Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Little Toni / Jett BSE90LX Performance from telemetry

Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Little Toni / Jett BSE90LX Performance from telemetry

Old 06-18-2006, 09:30 PM
Fortune7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Little Toni / Jett BSE90LX Performance from telemetry

I've been running the Great Planes Little Toni ARF with a new Jett 90LX and trying to get best performance in terms of RPM and airspeed. I just wasn't happy aiming the thing in a dive at a 'volunteer' with the club's radar gun for safety reasons so I invested in the EagleTree Flight Data Recorder (FDR) Pro with Dashboard. I can now get real-time (and accurate) in-flight performance figures for rpm and airspeed. I should say I'm (slowly) building a turbine powered Eurosport and got the 'Toni to test-bed servos, reciever and now the FDR before putting into the Jet - well, it's my excuse to justify another 'plane!

It's early days with the measuremants - I just got the FDR installed this weekend, but initial performance is:

Static rpm 14,700 with APC 12x6, unloading to about 15,500 in flight at an airspeed of about 130 mph level. Peak rpm in a steep dive (from 1350ft !) was 154mph and rpm 17005 - all wide-open throttle, and using 15% Morgan Omega fuel with a Merlin plug. The airframe (inexplicably) survived aileron flutter once at these dive speeds and I was lucky to recover and land. The standard control surface horns are too flexible, especially when used with side-mounted ball-links. I should have anticipated this and am feeling very lucky not to have lost it. Both 2/56 threaded rods joining the aileron horns to the servos were bent! How the Hitec karbonite servo gears survived is another surprise.....Anyway, lessons learned from pushing the envelope on an ARF meant for a standard .60 for power.

There seems little point in pushing the airframe limits but I'm keen to explore the engine/prop combination to get the best results I can in stright and level flight. Clearly, the 'Toni isn't a rocket ship but the confidence of accurate rpm and airspeed measurements means experimentation is possible to get the best from the airframe. You guys in this forum will be able to help with questions so here goes:

1. As the engine unloads in flight, it will use more power and therefore the mixture will lean-out - right? So I need to set a richer-than-peak setting on the ground. What about the effect (if any) of ram-air into the carb in flight? Do I adjust the needle progressively leaner for the same prop? How do I recognize an over-lean condition? Does the engine falter at max load when it's lean or can damage be done without knowing? I am measuring cylinder temperature and with the wrap-around probe which comes with the FDR I'm seeing about 175F in level flight, or about 200F peak in a climb. I think this will go up if I can get better conductivity between the sensor and cylinder head, but probably no more than say 20 degrees.
2. I assuming I'm looking for a prop which gives the highest speed in level flight but how should I go about getting there? I mean, do I tweak the mixture for best RPM and airspeed or should I use head temperature as a limiter?

Anyway, I hope a few will reply or ask about the setup. I'm keen to try a few different props to see if we can get the best out of the 'Toni. As it clearly can fly at more than 100mph, I'll try to get my turbine waiver on it. If I get bored with the pursuit of speed, I can always keep practicing landings - this thing floats! Landing speed is about 50mph, by the way....

Andy

Old 06-18-2006, 09:54 PM
Harry Lagman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Little Toni / Jett BSE90LX Performance from telemetry

Andy - excellent post. Thanks for sharing that information with us.

I have a Toni too, but with the "non-LX" Jett 90L. I use a 12x8 APC prop (about 13k static) but have also used the 12x6 (14k static).

Regarding leaning in flight. I set mine a little rich on the ground and it does lean considerably in the air. I have pushed the envelope a couple of times with lean mixture - as the fuel level goes down, the mixture does lean somewhat, especially in a climb. Blown glowplugs are a sign of a too lean condition. Has yours blown any yet?

Sounds like you should buy a lottery ticket after that flutter. I used Dubro Heavy Duty control horns (part # 867) on mine.

I look forward to the findings of your prop experiments.

Old 06-18-2006, 10:22 PM
Fortune7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, Harry for the feedback - all very useful. I did blow one plug in an early run which I recognised as lean due to fuel foaming, and I'm now wary of leaning too far in case of overheating and damaging the liner/piston fit or worse a partial seizure. I guess if I could be confident that the plug ALWAYS fails first I could be more agressive on the leaning. I must have run about 2 gallons thro the engine so far - can I expect better performance with more (careful) use?

