Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Extreme Speed Prop Planes
Reload this Page >

Modkat (Kingcat like design and build)

Community
Search
Notices
Extreme Speed Prop Planes Discuss the need for speed with fast prop planes (Screamin Demon, Diamond Dust, Shrikes or any REAL sound breakin'''' plane)

Modkat (Kingcat like design and build)

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2006, 10:21 AM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Kingcat-Like Design and Build

socket tube are socket tubes

Usually paper/phenolic tubes are better in my experience - they will not crack like fiberglass can.

For a project some time ago, I actually 'rolled my own' tubes. Was not hard. Made them out of paper, fiberglass, and a combiantion of both. For that project, it did not seem that it mattered much.

The joiner tube is the important item.
Old 10-27-2006, 01:50 PM
Strykaas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mods,

why don't you build a CNC machine like that ? It would save you the huge costs of laser cutting ...

Old 10-30-2006, 12:46 AM
Mods-R-Me
My Feedback: (1)

ORIGINAL: Strykaas

Mods,

why don't you build a CNC machine like that ? It would save you the huge costs of laser cutting ...
If only I had the space . My shop is a 8 x 4 storage space. Maybe I'll PCS to a house with a garage next.

__________________________________________________ ___________________________________________

The design has been finalized (figure 1) with a few changes to the landing gear length. Had to extend the robostrut gear length another 0.7in to get the required 10 degrees of prop clearance on landing and take-off (figures 2 & 3). This is a great thing because I had cut them to their minimum length for a better "taxi" look but now I have some room to spare. Also, started creating the .dwg laser cutter files (figure 4) and should have them competed shortly. Then, the plug........

Mods
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76603.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	551030   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68940.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	24.6 KB
ID:	551031   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kq35712.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	551032   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rk24149.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	41.4 KB
ID:	551033  
Old 10-30-2006, 01:57 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

[sm=thumbup.gif][sm=thumbup.gif]
Old 10-30-2006, 01:57 PM
coolitdown40

Nice work so far Mods, keep up the good work.

Eventually, I plan to put a FPV video system on this plane and seeing how space is limited would you have any advice for adding wingtip or under the wing compartments like some modern jets carry extra fuel to carry batteries or other equipment?

Have you thought of a paint scheme for yours yet? Personally I'm using monokote and still looking for a scheme.
Old 10-30-2006, 05:53 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: coolitdown40

Nice work so far Mods, keep up the good work.

Eventually, I plan to put a FPV video system on this plane and seeing how space is limited would you have any advice for adding wingtip or under the wing compartments like some modern jets carry extra fuel to carry batteries or other equipment?

Have you thought of a paint scheme for yours yet? Personally I'm using monokote and still looking for a scheme.
A center mounted pylon right over the C.G. is possible. I would fly the pylon empty first to check flight characteristics. Then full with the camera. This would be a cool side project now that I think about it [sm=idea.gif].

Paint scheme [sm=confused.gif]. Not there yet.

Mods.
Old 10-31-2006, 01:27 AM
Ayrtonsenna

EGLIN TOWER (118.2 353.65 122.8R) This is Mods, I'm coming in hot....
Exceptional work, but then again, I'd expect nothing less from a future Topgun pilot!

"I want one....I need one" I'm next on the list please Mods!

Any chance you could post a shopping list of equipment not included with the kit, just to give some of us a head start, or in my case, parts I can start saving for!
(Servos / retracts / fueltank / etc)

Antony.
Old 10-31-2006, 10:17 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: Ayrtonsenna

EGLIN TOWER (118.2 353.65 122.8R) This is Mods, I'm coming in hot....
Exceptional work, but then again, I'd expect nothing less from a future Topgun pilot!

"I want one....I need one" I'm next on the list please Mods!

Any chance you could post a shopping list of equipment not included with the kit, just to give some of us a head start, or in my case, parts I can start saving for!
(Servos / retracts / fueltank / etc)

Antony.
Antony N43244 cleared to land, taxi via November, and hold short until Jan 07 for traffic . You're on the list.

Give me a second with the parts list. It's pretty long and I'm still evaluating manufacturers. Case in point, I just found these great flexible muffler couplers from Aerotrend (figures 1 & 2). They are flexible enough to make a 90 degree bend without constricting the muffler exhaust ID.

Thanks,

Mods

Name:	Om32992.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	154.4 KB
ID:	552223   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lg16292.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	552224  
Old 11-02-2006, 02:03 AM
Mods-R-Me

Almost done with the .dwg laser cutter files (figure 1). There are quite a few parts and this is just the wing. The plan is to have these cut first and assemble the wing then make the plug and fine tune the fuse formers with balsa mock-ups. Then create .dwg files for them as well. When complete, the manufacturing of the wooden kit components will all be done by laser. Should be able to sent the first files off by this weekend. Then, the plug.

