Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Modkat (Kingcat like design and build)

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Modkat (Kingcat like design and build)

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2010, 08:03 PM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kingcat-Like Design and Build

ORIGINAL: LGM Graphix

So......... any progress with this one or is it dead in the water?
I hope all the crappy chinese bobcat copies haven't put this one on the shelf, a nice quality one like it looks like you're doing would be awesome.
Not dead, just hibernating . The cnc machine is just about done. Had major set back last month when the nema 34 steppers were locking up. Had to convert my motors to AC servos ($1000+). Here's a pics of where I'm at now. I can update the machine progress here if you want? Anyone interested in DIY CNC?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl28612.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	190.5 KB
ID:	1500468   Click image for larger version

Name:	Id96127.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	188.9 KB
ID:	1500469   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ch95112.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	1500470   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30782.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	208.3 KB
ID:	1500471   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79590.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	1500472  
Old 09-14-2010, 03:22 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

Hey Mods did you ever finish that AKM su 27, I would like to find out how the stabilators worked.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: smoknrv4

Hey Mods did you ever finish that AKM su 27, I would like to find out how the stabilators worked.
Not yet. I put all of my projects on hold until the CNC machine is done.

PS. If you think the flanker was cool you should see what I'm going to build after it's done .
Old 10-01-2010, 12:17 PM
Mike2735
My Feedback: (3)

I just found this thread. All I can say is "AWESOME." You have done some amazing work. I have tried my hand at designing planes. And I too, decided to build a cnc machine to cut my own parts. This thread just gives me more inspiration. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more updates.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: Mike2735

I just found this thread. All I can say is ''AWESOME.'' You have done some amazing work. I have tried my hand at designing planes. And I too, decided to build a cnc machine to cut my own parts. This thread just gives me more inspiration. Keep up the good work. Looking forward to more updates.
Thanks. I'm willing to help if you need it. Are you a member of cnczone.com?

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _

It has been almost four years since my last "Modkat" related post, but that will change soon.......My machine is just about done. Still have to do a few odds and ends to seal everything up, but that won't take more than a few weeks. I'm shooting for late November as my "official" return to RCU.

For those of you who have been waiting; thank you for your patience.

Kelvin

Name:	Nl29002.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	210.7 KB
ID:	1522174   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ni22779.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	1522175   Click image for larger version

Name:	Di99194.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	1522176   Click image for larger version

Name:	Au55981.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	226.0 KB
ID:	1522177  
Old 10-24-2010, 06:36 PM
Mike2735

Thank you for the offer. I will take you up on it. I have been at a little of a stand still. I just bought a house with a 30'X50' shop on the property and am closing part of that in for my workshop. As soon as that is done, I will get back on my CNC machine.
Old 11-11-2010, 10:19 PM
mshay

so is the modcat done yet its been 3 years?
Old 11-12-2010, 06:29 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: mshay

so.... did you read the last few posts to find out what he's been up to over the last 3 years?
Old 11-12-2010, 03:58 PM
mshay

so.... did you read the last few posts to find out what he's been up to over the last 3 years?
nope but refer to my previous post, i asked is the modcat done? not what have you been up to the past 3 years.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:39 PM
Mods-R-Me

nope but refer to my previous post, i asked is the modcat done? not what have you been up to the past 3 years.
CAD-wise the Modkat is done. What LGM is refering to is the CNC machine progress. I stopped building the fuse plug back in 07 to start building my CNC machine. The CNC machine will cut out the new plug once it is done. I've been toying around with the concept of going 100% composite (wings, fuse, booms, etc), but time will tell on that. The CNC machine is functionally done, but still have install a dust collector and twin air filters (I'm expecting a lot of dust from sanding). The plug will be made from bluecore foam covered with fiberglass and will be 100% CNC cut.

Stay Tuned. Shouldn't be long now.
Old 11-12-2010, 05:57 PM
mshay

ok great
Old 01-31-2011, 12:38 AM
Mods-R-Me

Mods-R-Me's Official Return to RCU!

I don't know how many of you are still following this, but the CNC Machine is done. Here are a few shots of my new manufacturing base.

