Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Its Bobcat nice

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 04:34 PM
TOMMYSTA
My Feedback: (15)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Its Bobcat nice

WHat do you guys think of the YS45 as a power plant??....they used them in the Combat Models jets that weighed 7-8 lbs...I have a couple of those looking for a home as well an old YS60 and YS61 long stoke eng.....those YS's sure put out gobs of power...

Thanks
Tom
Old 08-14-2006, 09:57 PM
Crazy4Flight
My Feedback: (540)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Big Daddy-RCU

Does anyone know where in the U.S. you can buy the Richmodel Keecat??

A word of caution on richmodel....I bought a Quicke and long-ez from them. The Quicke has a RH and LH wheel pants. The ARF I received has TWO LH wheel pants for SIX months now I have been waiting for a RH wheel pant !!@!! Several Emails have gone unanswered. [:@][:@][:@][][&:][sm=drowning.gif][sm=punching.gif][sm=punching.gif]
Old 08-14-2006, 10:23 PM
Crazy4Flight

Now back on track...

I planned to use my JETT 60 LX FIRE... and route the JDE. muffler into the fuse by opening up the hole for the fuel lines. Looks like I will have to lower the engine by cutting the mounts down and carving clearance in the fuse for the crankcase.

After opening the box I found:

8 SERVOS has been a big question and the answer is:
2 Aileron Standard size servo
2 Elevator Mini servo note one servo will need reversing
2 Rudder Mini servo
1 Throttle Standard
1 Steering-nose wheel Standard size servo

Aileron servo pockets are about 16 mm too long for a standard servo, width is correct!
Rudder and elevator servos mount into the tail booms. Horz. stab fits into pockets in each boom ( I hope I got a right and left side). Then held in place with a screw on each side. Directions suggest to glue the wing panel to the fuse. BTW the instruction manual is the non-lingual type.

The airframe weight is about 4 pounds on a bathroom scale. ( NO: ENGINE OR RADIO)
Fuse is rather heavy in the glass work. Formers glued in 100%. Servo tray is doubled for the mounting screws to get a good bite into.

More to come as I dig a little deeper into this bird.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52068.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	507533   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72569.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	507534   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ty65468.jpg
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	507535  
Old 08-15-2006, 10:15 AM
AGR413
My Feedback: (1)

Hey thanks for the info, but can you tell us when you say Mini servo are we talking HS-55 size or HS-85 size. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:00 PM
parrthd

Aileron servo pockets are about 16 mm too long for a standard servo, width is correct!
i think the mounting rails of the servos will be recessed so only the arm will protrude above the surface. if that's the case then added length will have recessed rails under then.
Old 08-15-2006, 03:46 PM
Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: AGR413

Hey thanks for the info, but can you tell us when you say Mini servo are we talking HS-55 size or HS-85 size. Thanks.

HS-81 & HS-85 will fit and have enought torque the 55 is for parkflyers

bob
Old 08-15-2006, 03:55 PM
AGR413

ORIGINAL: Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: AGR413

HS-81 & HS-85 will fit and have enought torque the 55 is for parkflyers

bob
Thanks, I almost edited my post when I looked at it later the 55 is a tough servo but I could not imagine putting it in this.
Old 08-17-2006, 01:57 AM
angelrcdesign
My Feedback: (40)

Hey Bob

I have talk to David he said in about 1 to 1-1/2 months . I left him my info, so that he can tell me the price when it come in.
I will let you guys know.

I cancel Nitro models bobcat . Why ,,,,,,, I order it , and it was in stock Then week and a 1/2 later . it was sold out can you believe that. Then a have to
wait 2 months for it ,and the price went up to $169.oo.

I will wait for the bigger one.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:47 AM
AGR413

When did you order? I ordered last friday and my order has been shipped.
Old 08-17-2006, 11:32 AM
Razorback58
My Feedback: (8)

Does anyone have any video of this one?
Old 08-17-2006, 05:34 PM
MarkF

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Guys, I am in the middle of coverting mine to electric. Does anyone think it will be ok to use just one servo on the elevator. Its only got 1 controll serface. Well I think I'm going to give it a shot. By the way does spinning a 9 X 6 at 30,000 sound about right for this bird [X(]. I should have it ready for the next revvers meet in Oct.

Mark
Old 08-17-2006, 05:50 PM
angelrcdesign
My Feedback: (40)

It was on the 4th that I order one.
Old 08-17-2006, 06:55 PM
AGR413

Mine arrived today
Old 08-17-2006, 06:57 PM
AGR413

I wonder what electric set up would be good for this, I am really not liking the idea of exhaust all over my investment
Old 08-17-2006, 11:26 PM
NoOneFlysAtMyClub
My Feedback: (32)

I am three days into the build of mine [white one]. At first glance it appeared to be well done. Here is what I have done so far;

The booms are to be mounted to the wings with two small nylon bolts. In my opinion, not enough security there. Replaced with steel bolts. The blind nut mount in the front of the boom is not indexed to the boom sides and pulled out when I tightened the mounting bolts. Epoxied back in place. No further problem there. The front mounting hole in the wing for the boom was not deep enough to allow the bold to get into the blind nut. Drilled it deeper. There is only balsa in there so be careful and drip thin CA into the hole to harden it before you mount the booms. Also, the contour of the boom does not match the airfoil of the wing toward the leading edge and will need to be sealed with some white covering to make it look better.

Elevator requires two servos. One in each boom. Hitec 225's fit but one will need to be reversed if you don't want to run one rod on the opposite end of the servo arm on one servo. Not a big deal but a reversed servo would be the way to go. Is it possible to reverse a 225? And if so how? I want to go that route but don't know how it is done.

