Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Looking for some info didnt know this forum was here

Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Looking for some info didnt know this forum was here

Old 07-10-2006, 04:44 PM
FenderBean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Looking for some info didnt know this forum was here

Hey everyone I have been posting over in the jet setion trying to get help with my current projects
I have 2 old combat model jets, I got them off of ebay. The F-18 and F-16, for those that dont remember these planes they are foam that u can glass with cloth and are pusher jets. These things look better than some jets in my opinion. I am currently working with robart to get scale retracts for them
they both are 65in long, 45 inch wingspans and weight 7-8 lbs they use 45-61 engines with PUSHER PROPS (rear mounted engines)
Before I start these things I was wondering if anyone out there made anything similiar but more up to date. I like the rear mounted pusher concept since it hides the eng completely except prop.
these things are extremely realistic have leading edge/trailling edge flaps, working doors for landing gear and full elevator control. www.combatmodels.com is the website go check them out not sure if they are still in business
The orig guy who tested used a rossi 45 with rear pipe, so im just wondering what are the near engines out there that I should look at?
Also does anyone know where I can get some .75 ounce glass cloth?
Old 07-10-2006, 04:56 PM
FenderBean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Looking for some info didnt know this forum was here

here are some pics, im going to be doing a detail photo build on these things, thinking about maybe reproducing these things
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77906.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	489748   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh19095.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	66.7 KB
ID:	489749  
Attached Images  
Old 07-11-2006, 12:47 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Fenderbean- It has been covered pretty heavily, try a search for "Combat Models" or "CBM F-16N" - and get a cup of coffee...

I have owned, flown, fiddled etc. with the 16N and the company, which in my opinion has the worst customer service in history-

The ONLY engine I would recommend would be the YS-45RE or SE if you have to. It is pumped so the fuel tanks can be a few feet away [X(] and it has more power on a 7.5CC pipe than any sport engine except the Jett-50 (Not pumped).

I am sure there are a couple folks who have used the Jett-50 or Rossi-45 or whatever but they are the exception NOT the rule. Heck I loved my Rossi-45 but I would put a few other engines in front of it including the Webra-50GT, Rossi-53, and K&B-48 [8D]

TRUST ME on this one, go to EBAY and get a YS-45, 10x8APC and a pipe....

Build as light as possible obviously, use a credit card or similar to sqeegee the excess resin/ Z-poxy etc. OFF the airplane-- (If you already knew any of this, sorry )

Keep us posted and post pics as you go!
Old 07-11-2006, 08:26 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

As Razor noted, there are a few threads in here about these planes. Look through a bit. In fact there was a thread just a few weeks ago.

There have been many of the CBM planes built and flown. They fly well. But they are far from ARF, and take a good deal of attention to detail.

The fuel system on the F-16 is its biggest headach.

Also as noted, the ONLY engine to really consider is either a YS45SE or, if you can find one, a YS45RE.

Using other engines are possible, Jett 50 or 60LX, Webra 50, Rossi 53 all have adequate power - but you must commit yourself to a redesigned/specialized fuel system, and at least 3 hours of test-bench setup of the fuel system and engine combination.

As for glass cloth, try www.matneymodels.com
Old 07-11-2006, 09:41 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

True, the fuel system was a bit of a hassle to plumb even with the YS, I also did not enjoy building the elevator torque rods and what-not. It is also worth noting that with the YS-45RE you can keep the ENTIRE pipe enclosed in the fuselage (Cut a hatch for easy access), whereas the SE does not look nearly as good with the pipe outside the fuse.

They are nice airplanes, as long as you get the set-up right- and you are doing the right thing with your research here... Ask questions often

James
Old 07-11-2006, 12:09 PM
Bucshot
My Feedback: (16)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I built the F-16 and put it together exactly as the instruction book says. I used Robart retracts and built the sturts as directed and they work great! It takes some screwing around to get the doors to work right, but once you have them set, the work nicely. If you build the struts like Combat Models recommends, you don't need to spend the extra money on scale retracts. I also think that any pneumatic retracts will work.

Any hobby shop should carry .75 oz glass. Like said earlier....watch the weight, especially when painting.

Enjoy
Old 07-12-2006, 03:12 PM
FenderBean

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks guys lots of good info here and I will search for past post. I will go with the YS and the good tuned pipe so it will be inclosed. The only problem im running into is today I got the F-16 and was checking over the kit and it doesnt have the canopy in it = ( BIG problem since on a F-16 this is the focal point, and for me I would have no way of making one. Im hoping the guy just forgot to put it in the box.
Also my other head ache is getting a scale set of F-18 retracts that are right size, so if anyone ahs any info on this let me know and thanks again.