Modkat construction will resume immediately with machining of the fuse plug. I am still debating on whether to go full composite or with the original plan of composite fuse and build-up wings/body. What do you guys think?

Kelvin

Name:	Nk27771.jpg
Size:	176.6 KB
ID:	1556234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kf12553.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	186.5 KB
ID:	1556235  
Old 01-31-2011, 05:04 AM
Mike2735

I am definately still following this thread. Thanks for the update. I hope my CNC comes out as good as yours.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:32 AM
mcdonald77

I am still on board for this, curious about the price though.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 AM
LGM Graphix
My Feedback: (22)

Received 59 Likes on 41 Posts

ORIGINAL: Mods-R-Me

I don't know how many of you are still following this, but the CNC Machine is done. Here are a few shots of my new manufacturing base.

Modkat construction will resume immediately with machining of the fuse plug. I am still debating on whether to go full composite or with the original plan of composite fuse and build-up wings/body. What do you guys think?

Kelvin

Kelvin,
I think the project is great, the CNC looks awesome, but at this point, I can't help but think you'd be much further ahead with a different design. Since the inception of this project, there has been many more bobcat / kingcat copies come out, most recently the "Tornado" from Modellbau USA. The airplane is being sold for $475 with fuel tank and retracts. I think the market on this design is pretty saturated at this point unfortunately. The nice thing, is with your CNC, you can do almost any airplane design you want.
I'm not trying to be discouraging, just being honest, if you hope to make any sales, you will either need a ridiculously low price (which IMO would not be worth it to you to do them unless you can make some money) or you will need a unique subject again.
Either way, I am still following this thread, I think it's very cool and again, I'm not trying to be discouraging, I'm just not 100% sure what your intent was with this airplane, whether it be to just do it for yourself, or to try to sell some in the end. Yours definitely looks better (from your earlier hand made plugs) but I just don't know that there will be much of a market for it today.
Jeremy
Old 01-31-2011, 09:26 AM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: Mods-R-Me

Kelvin

Kelvin,
I think the project is great, the CNC looks awesome, but at this point, I can't help but think you'd be much further ahead with a different design. Since the inception of this project, there has been many more bobcat / kingcat copies come out, most recently the ''Tornado'' from Modellbau USA. The airplane is being sold for $475 with fuel tank and retracts. I think the market on this design is pretty saturated at this point unfortunately. The nice thing, is with your CNC, you can do almost any airplane design you want.
I'm not trying to be discouraging, just being honest, if you hope to make any sales, you will either need a ridiculously low price (which IMO would not be worth it to you to do them unless you can make some money) or you will need a unique subject again.
Either way, I am still following this thread, I think it's very cool and again, I'm not trying to be discouraging, I'm just not 100% sure what your intent was with this airplane, whether it be to just do it for yourself, or to try to sell some in the end. Yours definitely looks better (from your earlier hand made plugs) but I just don't know that there will be much of a market for it today.
Jeremy
Copy that Jeremy. Thanks for being honest. I'm really not expecting to sell a bunch of these. At this point, I just want to finish what I've started. If I sell a few also; GREAT! You are right about making any design I want now. I've designed several UAVs in the last three years and they are 100% original. Just trying to get this plane off the bucket list.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:30 PM
HighPlains

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to see you back on RCU Kelvin. Some people might think the airplane is the goal, but I think the journey is more important.
Old 01-31-2011, 07:30 PM
smoknrv4
My Feedback: (11)

A "Labour Of Love" if you will. Nice to see your passion Kelvin, very impressive set-up too. I'll be watching!
I just spent a couple of hours today going thru this thread, to catch up, very interesting.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:35 AM
Mods-R-Me

Fuse Plug #2.1-0

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4mg4d8BfWM[/youtube]

Today was all about machining the fuse plug. I decided to use Multi-Density Fiberboard (MDF) as a plug material due to its low cost and ease of machining. My only problem was Lowe's did not carry 3in thick sheets of it. This required me to laminate multiple sheets of 0.75in MDF to get the proper thickness (figure 1). I used laminating epoxy as the bonding agent then clamped the sheets together and let sit for 12 hours at 85 degrees (figure 2).

