Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

nitro slope soarer questions

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

nitro slope soarer questions

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2006, 04:42 PM
compound_goose

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nitro slope soarer questions

ive just bought a 50'' span SAS "thing" which was originally a slope soarer but has has a .42 glow fitted to it....the guy i bought it off said it was realy quick....due to the small tank size ive got about 3 min at WOT. so im thinking if i was to fit say...a .60 in it with a tuned pipe and header it would get some serious speed up.... its currently got at least a .40, possibly a .42 thunder tiger engine at the moment.

the questions i have are 1. is the plane going to disintegrate at that kind of speed? and 2. how much faster is the 60 going to make it go? lastly: on a .60 how long am i going to get on a tank of fuel?....i mean if im only gonna get 45 seconds of power then ill have to find a slightly milder powerplant

thought this might make an interesting project

cheers guys
Old 05-28-2006, 12:23 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default RE: nitro slope soarer questions

Wow- I do not actually know what type of airframe that is (You have pics?) If you want to upgrade in the HP dept. go to a 50 sized engine. Depending on your budget and willingness to see the airframe explode you may look at sport 50's like the OS-50SX, Webra-50GT, Jett-50 etc. If you want speed you need RPM's, skip the 60 it is too heavy and will not turn the RRR's you need-

Heck an OS-32 will outturn a TT-42GP on a smaller prop.

Dunno about mileage---
Old 05-28-2006, 01:40 PM
compound_goose

yeah ill get a pic posted up in a second or two...im exceedingly willing to see the airframe explode if itll get me going at some serious speed
Old 05-28-2006, 04:45 PM
Razor-RCU

Good to hear! A properly placed carbon spar and/or some fiberglass cloth should do the trick....

I anxiously await the pic!
Old 05-29-2006, 05:25 AM
compound_goose

bingo...finally managed to get it to upload
Old 05-29-2006, 11:09 AM
Razor-RCU

Hmmm- Wing looks a bit thick- If that is the 42GP (for size comparisons) I would say go ahead and get a decent 50 sized engine, (60 may cause CG problems there, and may not fit in mount) not sure what you have laying around or how much you wanna spend to see it move faster---

Just by looking at it I would get a 50 and start with a 10x7 to ensure a easy hand launch--

Big Elevons too- make sure the servo travel or dual rates are pretty low- you do not need much deflection on a powered model compared to the slope--
Old 06-01-2006, 05:12 PM
compound_goose

the servo travels already been tweaked

seems an OS 50 is in order...
Old 06-01-2006, 05:20 PM
Razor-RCU

A couple recommendations in case you do not already have a 50-

Webra-50GT This is very light and runs on 5%

OS-50SX This 50 is bulletproof and worth every penny in my opinion. (Use tower muffler or Jett Stream/UT)

Jett-50?
Old 06-12-2006, 02:02 PM
compound_goose

the jett 50 im assuming is more power than the os from what im reading here....but where can i get one in the uk? lhs dont stock em...one does TT engines the other does mainly OS powerplants....the tiger powerplants arent particularily special in the horsepower department if i recall correctly from rc cars...but the OS gives some major power...

so whats the jett like?
Old 06-13-2006, 03:43 AM
compound_goose

and what about the weston engines?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:54 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: compound_goose

the jett 50 im assuming is more power than the os from what im reading here....but where can i get one in the uk? lhs dont stock em...one does TT engines the other does mainly OS powerplants....the tiger powerplants arent particularily special in the horsepower department if i recall correctly from rc cars...but the OS gives some major power...

so whats the jett like?
The Jett engines are available direct from Jett Engineering only. They are not distributed. www.jettengineering.com

The Weston engines are very good. Alan makes a heck of a good powerplant. Since they are in the UK, I would imagine the W-50 would be a good option.

As for the TT and OS comparison, Ive found that the Thunder Tiger Pro serise engines perform as well, and often out-perform the compairable OS engines. The Thunder Tiger .46 Pro with a Jett-Stream muffler is one of my favorite budget-speed combinations.

Bob
Old 06-13-2006, 01:32 PM
compound_goose

im thinking about using a full tuned pipe and header on said motor, whatever it ends up being....so the jett muffler is out hmm...