip the covering and redo the color scheme on this one at the same time.

MJD
Old 05-15-2006, 10:40 AM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Magnum & color schemes

Around here, (My house), this is called to as 'THE PERFECT COLOR SCHEME', the wing and stab are all red on the bottom. I arrived at this color scheme after staring at sailplanes a long ways away for years, a quick look you know if it's the top or bottom, if its banked toward or away from you.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51645.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	461784  
Old 05-15-2006, 09:14 PM
Electric Delta
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hi MJD,

I bought a used Magnum off eBay, and the previous owner saw fit to re-cover it in an orange
and white Navy-like color scheme. It shows up pretty nice under the weather conditions I've
flown in so far. The only time I've had orientation problems is coming around to head back
towards myself, the thin wing (mostly white) tends to almost disappear altogether. With this
thin wing, it almost wouldn't matter what color you made it.

The worst visible airplane I ever had was a Spickler Quickie 500 with a yellow fuselage and
transparent green wing. The wing would disappear all the time on me. Needless to say, I never
used transparent green for anything again.

Electric Delta
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Us54108.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	462125  
Old 05-15-2006, 09:35 PM
ChuckL
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I don't have an R so I don't have a checkered bottom but the black and yellow on top was real bad for me, I peeled the black off and put some white blocks on the top it's not real preaty but it is easy to see.
Old 05-16-2006, 01:41 PM
MJD
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Not only would that show up better, it just plain looks better! I did slap dayglo red on either side of the fin, inset about 3/8" all round. Looks ugly but it helps somewhat. With apologies to Weston, I just think the stock color scheme is stunned. Chances are I will never be inspired enough to recover the one I'm flying now, I'll live with it (and not fly on grey overcast days) but number 2 is getting a makeup job for sure.

Thanks all.

MJD