Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Shrike 40 ARF -- Glue Wings???

Old 07-14-2006, 12:28 PM
hilleyja
My Feedback: (3)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Shrike 40 ARF -- Glue Wings???

Call me confused!!!!

1) The construction manual that came with my Lanier Shrike 40 ARF say to glue the wings to the fuselage, yet, the wings come ready to mount with a wing tube and mounting bolts.

Is the dynamics on this bird that bad that you need to both glue the wings and used a wing tube and mounting bolts?

2) Dual airlon servos but no outlet into the fuselage? I had to carve two holes in the fuselage to pass my wing servo leads. Normall this wouldn't be a problem but they ended up right next to the servo mouting board. Am I so dense that I missed something here? Why didn't Lanier provide for these servo leads in their ARF construction?

BTW, going to mount a Webra Speed 40 on mine -- going to be about 17,000rpm on a 9x8 APC prop.
Old 07-14-2006, 02:18 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Shrike 40 ARF -- Glue Wings???

I screw and glue all the time--- I do not have the Shrike however...

My Webra-50GT turns a 9x8 APC 16.2, is your Speed 40 special?
Old 07-14-2006, 03:43 PM
hilleyja

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Nothing special about my Speed 40 that I know of. It is currently mounted on a Viper 500 with an APC 9x6 -- 16K++ I extrapolate that to 17K for the 9x8. We will see when I get her together.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim- If it turns 16K on a 9x6 it will be lower with the extra diameter of the 9x8 It is probably still a monster for the weight and everything but the numbers looked funny- Even my Jett-50 turns a 9x8 around 17.4K

Screw and glue and have some fun!

Cheers!
Old 07-14-2006, 09:21 PM
rmenke
My Feedback: (13)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Guys: Bob said you ya-all had a screw loose!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sorry, just could not resit that, even to extreem speed brothers ENJOY Bro 119
Old 07-14-2006, 10:17 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim, You didn't miss anything..Lanier did. I removed the covering material (carefully) from all the areas where the parts came together and epoxied. I used the bolts to pull the wing to fuse for gluing and cut a slot for the servo connector. I added a 1/8 ply to the floor inside the fuse behind the firewall for hard nose gear landings. Drip in thin CA in all joints that will wick it in(don't forget the LG mounts in the wings, not easy). I did glue in place a piece of carbon fiber tube about 10" long centered inside the wing tube. I now don't think that it was needed because the plane can't turn that hard, a wing stalls and it rolls down and out of it, so try this up high! My Shrike 40 ARF won't turn near as hard as my Viper. Land with air speed, there's no warning, too slow and it stops flying and just drops...hard. One thing you gota try is it's insane roll rate! If you can set up a dual rate switch setting that defects ailerons to about 45* or so with 100% expo (you need strong servos). I'ts a crowd pleaser Yahoooo!
Old 07-14-2006, 10:42 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I built the Shrike 40 kit a few years ago. (still have it!!!). As I recall on the original instructions. The wings were glued to the fuselage followed by a strip of fiberglass cloth around it to hold it better to the fuselage.. However i did not do this and just strengthend the spars better. If you have never flown one. its a great ride. They come out nose heavy. My elevator travel was nearly 90 degrees and you use most of it on landings.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:47 PM
hilleyja

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: freakingfast

Jim, You didn't miss anything..Lanier did. I removed the covering material (carefully) from all the areas where the parts came together and epoxied. I used the bolts to pull the wing to fuse for gluing and cut a slot for the servo connector. I added a 1/8 ply to the floor inside the fuse behind the firewall for hard nose gear landings. Drip in thin CA in all joints that will wick it in(don't forget the LG mounts in the wings, not easy). I did glue in place a piece of carbon fiber tube about 10" long centered inside the wing tube. I now don't think that it was needed because the plane can't turn that hard, a wing stalls and it rolls down and out of it, so try this up high! My Shrike 40 ARF won't turn near as hard as my Viper. Land with air speed, there's no warning, too slow and it stops flying and just drops...hard. One thing you gota try is it's insane roll rate! If you can set up a dual rate switch setting that defects ailerons to about 45* or so with 100% expo (you need strong servos). I'ts a crowd pleaser Yahoooo!
Do you know if anyone has flown this without glueing the wings -- it sure would make transporting easier?

What benefit do you expect from the carbon tube instead of the aluminum it comes with?

