Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Anyone tried stuffing a Jett 90 into a Patriot?

Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Anyone tried stuffing a Jett 90 into a Patriot?

Old 12-04-2002, 02:24 PM
Dustflyer
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anyone tried stuffing a Jett 90 into a Patriot?

Have you seen Bob Holme's Patriot on the Jett "Hall of Fame?" With a Jett 90 turning a cut-down 11 X 12 at 16,000 rpm he claims 190 mph on radar (out of a dive, no doubt, but that's OK for me)

I tried getting a hold of him with no success. I was curious what mods or re-balancing might be necessary for that engine.

I thought it would be great fun to have an airplane as fast as a Whiplash or Diamond Dust but with the luxury of an actual set of real life landing gear!

Anyone given this a try?
Old 12-04-2002, 06:03 PM
pdxpaul
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Patriot

I don't know where to find Bob Holmes, but I think this is his website.

http://www.geocities.com/area51/portal/5194/

Paul
Old 12-04-2002, 06:36 PM
Dustflyer

Default Bob Holmes

Paul,

The web site is still up but last updated January 1999.

The e-mail address on the site is the same one I used some time ago but received no reply.

The big question I had regards the added weight of the engine which I believe is almost another pound over a typical 46. I was wondering about the flight characteristics and if he had to move the battery pack and possibly the elevator and rudder servos all the way to the tail.
Old 12-05-2002, 01:00 AM
Dave Barrow-RCU

The battery pack, elevator, throttle, Nose gear retract and rudder servo's already mount behind the wing in my Patriot, and that's with a ST Como.51 and Macs muffled tuned pipe. You would have to add lead back there if you add an extra pound up front. A full length tuned pipe would mount further back, and would offset some of the weight though.
Old 12-10-2002, 06:06 PM
Blue Skyy
My Feedback: (3)

Default Jett .90 Patriot

Yeah that Bob Holmes character is a hard guy to find. Hey that's Me!

2 years ago I put a Jett.90 AAC into a Patriot with very good success if you remember a couple things. The landing gear is flimsy and fragile and thank goodness we have a smooth concrete runway 300' long. Even at that I bent the gear on nearly every landing (mains are the problem). Place the engine as close to the firewall as possible and don't use an alum. engine mount. You will have to modify the mount to even get it on the firewall. I completely rebuilt the tail to beef it up. An 8 lb. plane on the original tail probably will snap. I only had to add about 2 oz to the tail to balance it. The cowling is custom made to fit the Jett .90. I change the muffler and flew on a tuned pipe to move the CG back a little more yet. I also cut open the bottom tail section and installed a 1200mah long glider battery back there. The control surfaces were all redone to prevent flutter. High torque servos with 4-40 rods directly to the horns. The tail rods were still internal but redesigned to make the elevator straight across the back to eliminate the original torque rod design. It still allowed a pull for verticle.

Over all the plane was a pain to fly for the reasons of 5 min flight times max., and you had to be careful not to pull too many Gs or the Patriot wing would likely fold on you. I dreaded every landing because the gear wasn't made to handle an 8 lb plane and you sweat everytime. A grass field? Forget it.

Still in the air on a speed run, you could firewall the throttle and that plane would keep up with any but the fastest ducted fans. In fact coming out of a dive this plane would push so much air, the sound was like a WOMP then a whoosh rather than just a whoosh!

That AAC that Dub used to make would turn a lot harder than the stuff I have bought in the past 2 years including the Jetfire .95. In fact I have an .90 AAC with over 100 flights on it and I still have trouble turning the prop over to start it.

Hope this helps guys.

Bob Holmes

P.S. Thanks Gary Hamm for letting me know about the thread.
Old 12-11-2002, 12:20 AM
guntop

Default i am thinking of using my ys 45

anyone have this combo? how did it fly?
dave
Old 12-11-2002, 06:31 AM
Razor-RCU
My Feedback: (50)

Default Aha!

I have the same combo but mine is not finished yet... You using a SE or RE?

Other than Jetts and Nelsons I think the YS-45 is the best option for this plane!

Try a search for "Patriot", or "prop-jet" seems the motor debate on the Pat has come up a couple of times...

