Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Telemetry from a 60 size mustang

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Telemetry from a 60 size mustang

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2006, 11:48 PM
Cyclic Hardover
My Feedback: (3)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Telemetry from a 60 size mustang

I know I'm the last guy you want to hear from but when I rebuilt mine over the winter, I clipped the wings back a bit. I makes a noticable difference. With what your doing with this thing, wing loading really doesn't matter anyways.
Old 10-01-2006, 07:30 AM
r-c-guy
My Feedback: (37)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's not true. If no one questions things, we do not have valid protocols for finding believable and reproducible truths. I am in your debt as well as 'Andy Suncoast Sportplanes' who challenged me to verify by other means. Now, with two simultaneous systems on board, I can make changes and get meaningful comparisons for the changes I make. The gps module did make it reproducible and verifyible by a second means.

Have you considere making other changes to your bird and upping the power/rpm sources? As you know, the bird is a pleasure to fly and it gets even more stable the faster it goes!

Thanks for your input!

randy
Old 10-01-2006, 07:36 AM
r-c-guy

Hi,

Thanks for the ideas and encouragement. I will try your ideas. Incidentally, the wheel-wells are covered with mylar, but it is very hard to see. They are not filled in as I may retrofit retracts into this wing too if my fuse-mounted ones don't work out.

My friend (rbranchii) has suggested redesigning the wheelpants and using prather racing wheels... I am going to try it.

Any suggestions on the engine cowl? Should it cover the entire pipe length?

randy
Old 10-01-2006, 09:39 AM
Cyclic Hardover

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf98063.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	533247  
Old 10-01-2006, 02:56 PM
r-c-guy

Is it the Mustang wing or does it belong to something else? Very nicely done!

randy
Old 10-01-2006, 03:35 PM
r-c-guy

UPDATE:

We went out this morning. A day to dream of...75/sunny/5-10mph breeze.

I have played with a couple of props changing the diameter and then re-balancing them. Some fillets were also added. At first I did not see much difference - passes in the 170's. I thought the prop mods and fillets did not make any difference...... one last pass after a couple of one-third throttle passes to cool the engine. Climb out, roll ship, open throttle and 1/2 inside loop toward the ground. All I can say is wow. The OS Engine completely unloaded and staged twice... readout on download read 181.27mph.....Top speed recorded on gps 179.81 ground speed. Top rpm 23,075. However the pass was into a small breeze so the airspeed was probably more correct. The engine is now reaaalllll looooose. I am changing the bearing for safety sake per Bob27S's recommendation. No marks on the piston or sleeve, but there is some bearing play. The glow plug survived the flight.

Onward to retracts and the Rossi !

Old 10-01-2006, 05:02 PM
Cyclic Hardover

ORIGINAL: r-c-guy

Is it the Mustang wing or does it belong to something else? Very nicely done!

randy

Thats the purple one same as yours rebuilt and clipped the wings back a bit. Whistles work great. Take a few inches off the wing. Its an easy mod and try it before you switch engines
Old 10-02-2006, 08:17 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Id say at this point, take that engine and pipe out of the plane, fabricated a carbon 10x12 prop, built something intended to go fast, and plan to go over to germany next fall [&:] Especially if it is well behaved and is multi-staging well, the combination is golden.

Old 10-02-2006, 09:10 AM
r-c-guy

Thanks for the encouragement!
It sounds like a plan... The Mustang will be decommissioned as soon as we try the retracts. As for Germany, that may pose problems although maybe........

I have an old Formula One wing-all composite and 55 inches in span. I will work on a fuse for it using the .91 or 1.05 and design the power area to accept either power source.

thanks again
randy
Old 06-14-2007, 10:05 PM
r-c-guy

To Razor,

I have not been doing speed for a while. But now I am back. I took your advice and got a BVM 96 from Dave Shadel. He was kind enough to set it up for propellor use and suggest a ring around the front bearing for added support. He also did some other work on my OS 91 vrdf's. He is an exceptional craftsman.

Since I have not finished the new bird, I retrofitted it into the old purple mustang. I also eliminated some additional drag by cleaning up the cowls a bit. After a few breakin flights I was hitting 194 mph with the pitot and 192 with the gps. Prop rpm was slightly over 24000. Fuel was 15% omega with additional castor oil. Dave Shadel has since suggested using 15% jet fuels. I will order soe since I do not wish to see this engine be unhappy!

The BVM is unreal and it is still not fully leaned out. I am in the market for 10-10 or 10-11 cf props. So far I have been unable to locate any sources except for Europe. I am ordering some from them.

Fuel consumption is also unreal... over 5 oz per minute! But I am definitely not complaining.

We are now finishing a Proud Bird spanning 60 inches. It is fully cowled and we will probably make up a sleek cowl and eliminate the blisters. The wing is smaller and thinner than the Mustang's and the landing gear less obtrusive. The weight factor is also less. This should allow us to go the targetted 200 mph.

randy

Old 01-28-2009, 09:54 PM
cavandish

what does the rossi weigh ?

thats a serious gash just above your thumb in the last picture ?
Old 01-29-2009, 10:34 AM
r-c-guy

Hi
The Rossi is 5-6 oz heavier than the os91vrdf or bvm91. The bvm has both beat.
The gash was from a friends pusher.... In a senior moment, I forgot the prop was back there. (Stupid error #17.)

randy
Old 01-29-2009, 11:18 AM
rjbranchii

Randy

Hi. I checked my list. Stupid error # 16 is forgetting the prop is in the front. The two seem to be related.

bob
Old 02-06-2009, 11:06 AM
r-c-guy

Now I am confused about which is which stupid error!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:39 AM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: r-c-guy

I can only tell you what the Eagletree readout states. We checked it against my van at 60 mph and it was within one mph of the states speed of the speedometer of the van. I cannot calibrate it at 150 or any other value over 70 or 80 mph since it is illegal to go that fast.
Illegal only if you get caught..
find a dragstrip in your area... put eagle tree in car that does about 150 thru the timing traps
find an airstrip and chevy dealer, take a Corvette Z06 for a test drive, add Eagletree, & visit the airstrip make test runs