Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Little Toni O.S-91-2 stroke

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Little Toni O.S-91-2 stroke

Old 11-06-2006, 10:26 AM
masonman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Little Toni O.S-91-2 stroke

I have a lil toni i'm fixing to build, an i'm wondering what to expect. I have flown the minnow, but not landed it. It was fast but seemed a bit touchy. I was aslo wondering about cutting the ailerons an makeing part of them flaps.......An thought, good or bad would be great.Thanks
Old 11-06-2006, 12:25 PM
js3
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Little Toni O.S-91-2 stroke

That ought to be a nice combination for a sport plane. I wouldn't expect too much speed from the OS--it's an average power plant.

How much experience do you have? If not much, then this plane may seem a bit intimidating. Frankly, I wouldn't bother with flaps. If it doesn't slow down for landing you may have the CG too far forward or not enough elevator throw. Be careful adjusting both of these though! Any plane will slow down for landing if you can get the nose high enough. It can be a tightrope act flying in the envelope just above stall. Practice up high.
Old 11-06-2006, 07:28 PM
soarrich
My Feedback: (98)

I had a Miget Mustang by WM, just about the same plane. I had an Enya .80 4C, fast but no real speed demon, maybe 100mph. The ailerons where quick, but the elevator was soft, the plane landed slow without flaps and had no tip stall, just kind of mushed. A nice entry into faster planes.
Old 11-06-2006, 09:00 PM
jzinckgra
My Feedback: (11)

Should have my Toni done for this wknd. We'll see how the Evo 100 works out.
Old 11-06-2006, 11:03 PM
masonman

I soloed about 8 months ago. I was hopeing i could really prop up the os an get maybe 100 or 120 would be nice. JZ I want to now how your toni done on its first go around.......
Old 11-07-2006, 10:28 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: jzinckgra

Should have my Toni done for this wknd. We'll see how the Evo 100 works out.
Put a 12x9 on the evo
Old 11-08-2006, 01:03 PM
jzinckgra

[/quote]

Put a 12x9 on the evo
[/quote]

I am a chicken when it comes to maidens, so I think I will stick with the 13x6 for the 1st couple flights. Will fly this friday
Old 11-10-2006, 10:14 AM
hooaa
My Feedback: (1)

For my money the 4-cycle engine of choice for the Lil Toni is a YS110. I use a 13/13N and turn about 10, 500 rpm. Tomorrow I'll try a 12/14. I read in threads here that with 30% nitro and a 12/14 the speed was estimated at 115-120 mph.
Old 11-10-2006, 09:48 PM
jzinckgra

quick update- took the toni to the field today and started the Evo. I was getting some wicked vibration at full throttle, enough to knock the thumbscrews off the little pushrod connectors (cheap ARF screwlock connectors) on all servos[:@] When I lifted the plane, it sounded like a bag of nuts and bolts inside. Took the wing off and saw the pieces. The cowl screws were vibrating loose too. I heard stories about GP providing a very unbalanced spinner with this plane, but that was like 2 years ago. I'm pretty sure I got the "updated" spinner, but I decided to to take no chances and bought a True turn spinner. Also balanced the APC, which was a little unbalanced. Finally put "L" bends on the rudder, ele, and throttle pushroads. Will try again tomorrow.
Old 11-13-2006, 09:32 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Sounds like a fun day.

Id recommend flying it with just a spinner nut on the front until you get things worked out. And if you like the plane, invest in a spinner for it (DB, truturn or something)

Bob
Old 11-13-2006, 11:04 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: masonman

I have a lil toni i'm fixing to build, an i'm wondering what to expect. I have flown the minnow, but not landed it. It was fast but seemed a bit touchy. I was aslo wondering about cutting the ailerons an makeing part of them flaps.......An thought, good or bad would be great.Thanks
Don't need flaps, just talent! Seriously, I have the Midget and some other hot landing planes. Just make your approaches lower and slower which will help bleed of that airspeed.
Old 11-15-2006, 12:44 AM
Harry Lagman

JZ, I think you're onto the vibration issue now you've singled out the supplied spinner. Mine (an "uprated" one) was out of balance too so I didn't even bother with it and just bought a tru turn.