Thanks again, Andy
Old 06-19-2006, 12:21 AM
buddude8
My Feedback: (10)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

cant wait til rmenke get a look at this thread lol

also for your prop apc 11x8 is the one. I have lots of experience with the jett 90l in the toni and the 90 lx in the alley cat. you should get between 15000-15700 on the ground with that prop with 15% nitro. on my little toni both of the push rods for the ele and rud have been changed out to 4-40 and i used the heavy duty ball links. same thing for the aielerons. this should stop your worries about having any flex in a high speed dive.

ken
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28367.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	40.1 KB
ID:	479671   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av69107.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	479672   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xd81113.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	479673   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd92327.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	479674   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki19764.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	479675  
Old 06-19-2006, 01:22 AM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

buddude8....

....you are correct.....the 11-8 APC prop is the best APC prop fot the Jett 90L.
The 12-8 Apc will dog it out, the same way they dog out most engines.
The engine is supposed to turn 15K static.

15% nitro is good too.

FBD.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:43 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks for the post there. That is some very good in-flight information. Sounds like the engine is performing very well.

On the 90LX, try the 11x8 as Buddude suggested. The LX engine prefers to turn over 15,000 on the ground. You can load it below that down as low as 14,500 (like you have it now), and it will continue to unload in the air, but in that case try an 11x9.

The ram-air effect on carb/engine performance is pretty much zero. Worry not about that.

The engine will want more fuel as it unloads on the muffler. If you set the engine down about 600-700 rpm from peak before launch, you will be in the ball park.

How do you know if it is too lean? If you blow a plug, that is the first indication. Usually it is not worth the experiment to push the engine that hard. A hot/lean run for any length of time will send you off ordering a new piston and sleeve..... and its usually best to avoid that.

Quite honestly, few of us have done extensive cylinder temp monitoring. Never was necessary. So I can not give you any real guidance there.

Around 135 mph is the best anyone has seen with the Toni in level flight. It is a fat plane. Its just not going to go much faster than that unless it is heading down hill So asking the engine for another 200-300 rpm on the top end running it leaner is not going to do much of any good.

What we really need for the Toni and Alley Cat is a 12x9 narrow, thin blade prop. Something like an 8.8x8.5, just bigger.

Keep us all up to date with your data. Good to see stuff like this (rather than folks guessing....)

Bob
Old 06-19-2006, 12:39 PM
jettlag

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

This is really great data.

Oops, the technocrats would say, "these are very good data".

Remember, you can always call dub. Some of those questions are complex.

Old 06-19-2006, 01:11 PM
daven
My Feedback: (1)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Are you talking about yourself in the 3rd person Dub?

See ya in a couple weeks, lets not midair Vortex's this year
Old 06-19-2006, 06:30 PM
Fortune7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks, folks for the feedback - all good stuff. I'll put an 11 x 8 on and report some more runs this weekend.

I'm guessing with 2" more pitch than the 12 x 6 (with 14,700 rpm) I probably won't get the 'ideal' static RPM of 15000. Does the engine take a few gallons to loosen-up and if so, is it OK to just keep running it with the 11 x 8 and set static 600-700 rpm lower than peak? In other words, are there any other rules or advice for coaxing more rpm out of the engine?

Andy
Old 06-19-2006, 08:15 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Yo BRO's

One thing I learned this year is not to call out the Dude Bro's unless you are very sure of your speed. I can claim senior moments now with turning 71 in May. It is supprising that the Tony and Alley Cat are about the same speed with the Jett 91. In my AC, the stock pipe provides more mph than the LX version for some reason. The extension just throws off things a bunch. With time, have learned my 90 likes the 11 X 8 apc with a somewhat rich settilng on the ground. The in air speed (unloaded) seems to be around 10 mph faster than a attempt at *****g out the needle. The AC had about 1 mph on the Tony in our fly off thing, old age and treatchery (cheeting on the corners) did prevail. Talk about the odd bunch, one old man and two young studs having a ball togeather. Miss you guys, will try to get down to one of your fun flys soon!! Dinner and wife is calling, see ya!
Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Harry Lagman

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Andy, your engine should easily pull 15+ with the 11x8 - mine (non LX) pulls about 14.6K.

ALso, my mention above of the 12x8 was not intended to be a recommendation - my apologies if it appeared to be the case. The 12x8 works well on the .90L but is at the high end of the recommended load for the .90L and would be too big for the .90LX. The .90L can happily run at 13-13.5 K static but the LX should be doing up around 15K.

The 11x8 is a good starting point and it will be interesting to see what the props either side of it do in comparison.

Keep us posted.
Old 06-20-2006, 09:10 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Andy_suncoast_sportplanes

Thanks, folks for the feedback - all good stuff. I'll put an 11 x 8 on and report some more runs this weekend.

