Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Shrike 40

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 03:38 PM
TailTwister
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shrike 40

I built this really beautiful Shrike 40 a year and a half ago. It has a Rossi 53 with a Mac's tuned pipe. It came out pretty light, but as I sit here I can't remember the exact weight. I fly mainly sport aerobatics and 3D. The Shrike is to be a "Something New" break. Here come the questions:
1) What servo torque recommendations would you make? I'm using 2 servos for roll control and one for pitch.
2) What Prop? (Size and brand please) I'm in Wisconsin at about 700 to 800 above MSL.
3) I've read that the Shrike isn't as fast as many speed planes, but how fast should it be?
4) Any other tips?

Thanks in advance,

Old 12-19-2002, 03:41 PM
Mike Connor
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Shrike 40

Originally posted by TailTwister

1) What servo torque recommendations would you make? I'm using 2 servos for roll control and one for pitch.
2) What Prop? (Size and brand please) I'm in Wisconsin at about 700 to 800 above MSL.
3) I've read that the Shrike isn't as fast as many speed planes, but how fast should it be?
4) Any other tips?

1) Even with a Sport Jett 50 I used the standard JR-517 servos. One servo was used for roll control for less parasite drag. I had some aileron flutter at first but it was caused by not following all the rules to avoid flutter. It was corrected by covering the aileron gap with 1/64 ply. The standard servos worked ok but would go with a lighter and stronger servo on my next one.

2) My favorite prop on this plane is an APC 9x8. With a high static rpm this will provide plenty of thrust for launch and plenty of speed.

3) I use video to calculate speed and I find the Shrike almost as fast as my Diamond Dust when using the same engine.

4) You can see pictures and videos of my Shrike on my site listed below.