I really don't expect to run pylon races with this bird so don't think I need to be too concerned with dynamics of turning collapsing the wings. I do, however, want to experience the full throttle setting on my Webra Speed 40 down the centerline of the runway about 2' above the deck.
Old 07-14-2006, 10:49 PM
Cyclic Hardover

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: Razor-RCU

Jim- If it turns 16K on a 9x6 it will be lower with the extra diameter of the 9x8 It is probably still a monster for the weight and everything but the numbers looked funny- Even my Jett-50 turns a 9x8 around 17.4K

Screw and glue and have some fun!

Cheers!
Shoot, about a year and a half ago, I bet I had my Jett 90 upwards of 30k before the engine blew a rod when the prop/spinner came off!
Old 07-15-2006, 10:13 PM
freakingfast

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Jim, the carbon fiber tube was inside the stock aluminum tube for added strength in the area I've seen other plane's wing tubes fail. High speed passes are a rush, but it's only the half of it. Abrupt turn aways and loops can be rush too!
Old 07-18-2006, 11:37 PM
seanpatsdad

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

hilleyja
I have this plane.I took the l/g off and put a sheet of coroplast glued to bottom for about 8 inches.makes it much faster and the stock gear is a joke.It will probably rip out on 2 or 3 tough landings.Mine did.The mains are only hot glued in place.Just my 2 cents.
John
Old 07-24-2006, 01:14 PM
hilleyja

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Maiden flight yesterday.

I started out with the 9x6 APC prop -- it was plenty fast but not where I want it. I'll try the 9x8 APC after a few more flights.

LANDING GEAR!@#$%^&: My 1st flight was uneventful in the air and on landing. It was what I would consider to be a normal landing for an airplane of this type. It didn't bounce and was just this side of a perfect 3-pointer. Guess what; that's all it took to collapse the right side main landing gear. I haven't gotten into the wing yet but I suspect I will find that the landing gear block very flimsy and probably broken along a woodgrain crack. There is no obvious damage to the wing so the block must have broke in place without breaking any attached balsa. I have some OAK blocks that I will use in its place. I hope I won't have to make too much repair because I can't easily replace the checkerboard pattern on the covering.

BTW, I plan on complaining to Lanier.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:02 PM
hilleyja

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Its been a while since I added to this subject.

I've been flying this airplane for about a month now and it is a blast.

I did get into the wing and found the hardwood landing gear blocks were a joke -- literally. I complained to Lanier and they have ignored me; didn't even acknowledge they received my email.

The stock landing gear blocks are about 8-10" long and about 1/2" thick. There is an additional small square block glued to the long one where the landing gear inserts into the wing. This block broke away from the 1/2" block during a very gentle landing.

I pulled the stock landing gear; thankfully it was so lightly glued it came out without damaging the wing ribs it was attached to. I created a solid Oak block of the same length but 1 1/2" thick and, using a router, cut a grooved down it for the landing gear. I then drilled a hole for where the gear inserts into the block. With this setup, you will bend the landing gear flush to the wing before this block would begin to hint of breaking.

With this setup landing has been 110% uneventfull, regardless of the purficiency -- it has been landed several times rather hard with no hint of gear problems.
Old 09-20-2006, 07:00 PM
skull1971

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It'll go faster if you take the gear off it. Last winter I built the kit, what a pain to cover, but the plane came out great. It's VERY soild, it's hit the ground a few times, HARD, with no real damage. Using the speed formula in another post, I came up with 138 mph, I don't think it was that fast, but it was quick. Running an OS FX 46, 10-8 prop, gonna drop it into the 9's and see if it' ll go faster.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:31 PM
skull1971

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

After my last post I got to thinking, (I know I should'nt). In the kit you glue, kinda, and then fiberglass the wings on. You build up the wings on the fuse sides, and then sheet them. I guess it's a wing with a box in the middle.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:45 PM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Starting to put the Lanier Shrike .40 together now. I want to beef ou the main gear blocks. Which side did you open top or bottom? I hate cutting into a new plane.
Old 09-29-2006, 01:25 AM
skull1971

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It's 50-50, mine are on the rear of the fuse. Just install a piece of ply inside the radio compartment, drill, blind nuts, and your done.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25138.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	532245  
Old 09-29-2006, 01:55 PM
TOFAST4U2C
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Skull
My Shrike is the newer ARF with the main gear in the wings, and the the blocks come loose so I wanted to get at them to reinforce them without cutting the ply sheeting.
If I have real problems I may change to your style of gear.
Old 09-29-2006, 07:22 PM
skull1971

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Oh, cutting the ply is a bad deal, the kit is to be hand launched, but I don't like the idea of a meat-grinder above my head. I've been seeing launchers that guys have made for other planes, if I can fugure one out, I'll just take the wheels off it. Less drag=more fast.