Mods

Name:	Gd93882.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	552961  
Old 11-04-2006, 01:55 PM
Mods-R-Me

[sm=teeth_smile.gif]Design Phase-Complete[sm=teeth_smile.gif]

The laser cutter files have been finalized (figure 1) and sent to the cutter. Also, I'm introducing an auto aligning rib jig for the center wing panel (figures 2-4). This will ensure that the ribs are the correct distance from each other. This is critical for the ribs that will be in contact with the booms. It only has to be a few 1/16 of an inch off before a gap begins to develop between the stab and vertical fin (figure 5). Just in case I am including two 0.25in balsa filler ribs (one for each side of the stab). These will fill the gap, if any, between the fin and stabilizer.

The plug will be laser cut as well but not included in the kit (figures 6 & 7). It also does not need tools in the building process. To confirm that it fits the CAD model, I attached the real canopy assembly to the fuse plug and it was dead on (figure 8) [sm=shades_smile.gif]! Now I'm off to clean out the shop and build a hot wire foam cutter.

Would anyone like so see a "how to" on this process?

Mods

Name:	Xu62350.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	32.0 KB
ID:	554203   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ez81796.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	554204   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc78159.jpg
Size:	20.8 KB
ID:	554205   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81169.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	554206   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56801.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	554207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pu51845.jpg
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	554208   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sq48209.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	554209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jf11570.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	554210  

Old 11-05-2006, 03:12 PM
jinzo

Hey! Sweet work so far! Very impressive.

Sorry I've been away for a while. I've moved and started a new job. I'm still settling into my new place and finally getting around to working on projects again. Of course, there is a RC car club where I moved to and now I'm thinking about getting involved in that. Jeez. These darn hobbies are so addicting!

Keep up the awesome work. Can't wait to see pictures of the cut parts.
Old 11-05-2006, 06:58 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: jinzo

Hey! Sweet work so far! Very impressive.

Sorry I've been away for a while. I've moved and started a new job. I'm still settling into my new place and finally getting around to working on projects again. Of course, there is a RC car club where I moved to and now I'm thinking about getting involved in that. Jeez. These darn hobbies are so addicting!

Keep up the awesome work. Can't wait to see pictures of the cut parts.
Hey! long time no see. Cars are cool too, but you'll be back. They always come back.....
Old 11-07-2006, 07:12 AM
JetNoise

Hello,

It is good to finally see somebody that can use SolidWorks professionally. Please explain, in detail, how to get the pictures, TOP and SIDE view, into SW. I have tried every thing, and I can not get a picture to sit on a plane. I can only get a picture to sit infront of everything. All drawing etc is behind the picture and is not visible through the picture. [:@]

At this stage I have resorted to using AUTO CAD to trace pictures to do what you did in SW. [:-]

Please help.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 11-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Jim_Purcha
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How did you insert the pictures in the sketch plane? I'm actually trying to do loft a fuselage from an old Bob Violett plan from American Aircraft Modeler, the Shrike. I have photos, side profile and some sections views but no top view from the model plans. Found someone on the west coast who still has a kit from 1974, but he won't part with it at this time.

Jim
ORIGINAL: JetNoise

Hello,

It is good to finally see somebody that can use SolidWorks professionally. Please explain, in detail, how to get the pictures, TOP and SIDE view, into SW. I have tried every thing, and I can not get a picture to sit on a plane. I can only get a picture to sit infront of everything. All drawing etc is behind the picture and is not visible through the picture. [:@]

At this stage I have resorted to using AUTO CAD to trace pictures to do what you did in SW. [:-]

Please help.

Thanks,
Dale
Old 11-07-2006, 06:18 PM
ChrisMH

Open the sketch. Tools->Sketch Tools->Sketch Picture. Select the image file.

That's it.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:54 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: JetNoise

Hello,

Please help.

Thanks,
Dale
JetNoise,

Thanks for the complement. I was fortunate enough to get a Solidworks intro class during college. Best class I ever took.

Open the sketch. Tools->Sketch Tools->Sketch Picture. Select the image file.
This is the way I inserted the image but I took it a few steps further by scaling the image down to the size I wanted. Then, drew a centerline down each imported drawing. Next, create a sketch plane based off the centerline drawn on the imported picture. Finally create the sketch in the plane created previously. What version of SW do you use? PM me and I can send you an example.

