Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Starlight 40 Fast plane from Nitroplanes.com

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Starlight 40 Fast plane from Nitroplanes.com

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2006, 09:52 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Fast plane from Nitroplanes.com

Yeah anyone?
Old 03-24-2007, 09:45 PM
Isaac F

Hey guys, any info on this airplane how it fly, etc, etc....................

THX

Isaac
Old 03-25-2007, 09:25 PM
dubflyer
My Feedback: (1)

Hi Folks,

I put this plane together and had a TT pro 46 on the nose. This plane needed a lot of weight on the tail to balance about 7 oz.

It balanced as per the manual and I rolled it down the runway with throttle wide open. A small amount of rudder correction was needed to maintain centerline. 300 yds later after pulling back on the elevator it lifted off and flew perfectly. At 200 ft I leveled off and turned it back on the downwind leg. 2 Clicks later of elevator it was level and no aileron correction was necessary. I did try inverted flight which resulted in the nose lowering and a little elevator correction was necessary for level flight. Knife edge a speed was OK. Rolls were fast and axial.

After circling around the pattern at 200 ft for 4 rounds ansd getting the feel of this bird I decided to bring it low and line up for a landing. Having missed the landing ( too high ) I backed off the throttle a little earlier and the lightning came around and lined up low and straight for the centerline. It dropped fast and I realized you need to keep a little power on this plane to keep it flying to touchdown which was fast but controlable.

On the second flight my plan was to leave everything alone and get to test the flying characteristics of the lightening and settle in and enjoy it. Well it took off as before but on lifting off the engine lost power and did not climb like before. I thought the engine would pick up so I maintained heading and as I tiurned it crosswind the engine died . It seemed to have anough flying speed to make it back to the filed but without warning it stalled and spun straight into the ground about 10 yds outside the perimiter of the field hitting a bridge and smashing the fuse to pieces. The only part undamaged was the wing.

I will not buy this plane again mainly because of the 1/2 LB of additional weight required to balance the airplane. Now I am in search of a low wing tricycle airplane for doing fast touch and goes.

A friend at the field gave me the plans for a stormer ................perhaps that is a little too much work as I usually take about 20 hrs to put ARFs together.

Martin
Old 03-25-2007, 09:32 PM
Isaac F

ORIGINAL: dubflyer

I will not buy this plane again mainly because of the 1/2 LB of additional weight required to balance the airplane. Now I am in search of a low wing tricycle airplane for doing fast touch and goes.

Martin
Were you mount your RX battery pack? Why instead of adding weight you not mount your RX battery on the back of the plane to get the CG?

THX,

Isaac
Old 02-09-2010, 04:33 AM
wag727

I just picked up the USAF U.S. Air Force 40 - 52" Nitro Gas ARF Radio Remote Control RC Aircraft Jet Plane (Item# Gas_Starlight40) from a friend that was partially built but he did not have the manual for it.
Can you tell me where the CG is suppose to be and if it is to be balanced upside down or right side up?

Thank's,
Chris