Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Jett 90 vs. YS110 (not another "vs." thread!)

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Jett 90 vs. YS110 (not another "vs." thread!)

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 09:47 AM
alpapilot
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jett 90 vs. YS110 (not another "vs." thread!)

I may be comparing apples to watermelons here but, for versatility would the YS110 or Jett 90 be a better choice?

I am primarily a 3D guy with a little sport flying thrown in. I have had many 100+ electric planes such as wings and jets but nothing too fast in the nitro range. I know I can take the YS110 and prop it to fly fantastic 3D on 60-90 size planes and I can later prop it for speed an planes like the Little Toni or Alley Cat.

What I don't know is the versatility of the Jett engines. Obviously the Jett 90 is a powerhouse for speed, but can it be propped to fly something other than that?

Also, I currently have a Saito 125 that I am using for 3D. Can that be propped for speed?

Thanks,
AP

BTW, everyone have a safe and happy 4th!
Old 07-05-2006, 12:16 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Jett 90 vs. YS110 (not another "vs." thread!)

The Jett 90L can be propped down for lower rpm/bigger props - by using the longer "torque" jett-stream muffler or a turbo-jett muffler. Target rpm in that case is about 12,000 rpm peak. Props like a 14x6, 13x8 and similar. They key is the exhaust tuning. As you have likely read, that same engine with the standard jett-stream muffler is more happy turning between 13,000 and 15,000 ground peak rpm.

For true 3D and aerobatics, Jett offers the BSE-100L and BSE-120L. Same size as the Jett 90, but designed to turn more in the 10K rpm range with bigger props, and can turn as high as 13,000 if you desire (we do not recommend turning higher on these) These two engine can be better compaired to the Saito 125 and YS110.

You can prop the YS110 for speed, and likely the Saito 125 in the same fashion. 14x10 prop is a good starting point. Quite a few warbird guys with these engines on the nose.