Masonman, the Toni is not too bad an aircraft to land - it needs a little bit of patience but it slows down OK if your engine has a good idle. I wouldn't bother with flaps if I were to assemble another one.

I normally throttle back to idle and let her slow down way before the final, bringing up the throttle as she approaches a stall, then just bringing her in using the throttle for altitude control. Once the plane is in that mode, it can easily be dropped into a relatively short runway.

The best thing is that the Toni is really docile at low airspeed and has no bad snapping habits.
Old 11-18-2006, 06:39 PM
myork

I've flown a Toni with an O.S. 91 4stroke with a 12/12 prop and 30% fuel and that thing was a beast. It is going to take some talent to land it. It comes in very hot and one click on the throttle will make it glide about another 200ft. We've got 800ft of pavement and it takes around 600ft to get it to stop. It does fly good though if you want to just go fast and turn left. One thing it does like crap is a knife edge. You get it on it's side and it wants to go everywhere. I've got the Shoestring with a TT .91 4 stroke and it flys alot better, but it doesn't have the speed. I would say out of the Minnow, Toni, and Shoestring the Minnow would be the best flying and the fastest. I'm going to pick a Minnow up around Christmas and get a YS 110 for it since i'm getting ready to complete a KMP Critical Mass with a YS .63FZs
Old 11-22-2006, 09:47 PM
masonman

Myork, I just got done shapeing a golf course in bowling green(old stone)well last year. Thanks for the heads up an the pro, an cons on the toni. I don't want it to be a record setting toy, just fast an a nice flying plane..........................But nothings better than a 100mph pass over the stripe. I'm still wondering weather i want a 75 or a 91 2-stroke. I might start out small an get use to it then totally change it with a 91.I use to take my trainer off on that bridge right next to the sales office there at old stone. Never got to go to a club there , just flew after work sometimes. I did find beach bend, while the drags were going on..............nice....Thanks dude
Old 11-24-2006, 01:58 PM
Fishinmagician
My Feedback: (1)

I fly a Toni with a OS 91 two stroke. It's a great flyer and does land a little hot. I tried mixing flaperons into it but that was a mistake. It did not like that. The 91 two stroke seems to be plenty of power on that plane. Good Luck.
Old 11-25-2006, 12:26 PM
masonman

Hey fish, How did the toni fly? what prop did you use? Does the 91 being heavy make it hard to slow down? Will the toni nose over pretty ez. When you tried the flaperons,an it got all crazy, was it cause it has such a short tail moment......?
Old 11-25-2006, 12:28 PM
masonman

One more thing. Did you have to cut the cowl up alot to get the two stroke in it. Are you useing a factory muffler?, an how are you going about putting fuel in it?
Old 11-25-2006, 08:33 PM
FREEBIRD

I was thinking on a Toni as well, I have a Midget and that thing on an OS .61 is surprisingly fast, and light on landing. The Shoestring also looks interesting, the Midget got me interested in these type planes, nice compact good handling planes and they do very well in wind.
Old 11-25-2006, 08:55 PM
jzinckgra

Well finallly maidened the Tni today with Evo 100. The Evo is giving me some problems, especially on low end. I thought we had it figured out, but when I landed the engine would not die, even with throttle cut. I heard about some guys finding out the carb was missing the o-ring, but mine has one. I switched the plug (heard they are crap anyways) to an OS8 and will try again tomorrow./
Flight-wise, the plane moves pretty darn fast with a 13x6APC. Am going to try a Bolle 13.75x8 tomorrow. Was going to go for the 12x9, but LHS didn't have any. Would a 14x8 APC be too much load? Since I couldn't throttle back to an acceptable idle, both landings were fairly hot, but manageable. It slows down more than I thought it would.
Old 11-25-2006, 10:05 PM
FREEBIRD

The only Evo engine I own is the .36 on the PnP Tribute, I experience the same type conditions, I thought about the 100 on my Midget for the price, but opted for the OS .61 for reliability and I'm glad. The little evo starts OK and runs, but always has a transition problem, it's not as crisp as the OS. For my buck I'll go a little lower on HP for quality, I'ver found I can make up the differemce on 30% fuel and proping ,and get the same results. YS, OS, and Saito's buy proven quality