I'm guessing with 2" more pitch than the 12 x 6 (with 14,700 rpm) I probably won't get the 'ideal' static RPM of 15000. Does the engine take a few gallons to loosen-up and if so, is it OK to just keep running it with the 11 x 8 and set static 600-700 rpm lower than peak? In other words, are there any other rules or advice for coaxing more rpm out of the engine?

Andy
It will turn the 11x8 higher than the 12x6. Trust me. Just run it as described.

It should not loosen up. The engine basically does not require extensive break-in. A nice squeek when cold is a good thing. When the engine is running, it is pleanty loose You will simply find that when run properly, the engine gets better with age.

You are doing fine with it. Sounds like its running very well.

As Harry noted there, yes, the 12x8 works well on the SJ-90L-Toni setup, but its a little too much for the 90LX setup.
Old 06-23-2006, 12:18 AM
AIRFREAK-1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Pitch speed for a 6" pitch prop @ 15,500 rpm is about 93 mph, and 102 mph @ 17,005rpm. RPM x pitch=speed approximately, and that's with 100% prop efficiency. Where did you mount the pitot tube?[sm=confused.gif]
Old 06-23-2006, 06:47 AM
Fortune7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The pitot tube supplied with the FDR is mounted in the right wing (forward of the servo position) and emerging from the leading edge parallel to airflow with the end of the tube about 2.25" forward of the L.E. The static source was next to this originally but the sense hole in the static probe was too close (about 1/2") to the wing L.E., causing erratic measurements. I now take the static measurement from inside the fuselage. I'm fairly confident it's a good source of ambient pressure with no turbulence; the readings of speed and altitude are very consistent.
I do understand the skepticism; it's a lot easier to make wild claims than to back it up with reliable numbers. I'll be adding the GPS module to the FDR today which will back-up the airspeed numbers (or not!) with accurate groundspeed. The two should be the same in no-wind, level flight conditions. I should be able to make averaging runs for wind correction and the downloaded graphs of airspeed/GPS speed/altitude will provide the evidence for speed measurement when level. I'll predict now that the averaged airspeed numbers will tend to exceed the GPS groundspeed because in the pursuit of 'good numbers' it's difficult not to induce a dive! We'll see and I'll report if I can get data.

Andy
Old 06-23-2006, 08:23 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: priyasman

Pitch speed for a 6" pitch prop @ 15,500 rpm is about 93 mph, and 102 mph @ 17,005rpm. RPM x pitch=speed approximately, and that's with 100% prop efficiency. Where did you mount the pitot tube?[sm=confused.gif]

put the calculator away.... pitch is not the only factor with prop performance. (I will not go into a course on prop design here, but this is true).

Common example: Many 424 sport Q-500 aircraft are well documented at flying up around 110-120 mph in level flight - that, with a TT40 Pro engine, turning a 9x6 prop, with ground static rpm around 16,300. Figure with the required stock, untuned muffler, it unloads to appx 17,000 in a straight line level flight.

Sanity check here.... a good 424 combination can fly 10 laps (2 mile course) in about 1:20 (somtimes as low as 1:15). That is 80 seconds, or 1.33 minutes, for what is essentially (due to the way you fly it) 2.5 miles of flight path. That comes to about an average 112 mph, on the race course, turning, slowing, and accellerating every 3-4 seconds. So one would expect, in clean, trimmed, level flight over an extend distance, that approaching 120 mph is not unreasonable (and has indeed been varified)

Doing a simple pitch/rpm regression - 120 mph is 2 miles/min; 10560 ft/min ; 126720 in/min. That divided by 6" pitch, would regress back to 21,120 rpm. And I think we know that the TT40 is not turning that, even on a really good day

So the logical conclusion, in this simplified example at least, is that the prop is doing more than "pushing" the plane forward 6" with each prop revolution.
Old 06-23-2006, 10:01 AM
MyWay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob, How was it determined that the TT 40 only unloads 700 rpm in flight with a 9/6 ?
Old 06-23-2006, 10:50 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: MyWay

Bob, How was it determined that the TT 40 only unloads 700 rpm in flight with a 9/6 ?
I knew someone was going to ask about the numbers...... [&:]

Air data recorder (real data I am directly aware of), and I also recall someone using an audio tach a couple of years ago. It does not unload a ton when using the stock muffler.

That is a round number - thus noted "appx". Can be higher - lower a bit. Flight rpm varies quite a bit though.

Point being, it does not unload a great deal, and certainly not up to 20K rpm in level flight.
Old 06-24-2006, 01:42 AM
AIRFREAK-1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Bob, are you saying that a prop can be more than 100% efficient? Can a prop create more air velocity, and speed than its pitch would suggest? Personally I think it can, but have not been able to prove it. This is why I asked where the pitot was located. Regards, Scott.
Old 06-24-2006, 02:05 AM
HighPlains

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Apples and oranges. Efficiency of the prop is the power transfer, usually around 80-85%. Maybe an example would explain it better.