Fiberglass fuselage is beautiful. Wing tube hole is cut and the front pin and servo lead areas are indexed in the fuse. Very nice paint work for a ARF!!

One aileron bevel was cut way off center. I recut the hinge slots to match the off bevel so I would not have to try to find some covering to match. Seems to be fine.

Same problem with one rudder. Same solution.

I am now on hold until I figure out the servo reverse thing.

By the way my power choices are; Super Tigre .90 or Moki .61 long stroke[I have both]. No decision made yet. I will see how the balance comes out before I decide. I am leaning toward the .90. You can always throttle back right?????

More to come!!!

Anyone else start their's yet???

Tony
Old 08-17-2006, 11:40 PM
Crazy4Flight

ORIGINAL: roadtripessentials

Elevator requires two servos. One in each boom. Hitec 225's fit but one will need to be reversed if you don't want to run one rod on the opposite end of the servo arm on one servo. Not a big deal but a reversed servo would be the way to go. Is it possible to reverse a 225? And if so how? I want to go that route but don't know how it is done.

I am now on hold until I figure out the servo reverse thing.

More to come!!!

Anyone else start their's yet???

Tony

Tony,

1) you can buy Reversed servos from Hobby Horse or servo city
2) you can Y servo lead with a built in reverser, most have an adjustment to center the servo
3) With a 7+ channel computer radio mix elevator to an open aux channel. You should be able to: reverse servo, set the center position (with sub trim) & set the end points too.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:23 AM
sea fury

Is the wing a bolt on, or is it glued on? That is the only thing stopping me from getting one, need to know how the wing mounts for transportation to the field.............
Old 08-18-2006, 12:44 PM
Flyboy Dave
My Feedback: (21)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The wings glue on. These are two wing tubes that serve as joiners, one fat one
and one thin one. It would be possible to rig the wings ups with better wing
tubes and bolts, but it would be risky.

>>>Edit:...in pic #1, "AB" means parts A&B of epoxy.

FBD.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Hf97881.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	509172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bx74040.jpg
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	509173   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw58394.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	36.9 KB
ID:	509174  
Old 08-18-2006, 01:21 PM
MarkF

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

The wings dont have to be glued on. I drilled and tapped a hole in each half so I can secure them with screws. Again I dont see why you need 2 servos on the elevator. Its only one surface and a small one at that.
This plane will break down very nicely for transportation. I should have mine done in 2 weeks and will post pics.

Mark
Old 08-18-2006, 02:52 PM
parrthd

Again I dont see why you need 2 servos on the elevator. Its only one surface and a small one at that
maybe at the fast speeds this plane is capable of they've had a "foresight" about servos stripping?

i dunno just my 2cents worth.
Old 08-18-2006, 03:26 PM
haze_b

I wonder what electric set up would be good for this, I am really not liking the idea of exhaust all over my investment

< Message edited by AGR413 -- 8/18/2006 12:59:16 AM >

For an electric setup, I've had a lot of success with the following power systems for 46 size planes:

AXI 2826/10 (2826/8 if you want more speed, but higher amp draw)
Phoenix 45 ESC (Phoenix 65 if using a 2826/8)
PolyQuest 4 Cell 4400 lipos (dpending on prop, should give you about 10min flight time (cruise) 6min (full power).

www.Hobby-Lobby.com is a great source for info about electric conversions.

If you're new to electrics, it can be a bit expensive initially (lipo's are pricey and need a special charger) but in the long run, IMO,you will be very satisfied with electric over glow.
Old 08-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: MarkF

Again I dont see why you need 2 servos on the elevator. Its only one surface and a small one at that.
Mark
Just a guess, but I think the orginal design was duplicated as much as possible and only modified where it needed to be. In the BVM Bobcat they used two mini servos to control the elevator because the elevator is very thin and the plane tops out at 200mph (flutter is just waiting to happen). I suspect this one to fly around 100-120mph (with retracts), so you should not need two. I've also seen scratch built prop versions of this plane about the same size as this use one servo and they flew just fine.

Just my $0.02

Mods
Old 08-22-2006, 02:37 AM
XJet
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ed_Moorman
Prop strike might me a bigger problem. I see they use a 3-blade, but I have flown a bunch of pushers and I don't recall a 3-blade pusher. Maybe there is one.
I think that if you look *very* carefully at the pictures on the NitroPlanes website, the 3-bladed prop they've got fitted to that motor is a conventional tractor prop -- just look at the blade angles -- oooh!

Are my eyes playing tricks perhaps?
Old 08-22-2006, 04:56 AM
Mods-R-Me

I concur. 3 blades are the way to go on this bird. It give you an extra inch of prop clearance. For those of you that want to go "all out", Dub Jett offers a counter rotating cranckshaft on his engines (the engine runs backwards) for only $25.00 extra. This will allow you to use any regular prop in a pusher configuration. Will also open up a wide array of prop choices.

Mods
Old 08-22-2006, 08:58 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

ORIGINAL: Flyboy Dave

The wings glue on. These are two wing tubes that serve as joiners, one fat one
and one thin one. It would be possible to rig the wings ups with better wing
tubes and bolts, but it would be risky.

>>>Edit:...in pic #1, "AB" means parts A&B of epoxy.

FBD.
Looking at your landing gear photo - almost looks like there are DOTS or holes jsut fwd of the gear where a screw would be used to hold the wing on the wing tube ??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.