My shop is not climate controlled, so you may ask "how did you get the plug to 85 degrees when ambient is below 50? Two words: electric blanket (figures 3 and 4). Picked it up from Wal-Mart for $35.00.

The roughing phase took 2 hours and total machine time was just under 3.5 hours (figures 5 and 6).

Here's a shot of the finished plug (figure 7). It's accurate within 0.001in and only requires a light sanding to remove the VERY small tooling marks (figure 8) [8D].

What's Next?
1. Sleep
2. Machine the Fuse Right Side
3. Machine Both Sides of Canopy
4. Eat?
Old 02-22-2011, 09:18 AM
Lomcevak Duck
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see some progress again. I'm still on board and would love to get a kit when they are available. I wouldn't mind doing beta testing either [8D]
Old 02-22-2011, 05:11 PM
mcdonald77

I am still onboard
Old 02-22-2011, 06:26 PM
Mods-R-Me

Glad to see some progress again. I'm still on board and would love to get a kit when they are available. I wouldn't mind doing beta testing either
I am still onboard
Thanks for checking in guys. You're on the list. If you think this plane is cool, just wait to see my next design!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:15 PM
Mods-R-Me

Fuse Plug #2.1-1

Right Side's Done!

What's Next?

1. Machine the Fuse Right Side - Check
2. Machine Both Sides of Canopy
3. Epoxy soak CNC'd parts
4. Join fuse and canopy halves
5. Spray light coat of primer and make small repairs
6. Make mold

Name:	Fd91644.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	1569018   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56587.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	79.8 KB
ID:	1569019  
Old 04-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Mods-R-Me

Fuse Plug #2.1-2

Fuse plug is joined ad ready for canopy lines!

The last month has been a learning experience. Having a CNC machine is awesome, but operator error still prevails [&:]. It cut the models 99% accurate (even the errors). I noticed several errors in the plug and attributed them first to the machine and could find nothing wrong. Turns out that the model contained errors and they were so small I didn't notice. The errors were minor so I decided to fix them manually rather than cut a new plug. Below is a play-by-play of the process.

First, I epoxy soaked the fuse and canopy to give the primer a good bonding surface (figure 1). Second, I joined both halves with a THIN layer of epoxy and colloidal silica (figure 2).

Then, I used 0.25in dowels as alignment pins for the canopy (figures 3 & 4). Next, I routed a few large holes in the fuse and used 0.25in washers as receivers (figures 5 & 6).

Finally, the whole fuse was sprayed with Duratec High build primer only to be sanded completely off and reapplied right afterwards (figures 5 & 6). The first coat was to fill in the millions of tiny pinholes left on the MDF surface.

Fuse Plug #2.1-3

Now time the dreaded canopy seam [:@]. Last time, I mixed the filler way too think and couldn't sand it off. This killed my last plug four years ago and I didn't want to make the same mistake again. This time, I used packing tape as a epoxy barrier (a lot thinner compared to painter tape). Next, I mixed a very thin set of epoxy and silica paste. There wasn't much of a seam to begin with since the model was CNC cut, but did it anyway for giggles. Then, the canopy was clamped to the fuse and allowed to dry (figures 7 & 8).

After some light sanding here it is ready for canopy lines.

I'm torn between the F-16 and F-15E canopies. The F-16 is simpler, but I like the look of the 2 seat-er fighter/bomber. What do you guys think?

What's Next?

1. Machine the Fuse Right Side -Check
2. Machine Both Sides of Canopy -Check
3. Epoxy soak CNC'd parts -Check
4. Join fuse and canopy halves -Check
5. Spray light coat of primer and make small repairs -Check
6. Make Canopy Lines
6. Make mold

Name:	Ay74198.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	208.6 KB
ID:	1591246   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vq50243.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1591247  
Old 04-15-2011, 05:21 PM
reeseman9
My Feedback: (4)

The canopy looks to me to be more suited to the F-16 but it's your design. It'll look great either way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.