Keep in touch and let me know how yours does! I build slow and I have 2 other projects in front of that one

james
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	40400_6032.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	69.1 KB
ID:	24382  
Old 12-11-2002, 01:32 PM
guntop

Default hey razor

hey razor, i like the size of the intakes on the pat on the left.
i was thinking of doing the same thing!!!
Old 12-15-2002, 03:22 PM
Dustflyer

Default Patriot

Bob,

I just got back into town and was very excited to see your reply!

Your Patriot must have really been something to see in flight.

Now that I know what's involved, I'm not sure I really want to tackle all the issues associated with stuffing that 90 into the Patriot, at least not right away.

A good old Jett 50 might be a good starting point for me. After a while I'm sure I'd get bored and motivated enough to go for the big 90.

Thanks again for your input. Keep us informed on your other high-speed projects!
Old 12-18-2002, 02:13 PM
AQ500

I recently obtained a a Patriot kit. I had one a couple of years ago that went in on a dead stick dumb thumb. It had a piped MDS 58 on the nose. It was a fairly fast airplane and I miss it. I flew it for about a year. The MDS was a good motor but very tempermental.

The new one that I'm going to start building in a couple of weeks will have a Jett 60L FIRE mounted on the nose with their long pipe. A 60 in a 40 case. I'm hoping for 140-150 MPH. I'm going with the rear exhaust and will run the pipe right down the side of the fuselage. It will be ugly, but the pipe will be out of the way of the retracts and wing.

I also have a Jett 50. Once you buy a Jett you have to have another one. I'm also a higher altitude flier and need the extra power. After researching motors for a couple of months, I think the FIRE 60 L will give me a fast light plane that will really rip.

I raised the firewall by 1/2 inch last time to fit a 12 ounce tank and the nose retract. I'm going to do the same thing this time.
Old 12-19-2002, 08:43 PM
Blue Skyy

Dustflyer,

I will try over the Christmas holidays to post a report on an O.S. VR-DF .91 ducted fan engine I have been flying on a 38" WS delta wing. (Kinda like a composite version of a Diamond Dust) It puts the Patriot to shame in raw speed and performance. I take-off with a steerable dolly because it takes 75 to 100' for take-off with the very high pitch props and small diameters I'm running. I'll also try to get a photo up for you as well.

Bob Holmes
Old 12-20-2002, 04:13 PM
aerowolf

Default DF 91

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Blue Skyy
[B]Dustflyer,

I will try over the Christmas holidays to post a report on an O.S. VR-DF .91 ducted fan engine I have been flying on a 38" WS delta wing.

Bob, sounds like your doing what I've been considering. However, my choice plane is a small 40 sized warbird. Do you have any prop spinning data with that DF 91 of yours? I would greatly appreciate any updates and data you can share. By the way I have a post under Extreme Speed Prop Planes (Ducted Fan With Prop?). If you get a chance let me know what you think about it.

A jett 90 sounds pretty good spinning a 11x12 at 16000, but I really would like an engine capable of spinning a 12x12 at 16000 or better. Is there an engine that will do that for us?

Thanks,

Rudy (Aerowolf)
Old 12-30-2002, 06:22 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

I have a Jett .50 in my ARF patriot..... moves along quite nicely

I did beef up a few things toward the back end, but nothing that affected CG too much. Weight is about on target to 'advertised' weight. I have an old set of MK retracts installed, and they seem to handle the plane well.

Bob Brassell
Old 12-30-2002, 07:24 PM
Blue Skyy

Default Jett Patriot .90

Here's a shot of the Jett .90 in the Patriot. CG works out to about 3/8ths of an inch forward of the recommended CG by Great Planes. Weighs in at 7.75 lbs Check out the twist on that prop!

Bob Holmes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	43850_21364.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	24383  
Old 12-31-2002, 12:35 AM
AQ500

Is that a plastic spinner? Scary at 16,000+ RPM.
Old 12-31-2002, 01:14 AM
Rudeboy

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Speed trap

Check this out...Patriot caught by speed trap... LOL http://www.jo-schaeffler.de/CrashFot...riotCrash1.jpg
Old 01-09-2003, 01:50 AM
CORDY

Default patriot - webra 50 - tunedpipe

WHAT ABOUT THIS COMBINATION ?

STILL FINISHING SOME DETAILS.
I REALLY WANT THIS PLANE TO FLY FAST.

PLS COMMENT

ALSO PLS ADV PROP SIZE

RGRD