Hope this helps,

Mods
Old 11-07-2006, 11:42 PM
Mods-R-Me

Foam Cutters Done! [sm=shades_smile.gif]

[link=http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_4968914/anchors_4968914/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#4968914]Hotwire Foam Cutter Thread[/link]
Old 11-10-2006, 01:20 PM
Mods-R-Me

Update: The prototype has been cut and will be here on Tuesday. The price was a little more than expected and I still have to factor in the cost of the composite materials. I will probably do another redesign to try and get the cost down further (i.e. use thinner sheets of ply, etc). Final price for the kit should be around $200-275. This weekend I'll be working on the website [link=http://www.mrm-rcmodels.com]MRM-RCModels[/link] and the next kit to be offered by MRM RCModels (figure 1)

Name:	Wu60579.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	557710  
Old 11-10-2006, 01:41 PM
coolitdown40

$200-275 is kinda steep for a kit but if you think about what your getting in this one.... I'd say its a deal!

As for the engine, do you think you could work out a deal with Jett by placeing a bulk order for the BSE FIRE .90L R/C. I'm sure there would be at least a few people in this forum alone that would be interested in that. If so, put me on that list too.

Keep up the good work!!!
Old 11-10-2006, 02:09 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: coolitdown40
As for the engine, do you think you could work out a deal with Jett by placeing a bulk order for the BSE FIRE .90L R/C. I'm sure there would be at least a few people in this forum alone that would be interested in that. If so, put me on that list too.
That's a very good question. Dub doesn't get a whole lot of orders for the counter rotating 0.90 FIRE's. I'll look into it or maybe Bob27 can chime in of he's around.

Mods
Old 11-10-2006, 02:17 PM
bob27s
My Feedback: (19)

I wouldn't count on it much. The FIRE 90 is about the most expensive (material and shop costs) engine Dub produces at the moment. But ya never know.

The counter-rotating crankshaft is already programed - not a huge deal. Just something he may want to keep in stock on a limited basis.

One alternative might be a header from Karl Muller - wrap around - if RE is deired. Not sure how that would work out pipe-wise though. The case case side exhaust engine is less expensive.

Mods, do you think the design might lend itself to having the engine side mounted in the future ? (cylinder at 90 deg, muffler over the top into the fuselage or slung under it ?)
Old 11-10-2006, 02:28 PM
Mods-R-Me

ORIGINAL: bob27s

Mods, do you think the design might lend itself to having the engine side mounted in the future ? (cylinder at 90 deg, muffler over the top into the fuselage or slung under it ?)
I was thinking about that myself. Anything is possible but I want to test the Alpha model first as a proof of concept. I'll probably have to mold the fuse and portion of the wings together to strenthen the set up. Might save some weight too.

Mods
Old 11-15-2006, 09:06 PM
Mods-R-Me

The Building Phase Has Begun!

Laser cutter files have arrived (figure 1) & AK-Models did a fabulous job. One of the plug sheets were mis-sized but I'm sure Alex will rectify that shortly. I'm still taking inventory to make sure everything is here. Should start seeing some "reality" pictures by this weekend when the mis-sized sheet comes in.

This is MRM-RCModel's first laser cut kit. I cannot describe the feeling that I have right now...well, maybe I can = [sm=shades_smile.gif] [sm=teeth_smile.gif][sm=49_49.gif]

Mods

Name:	Ge94196.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	561024  
Old 11-15-2006, 10:36 PM
angelrcdesign
My Feedback: (40)

Alex do a great job. He did my Rifle too.......
your project is coming along nicely

Good Luck with project.
Old 11-18-2006, 12:18 AM
Mods-R-Me

I received the mis-sized part today and began work on the fuse. I can honestly say that spending the hours on CAD planning the fuse plug's construction has paid off. All the components fit together perfectly and no special tools were required (figures 1 & 2). Just as a reference I attached the CAD rendering of the completed fuse plug and you can see the results. It only took 20 min to get the fuse to its present state. The only reason I stopped is it's 23:10 and running power tools would p!$$ off the neighbors. Tomorrow I'll add the foam filler blocks and start hot wiring. Then fill with spackle and start sanding.

More to come,

Mods

Update:

I have just launched the [link=http://www.mrm-rcmodels.com]MRM-RCModels[/link] website. You can check the Modkat's release date, kit progress, and sign up for the waiting list there as well. Please include the words "waiting list" in the subject line. Check it out.

Name:	Zx71964.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	562295   Click image for larger version

Name:	Dy79062.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	562296   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fc90507.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	36.5 KB
ID:	562297  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.