Say you have an engine with 3 shaft hp and prop with 80% efficiency, you end up with 2.4 hp pulling the airplane. Since there are multiple combinations of prop diameter/pitch that will allow the engine to turn up to an RPM that generates it's hp, the problem is finding the one that matches up with the airframe's drag, while turning in the target rpm range.

As far as pitch of the prop, that depends upon a bunch of factors, and it most likely is not aligned with the bottom surface of the prop due to the airfoil, though that is usually where it is measured. In other words, the pitch is higher than marked.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:48 PM
cncswiss1

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

props have airfoils too, Pitch (AOA) is not the only thing producing lift, else props would be flat plates.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:21 PM
Fortune7

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I got a brief flight today with the GPS module installed. Numbers:

Jett BSE 90LX, APC11x8, 15% Morgan coolpower fuel, Florida humidity and about 88 degrees ambient.
RPM: 14900 static, leaned about 400-500 off-peak for flight, which peaked at 15822 and averaged in the level-flight runs at about 15,400 (+/- 200)
Airspeed: 147 peak, average level flight about 136-140mph (taken from EagleTree systems Flightdeck Pro, and looking at 10 samples per second of airspeed info). The trick is to look at the post-flight graphs of speed, height and rate of climb to see where 'level flight' is occurring, but I'm pretty confident of the numbers.
GPS Groundspeed: the sample of 'good' data was fairly small, and lagged the airspeed by between about 0.5 and 1 second. On only one run it wasn't ideal, and I think the position of the GPS module close to the FDR's wireless transmitter and antenna may have been less than ideal. However, again, I got sufficient GPS speed info to validate the airspeed from the pitot/static system, i.e GPS groundspeed looked matched the airspeed numbers less about 5-7 mph.
Temperature: I took the opportunity to better secure the temperature probe to the head - in between the top fin of the cylinder and the head, over the exhaust stack - and saw a max temp of 316F, not in flight but on the static runup and peak-out of mixture and rpm. This is much more realistic than the figures I was getting before, and indicates a in-flight cylinder temp of between 220 and 240 degrees F.

Overall, I'm confident the 'Toni is flying level at about 135-140 mph with this setup.

Unloading the engine in shallow dives the engine faltered indicating lean, so I set up to land and richen another 200 rpm. Unfortunately, I mis-judged the landing and put it into long grass / rough ground within 2 feet of the mown edge of the grass runway. It caught the gear, stopped the airplane instantly (from 43mph!) and flipped, punching the wheel pants through the wing and busting the gear mount almost out of the fus. I messed-up, no excuse, except the pressure was on, with about three other guys giving advice over my shoulder, at a field I hadn't flown at for a few months. So the Toni is pretty badly bent, and I'm not sure if I want to try fixing it as I know I'll have to add weight doing so. Also, I noticed before the fateful flight that the firewall was starting to get 'flexible'; not affecting the flying (yet) but nevetheless an issue which needed to be fixed.

Maybe I'll get another Little Toni as I do like the shape and the way she flies. Otherwise, maybe an Alley-Cat? My problem is time to build; with a busy job it's difficult to find the time. Is the Alley Cat a true ARF? I know some of you have built them and give good reports. I'll sleep on the idea, lick my wounds and go practice centerline landings with something slower!

For me, the point of the exercise was definitive speed and rpm measurement and I'm happy I got both. The electronics will go into my turbine Eurosport build, but maybe not before I use it another fast prop plane. Besides, I need something for this wonderul motor!

Cheers, Andy
Old 06-25-2006, 10:16 PM
HighPlains

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Your 5 to 7 mph error from the eagletree to GPS is likely due to a static pressure error, ie., air being sucked from the fuselage. This also increases the drag of the airframe. 130 to 135 is about what I expected, which is fast for such a large airframe.
Old 06-25-2006, 11:16 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Andy- Great info.! I sure can appreciate your candid and humble accounts of what happened there---

Get another fast plane while you are at it- Maybe a Patriot XL (Ooops, kit!), something with retracts would help you on your way to turbine waiver-ville.

Take care and keep us posted!
Old 06-25-2006, 11:36 PM
MyWay

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Andy, This is really good info. Who would of thought a 12/6 prop and 11/8 prop unloaded to about the same rpm and ended up at pretty close to the same speed. No more calculators for me. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-26-2006, 07:17 AM
bob27s

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Outstanding follow-up.

Search this Thread