Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Best airframe for extreme speed?

Old 12-27-2002, 05:48 PM
Paulus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Best airframe for extreme speed?

Although I'm not planning to do some extreme speed stuff (more into pylon) I was thinking about what the best type of plane is for extreme speed?

The delta's most guys are flying here look kind of draggy in comparison to a F5D racer for instance. A F5D racer needs only 500-600 Watts to reach speeds of 180-190 MPH while a delta needs LOTS more power to reach the same speed....?

Wouldn't it be better to take a F5D-ish airframe with a cowled F3D engine like a MB40 or Nelson FAI?

Just my thoughts. Flame suit on..

Greetings from Holland,

Paul
Old 12-27-2002, 06:15 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That F5D airframe is not designed to take I/C engine vibrations. Come to think of it, it probably isn't designed to hold up with that kind of power either.
If you wan't to go that way, I'd take an F3D airframe fitted with a hot rear exhaust engine (Jett Fire 60 or some .45 DF engine)... Would be an expensive plane though.

Prettige feesten Paulus.
Old 12-27-2002, 06:32 PM
Paulus

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Originally posted by Rudeboy
That F5D airframe is not designed to take I/C engine vibrations. Come to think of it, it probably isn't designed to hold up with that kind of power either.
If you wan't to go that way, I'd take an F3D airframe fitted with a hot rear exhaust engine (Jett Fire 60 or some .45 DF engine)... Would be an expensive plane though.
I meant an airframe with the shape of an F5D but with a stronger construction.
A F3D airframe has to have all sorts of minimum sizes which doesn't help drag reduction.

I thought a MB40 or Nelson FAI was a lot hotter than the engines you mentioned?

Greetings and happy holidays,

Paul
Old 12-27-2002, 07:22 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well they are (I think). But they aren't very user friendly: no throttle, hard to tune, expensive, not very long lasting, burning plugs like there's no tomorrow...
I wouldn't want such an engine on a weekend flier.
Come to think of it, I don't think a 46 DF engine has a lot less power than an F3D engine. I'll be checking that out...
Old 12-29-2002, 09:37 PM
f3d

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default best speed modell

In my opinion e small modell like a F3d design with fully closed tuned pipe and conventionall wings are the fastet types.
Our F3d pylon modells were clocked with radar at 320 km/h on the straight line but with a higher pitch on the propeller and diving down from 500 m I think 400 Km/h are no problem.

I have myself a special speed modell with a BVM ( Nelson ) 91 DF engine with 1m winspan. It is very fast and I have never sea any faster modell. Even my turbine hot spot with a Jet Cat 120 is not as fast as my speed modell.

Go fast and turn left.

Michael
Old 12-29-2002, 09:55 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Hey f3d,

Did you design that speed plane yourself?
What is it like? Some kind of slightly enlarged F3D design?

How about some pictures?

Also, the Hotspots aren't the fastest models around...a BVM Bandit for example will give you more speed on that turbine. Of course the Hotspot is a nice turbine trainer, more wing =>easier flying, and a hell of a lot cheaper than a BVM...
Old 12-31-2002, 06:13 AM
e-sailpilot86

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Note that 500-600 watts (+ or - .75 horsepower) is plenty on an airframe as light as they are, and that the props are spinning at 35,000 rpm; 4.7" x 4.7". Some of those glow planes that are draggier, that require more power, spin a bigger prop at a lower rpm, different pitch, you know the rest! I think the F5D and some F3D planes are a particularly optimal shape having the L/D to accomplish such speed. Notice how fast F5D planes accelerate in the below video.

Look out in the future for 15-20 cell pylon electrics swinging bigger props at a hefty rpm. I'm not the one to check into that, especially when the person suggesting this said speeds are on the order of regular F3D planes. That is, if they're into the 180mph to 220mph sustained speed. Maybe more eventually...
F5D video:
F5D video, MPEG format and BIG
Old 12-31-2002, 01:11 PM
Rocket
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RUDEBOY

the nelson fai40 will go 40 flights with no problem, then you had better do a rodjob just for kick's. and when rob (mb) was in ft lauderdale him and bruce dechastel were talking about how bruces motor "the one he won the t/t with" has 200+ runs on it. also the globee plug is only for racing and the h/d nelson plug will go lot's of run before you need to change it.

there used to be a pylon event call quarter 15. find one of those puppy's and cowl in an fai motor and i think you will really scare the neighbors. RR

reason for edit

RUDEBOY do you like the specials.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:37 PM
Rudeboy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Specails??? Hell yeah!

There's only one problem: they have to be quiet specials...
Scaring the neighbours indeed...F3D was banned from our field a few years ago, other racing events like Quicky 500 are bound to follow...

Guess I'll have to move to the States or Australia...

What is this quarter 15 stuff? Would it be something like in our country? We have Club 40 (F3D) and Club 20 (smaller models, using a .20 muffled front intake side exhaust engine)
Anyway, I guess a pylon engine could be run with a muffled tuned pipe also, perhaps not with the power, but close if well tuned...
Old 12-31-2002, 05:16 PM
Rocket
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default monkey man

did you see QUADROPHENIA.

the clash. "the only band that matters"

DID YOU HEAR STRUMMER DIED.

a friend from ireland called me when it happened. she was a roadie for the band. they had gotten back together.